Pau Torres

Delphinho123

1 hour ago, Risso said:

One of the worst defensive displays you'll see, from him today. He's needs to get up to speed, and sharpish, because he looks slow and weak, with bad positioning. 

Unfortunately not much to disagree with here. A very bad day at the office on and off the ball. 

I’d say it was a welcome to the PL type of game but he already had that against Newcastle. 

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The 1st goal was so avoidable

Yep, the first goal is down to stubbornness, martinez should have hoofed it, torres should have hoofed it

There was one pass on, Digne, and Nunez knew it, he took the perfect angle in closing him down, just boot it up the pitch

He simply must be quality to achieve what he has so far in his career and be consistently picked for one of the best national sides in the world.

That being said he is clearly not ready and is going to take time to adjust, time that he was going to have but now doesn’t because of Mings’ injury. It’s honestly a catastrophe both in terms of him not yet being up to speed and thrown in the deep end, what that means for our defensive record, what that means for his confidence and what that means for the fans’ opinion of him.

Jesus the start of this season is just a total disaster. 

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

He simply must be quality to achieve what he has so far in his career and be consistently picked for one of the best national sides in the world.

That being said he is clearly not ready and is going to take time to adjust, time that he was going to have but now doesn’t because of Mings’ injury. It’s honestly a catastrophe both in terms of him not yet being up to speed and thrown in the deep end, what that means for our defensive record, what that means for his confidence and what that means for the fans’ opinion of him.

Star-crossed so far, but not a total disaster. At least we're getting results off weaker sides. 

We need to hang on until January and take it from there.

• Like 2

The attempted dribble out would have worked against 75% of teams, but surely he was aware of how well the Dippers press and defend from the front? 

He's a "John Stones" type of centre back and it took Stones 12-18 months to finally start to prove his worth at Citeh (despite coming from another premier league club).  I remember Unai stating that it was going to take them some time to get Pau ready for the premier league.  The Mings injury has put that plan in the dustbin.  Mings and Carlos are both physical players, with Konsa being somewhere in-between.  When Carlos went off injured today it was as big a hammer blow as when we lost Mings at Newcastle.  Forced a change of shape and playing Pau in a two with Konsa was always going to be a risk.  Despite what some speculated at the time, I don't believe Pau was ever brought in to compete with Mings, rather to compliment him and be used in some games in a back-four but mostly as part of a three.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Our play style didn't do him any favours today. That line against Salah, Diaz and Nunez with Trent pinging balls over the top was insane.

Yeah it’s an interesting choice to play a high line AND give opposition all the time they want to pick a through ball. I am sure it won’t be repeated. Emery isn’t an idiot. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

Worrying how slow and clumsy he looks defensively. We were told we were getting a Man City standard, Spain international, Champions League level defender who will elevate us to another level. He looks a million miles off it at the moment. He looks  more like a more skilful Carlos Cuellar. Playing against top teams is supposed to be his level. I really worry about his pace. Settling in is not going to make him any faster. 

You really don't get a Man City standard player when you only pay +30 something million. 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

His passing at times today was atrocious. Ypu cant take **** risks like he did today against the quality up top liverpool have. He will have to learn this quickly

The good ting is that it is actually quite easy to learn to not take risk. I would say that Mings learned this the hard way after some crazy risk taking which ended with goal agains us a couple of years ago.

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

10th after 4 games and through to the group stages of our first European competition for 13 years isn’t really my idea of disaster.

• Like 1

Â