Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Need concentrate on Wolves before we worry about Manchester City, Wolves lost their last game, but this season have been good at following up defeats with victories, also I think their squad is a lot stronger than many give it credit for, Neto and Hwang are out, but Cunha and Sarabia stats wise at least are just as dangerous as the injured duo, when we underestimate teams is when we're more likely to come unstuck, so have to guard against that. A win would be the perfect tonic

On 27/03/2024 at 15:54, omariqy said:

9 cup finals. Here we go. Anyone else buzzing?

Better weather and lighter nights on the horizon, huge league run-in and a Conference League quarter-final, damn right I'm buzzing.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Nigel said:

No chance...what ever we did at home....do THAT again!

12 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

No John McGinn, for this game, who was pivotal in the result against city

And end of season Man City are a completely different animal. They're (usually) unstoppable

On 21/03/2024 at 15:53, OutByEaster? said:

Time for a predictor.

https://www.worldfootball.net/table_calculator/eng-premier-league/

Didn't give it a massive think, just ploughed into it and ended up with this with one game left:

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 15.49.34.png

Which would be some end to the season - us, perilously clinging to the top 5 and needing to beat Palace on the last day, any one of three still able to win the title, and three in a competition for seventh.

A much needed win then against Palace on the last day gave me this final table:

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 15.53.26.png

I'll take that, even if my heart might not.

I don't think Man Utd are going to be getting 7 wins and a draw out of 10 games to be honest.

But again this reinforces that even if they did go on a mental run like that, we only need to produce an average run in to still beat them

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here's mine FWIW, and I think I've been quite generous to Man Utd and quite conservative for us

Table.jpg

Edit: the problem with these predictors is it takes games in isolation. I realise I've got Liverpool down to win every single game they've got left. Which isn't going to happen. Even though they're all winnable on paper. @OutByEaster? similarly has the top 3 all undefeated for the rest of the season, with Arsenl adn liverpool drawing one game each being the only points dropped

Same applies with Man Utd. They have very winnable fixtures on paper, but I don't think they're capable of putting a 2.2PPG run together for the rest of the season.

It's why I prefer to look at trends and PPG. It usually accounts for fluctuations in individual games

Edited by Stevo985
  • Thanks 2

I think 4 wins will get us top 5 and 5 wins would  probably get us top 4. Hopefully the first of those will come tomorrow. I also think we will win one of the games against the top 3. It’s very much in our control and we absolutely should get top 5 at least. We need to stay calm and get behind the lads no matter what happens. COYVB. UTV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

And end of season Man City are a completely different animal. They're (usually) unstoppable

Like Neo in the Matrix batting away corruption charges

• Haha 1

Stones, Walker and Ake all big doubts for the Arsenal game on Sunday so let's hope those injuries are all 10 days and we'll get a relatively patched up defence to hit on the counter.

Beyond that we won't be getting away with playing Tielemans in a two with all they have available in the final third now, going to have to put Tim into this game unless Unai has something radical up his sleeve.

The problem with these predictors is it takes games in isolation. I realise I've got Liverpool down to win every single game they've got left. Which isn't going to happen. Even though they're all winnable on paper. @OutByEaster? similarly has the top 3 all undefeated for the rest of the season, with Arsenl adn liverpool drawing one game each being the only points dropped.

Absolutely right, and as I said, I just whistled mine off quickly. They sort of play into existing biases on quality and produce results that are at least as unlikely as any - but there's something both addictive and comforting in doing them.

I think United are going to get uncomfortably near to us over the next few weeks, but I still think we can finish above them.

Tomorrow's game and the one against Brentford just seem bigger and bigger every time I look at the rest of the season.

49 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’ll come down to whether Spurs will be more Spurs-y than Villa are Villa(-ry?).

If we beat Lille and Liverpool and Man City do their thing - Spurs and the difference between fourth and fifth become completely irrelevant - we just need to do well in Europe and hold off United.

22 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If we beat Lille and Liverpool and Man City do their thing - Spurs and the difference between fourth and fifth become completely irrelevant - we just need to do well in Europe and hold off United.

True (well, I assume you are correct re the coefficient stuff).

I want fourth.

• Like 1

Looking at everything now i'm convinced either us or spurs will miss out on top 5.

Utd getting key players back, easier fixture list and are spawny words removed so could feasibly go on a really good run. Throw in the PGMOL and FA doing everything in the power to restore the traditional big 6 also. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

They aren't though are they. They are 6th and have picked up spawny results all year

I understand your concern but couldn't that be an argument that they are now due less 'spawny' results?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

United are shit and will not finish top 5.

8 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

They aren't though are they. They are 6th and have picked up spawny results all year

United arent the United of old, but to say they are actually s**t is a huge overstatement tbh, however much i dislike them.

Yes they are erratic, sometimes perform, and not others etc, but they are 6th for a reason, and only 6 points behind us if they win their game in hand.

They might make a mess of it in the last 9/10 games, or they might not, the problem is that you just dont know with United, they could do anything.

The thing is, on paper, their run in is actually quite a lot easier than either ours or Spurs, they have only averaged 1.7 PPG this season, which although good, isnt top 4 at all, but, with the remaining games they have, its quite possible they "could" hit 2 PPG or more for the last 10 games, which would make them a real threat if we dont do the business on our end.

Their last 10 games are Brentford, Chelsea, Liverpool, Bournemouth, Sheff utd, Newcastle, Burnley, Palace, Arsenal, Brighton.

Ofc, they might mess it up and buckle, but on paper, that run in....they are "capable" of 2 PPG+ from those games, if they decide to turn up.

its a huge "if" ofc, but its Manure, who knows, they could get 1.5 PPG from those 10 games, or 2.2 PPG, i wouldnt be surprised by either.

Edited by MaVilla

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

They are 6th because they have picked up unlikely results.

By almost every metric, except GA - they are midtalbe or worse

A shocking 14th in goals for

9th in xG

12th in xGA

Somehow 4th in GA - over peforming their GA-xGA by over 8 goals (Liverpool is the only other club in the same bracket)

Allowed the 4th most shots in the league

12th in xGD.

By almost every underlying metric, they're nowhere near 6th. Their spawny results have kept them in 6th, not the other way around.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 3