Youri Tielemans

thejoker

35 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Rather he kept his actual thoughts behind closed doors (although he was asked directly and had to say something… maybe a shorter/simpler response would’ve been better) and with Unai… it’s early days, he will play. But… I don’t think he gets in over Luiz and Kamara over the long term.

He’s not as good as Luiz in terms of what he does/brings, nor Kamara (more in a defensive sense and when he’s on consistent form). Don’t think he’s suited to a wide midfield role either.

If he’s expecting to be a fixture of the team… I’m not sure those aspirations are that realistic. He gives us quality depth for sure, there are plenty of games and minutes to play. Can he accept a rotational role?

7 minutes ago, KMitch said:

lol...  He just got here, the season just started, and he's already complaining about not starting to the media.  I didn't want him at Villa because his well documented character issues at both Leicester and Monaco and what do you know?  It's already starting here...  If you watched him last season he wasn't bothered at all and didn't even appear to put in the work to be fully match fit.  Hasn't done anything in his appearances to displace anyone else from the starting lineup.  Can't wait for him to give up completely within a few months then look like the lazy fook he was for Leicester again come Boxing day. 

4 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Maybe he should impress in training to prove he deserves a starting place?

Haven't been impressed whenever he's come on tbh, all he does is give the ball away.

There is always a risk, when trying to build a " quality squad " as a team at our level.

" Higher profile " players will feel they should be starting and have the right to moan.

The top clubs can bring in the higher quality young prospects who are just as good, but will be patient.

Senior players used to being first teamers are a bit more of a pain.

I'm sure the likes of Dendonker have a good moan to themselves as well.

Having said that, let's note that reading things in black and white, can often make things look worse than they are, and that's by design.

Worst case, we got him on a free and can turn a profit. lol

IMO, currently, Kamara ain't totally Un droppable though.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

I'd be more concerned if he was happy with the amount of playing time. Top players want to play.

He's new to Emery's system and there are good trusted players he's trying to displace, he may well do so in time, but it's still early doors, and there's plenty of football to be played. I like that he's eager to be on the pitch more.

One of the pitfalls of having a squad of players is trying to keep them all happy, Only 11 can start each game, and somebody always misses out. It's how the players react to missing out that is most important and from those comments, Tielemans seems to be reacting well.

• Like 2

It’s not a big deal, he was asked a question and had to respond. I don’t think he’s upset or unsettled (already!) but hopefully he’s got the motivation and desire to try and force his way in… I just think it’s a tough task because he’s not (hasn’t been recently or for a while, atm) really quite as good as our starting midfielders (would we have been so interested and paid a fee for him if his contract was not ending? Regardless, a great signing for us) but… maybe he could turn out to be with some Unai coaching and genuinely push and compete with them.

I mean… we were writing some of our players off before Unai arrived and he elevated them… so could probably do the same with/for Youri… he was excellent when he was at his best for Leicester and I hope to see a few thunderbolt goals from him…

I don’t think he takes Kamara’s place anyway… he’s not a DM. The only real option we have beyond Bouba is Dendoncker… now, more than ever since Unai’s time, we need defensive strength and resilience in the side…

As we all know and say… competition breeds success… but keeping all of your players happy can be a headache for managers 😆

Edited by Jas10

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

Unai has traditionally not used a 3 man midfield (in say a 433). He almost always centers most of his formations around the double pivot.

Tielemans I don't think has the athleticism to play any of the outside mid positions nor the second striker role.

He will be rotational in the double pivot depending on form/injuries/run of games. I'm sure he will get his chances.

Whether he's happy with that role is to be determined but that's what I see for him this season.

Yeah… I just don’t foresee him being a fixture in the side… he’s going to have to accept a rotation role and step in when others are unavailable…

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Maybe he should impress in training to prove he deserves a starting place?

Haven't been impressed whenever he's come on tbh, all he does is give the ball away.

I agree. He's done little to win himself a starting position when he has come on.

Early days and it's a long season. I always take these kind of comments with a pinch of salt because its easy to have the default thought of questionable attitude etc. When he gets his chance he just needs to show what he can do.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I agree. He's done little to win himself a starting position when he has come on.

He was awful in his last season at Leicester !  Rodgers liked him for some reason and played him every game but he was fat, slow and lazy & never looked like he cared. I'm not sure how he thought he was going to break into a Villa midfield 

Honest reply anybody who knows anything about Emery will know this won’t bother him in the slightest if anything it will please him seeing a player wanting to start it’s up to the Player to prove that he’s worthy now.

And the media are getting exactly the reaction they wanted....... Break out the old Flemish-English section in google translate, twist it a bit, fail to report any type of context and away we go...Aston Villa star is unhappy!

Personally, I'd be a lot more concerned if one of our players said "Oh yes, I'm delighted that I'm not starting.  Very happy to play the odd game here and there."  

Except Olsen of course... 🙂

Â