Pau Torres

Delphinho123

2 hours ago, Risso said:

You're right, Buendia is the football equivalent of a feisty little Yorkshire Terrier taking on an Alsatian. Torres looks too soft and nice for me. Great when we're bossing games against a lower standard of opposition but perhaps not so much when we're up against it. His passing is brilliant but when a bit of rearguard action is required, not sure he'll be that reliable. We'll see I suppose, I just don't think you can have agression and physicality coached into you.

We might need to get him on the gear.

Muscle, aggression and rage solution all in one. lol

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TRO said:

My interpretation of "Physicality" relating to the Premier league, is not the description you present. I am not suggesting the English game is full of "hard men" or in fact that is necessary to stay on your game, but I do suggest a lilly livered approach or a reluctance to get touch tight when necessary is a recipe for predators to exploit......Weakness can be illustrated in many ways in our game, and if you show it ( and standing off , is just one example)....its like sharks smelling blood, they will drive a coach and horses through it.

I am talking about engaging with an opponent, taking them on with an appetite to do so and challenging to put him off his game.....I am talking about holding your ground, when being on the ball.....I am talking about showing resistance to the press.

It can be with the ball or without the ball.....it can be on the floor or in the air, but if a player gets intimidated, the opponent will capitalise even more.

I am not suggesting thuggery, molestation, constant fouling or any such versions of that....I am talking about a combative approach and a willingness to let the opponent in no uncertain terms, you are there, within the rules of the game.

Passive football, is mediocre football.

If you examine the workings of the top teams, some of their more skilful players i.e Saka, Martinelli, Jesus, Foden, Salah etc ,etc .....all have an inbuilt acceptance, that it won't be an easy ride, and that they must embrace the physical challenge in order to deploy their skill set.

Hence the line....." You win the right to play football"

Our own Brian Little all those years ago did it with aplomb.

Great stuff, @TRO. I understand. Especially with the Liverpool match. you see some of our players failing to get stuck in in a game plan that simply can't allow disengagement. I've found that Kamara and McGinn are usually so good at keeping the heat turned up. I feel more concern about our forwards rather than Pau at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

An early call but I think his general play is way too slow for this league.

I get that we want to control games and dictate the play but when he's on the ball going forward everything is so terrifically slow. The opposition just get into their shape and there's no way through.

When he's defending he has zero urgency. Attackers just seem to ease past him. He also doesn't seem to be able to organise a defence which is a worry.

Seems to be a wonderful ball player but that's nowhere near enough.

The good and bad. Should have had an assist for Diaby, countless line breaking passes, excellent switches of play.

Turned into a turnstile for the goal and I’m relatively sure the ghost of James Collins overtakes him when he has to run in the open field. 

He doesn’t inspire much confidence when up against pace or power, which is unfortunately every week in the PL, but I believe he can improve with more time. He is very good with the ball which is a bonus over defending, but you can see his quality of passing. It’s superb really. 

• Like 1

Â