Youri Tielemans

thejoker

3 hours ago, av1 said:

This comment did make my laugh. The bloke looks like he’s soiled himself. 

nt: contains swearing. 

Reminds me of me running for a train once, although I was about thirty years older and I was in quicksand.:D A pre-season at Bodymoor will soon have him back up to speed. 

3 minutes ago, John said:

Reminds me of me running for a train once, although I was about thirty years older and I was in quicksand.:D A pre-season at Bodymoor will soon have him back up to speed. 

Yep, I joked earlier that a beep test with Ollie will blow the cobwebs off 🤣

19 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If an outsider had read this forum before Gerrard got sacked they’d have read the same things about most of our players. Now they’re all superstars

Or our relegation team. Vertout, Ghana Guaye etc were all rubbish. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, YLN said:

When a player signs a renewed contract with a club, that risk is factored into it. The cost of them running it down and them leaving on a free, so when they re-sign they get a big signing on fee.

It's why Deadly Doug said that a player signing a new contract was like buying a new player

His reaction to doing either was the same as a vampire's is to sunlight. ;)

For our first signing of the window this is a statement. He’s a top quality footballer.

I think this is a great bit of business but I do have my concerns.

He did look like he’d given up for Leicester and played a lot of games for someone who is 26. 

Great signing for me.

The 'free transfer' will means he's on higher salaries, but it's still going to be a relative bargain over his contract. The big losers here are Leicester. But all clubs have been there.
Yes his salary will be higher - but we've lost Steer, Guilbert, Young, and Ings from last season - with (hopefully) Nakamba, Sanson, Traore, Sanson, Davis, Wesley and Hause to go. There's £20m+ a year there; for very little contribution. We have room, especially with the increased income. 
And as others have said - this leaves the transfer budget for other positions.

A few comments about his fitness - I doubt he'd have passed a medical if there is an underlying issue. Plus - as others have said - he's played a lot of games for a 26 year old.
But he's had a year off now (😉), and the joy our what Unai is building is that he won't be needed for 45 games a season - and I suspect he will be happy to be rotated. Which is exactly what we need given the talent we already have in midfield.

55 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Hoping these legs are gone murmurs are false and that he's quicker than a ray of light

Agreed, I think that he will soon "get into the groove" again with UE's guidance. :)

Tielemans has a much better pass percentage, pass attempts and progressive statistics than McGinn.

He is also more right-sided naturally...

Definitely puts pressure on McGinn unless Emery decides to play McGinn further forward.

2 hours ago, babyblue said:

He has had poor seasons even in a more attacking position. But his and our best football was played with him and Maddison as 8’s with Ndidi holding. Later on when Rodgers shit the bed, it was more Maddison as a 10 and Ndidi and Tielemans behind. 

That seems to reflect how I think we will line up next season - with Kamara playing as a 6 alongside Tielemans and Luiz who will be tasked with the 8 role when we have the ball.  So I am encouraged to hear that this is the kind of formation in which you think he excelled.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

FTFY

I only realised this was ‘fixed that for you’ a long time after I first saw it, and for a long time I thought it was ‘**** them **** you’ and it works either way almost every time 😆 

• Like 3

Posted on the Leicester City forum to ask what exactly went wrong with Tielemans, the response is a carbon copy of the way Villa fans described Mcginn pre Emery.

Don’t think anyone has the golden bullet answer for you there - it was just this season either, it’s probably 18 months. Take a look at his error at PSV. Just hasn’t appeared fit enough to move around the pitch successfully. 

He wasn’t great at the World Cup and his form didn’t pick up under Smith. Just loves his roast spuds too much 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

tbh, I can’t see Tielemans playing anywhere but centrally. Its not his skillset. 

Yeah, but all four of our midfielders basically play centrally in the current system.

Â