Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

I get the Man U fear tbh. They have Sheff United as their game in hand so straight away they are now 6 points behind (effectively 7). That would put them on 50 points. The way I see it is that we need 4 wins and a draw. That gets us to 69. They then need 20 points from 9 games. I just don’t see it. I’m not totally discounting it but it would be a hell of an effort. Especially as they have a semi and potential final to think about.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Yes but Big Flange will get Tottenham Daredevils 8 points from the last two games with his brave attacking high line Not like that crazy risky high line we play 

This has absolutely made my day 😂

• Like 3

On 18/03/2024 at 12:13, VillaChris said:

Who out of Liverpool and Arsenal have you got Man. United beating? I think they'll get 1 point out of that and lose at Brighton on the final day. Can they even reach 67 points if those results occur?

I haven't, and they didn't need to.  I think they beat Brighton as Brighton will literally have nothing to play for by then. 
Brentford(A) 1 - 48
Chelsea (A) 1 - 49
Liverpool (H) 0 - 49
Bournmouth (A) 3-52
Newcastle (H) 3 -55
Burnley (H) 3 - 58
Palace (A) 3 - 61
Arsenal (H) 0-61
Brighton (A) 3-64
Sheff Utd (H) 3-67

Taking each game in isolation i don't think any of those predictions are wild over estimations of what Utd are capable of, obviously its football and all could go either way but we are all trying to stare into our crystal balls so we've got to take a stab at what we think it most likely. 

1 minute ago, bcarpet said:

I haven't, and they didn't need to.  I think they beat Brighton as Brighton will literally have nothing to play for by then. 
Brentford(A) 1 - 48
Chelsea (A) 1 - 49
Liverpool (H) 0 - 49
Bournmouth (A) 3-52
Newcastle (H) 3 -55
Burnley (H) 3 - 58
Palace (A) 3 - 61
Arsenal (H) 0-61
Brighton (A) 3-64
Sheff Utd (H) 3-67

Taking each game in isolation i don't think any of those predictions are wild over estimations of what Utd are capable of, obviously its football and all could go either way but we are all trying to stare into our crystal balls so we've got to take a stab at what we think it most likely. 

Surely this shows how hard it is for United to catch us. They need to average 1.8 PPG to even get 67.

For us to get 66 (which we would need to finish below them unless some wild stuff happens with GD) we'd need to average 1.1 PPG which would be the worst PPG average for Emery with us by a mile.

3 wins should be enough to put United out of range tbh.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Surely this shows how hard it is for United to catch us. They need to average 1.8 PPG to even get 67.

For us to get 66 (which we would need to finish below them unless some wild stuff happens with GD) we'd need to average 1.1 PPG which would be the worst PPG average for Emery with us by a mile.

oh I don't disagree, in fact I don't think they catch us, but VillaChris seemed to think it was impossible for them to get 67 and they had to beat either liverpool or arsenal to do it

29 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

pretty sure Manure need to do 2 PPG to get 67 points.

47 points currently, 10 games to go, 20 points needed to get 67 points, 2 PPG.

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

pretty sure Manure need to do 2 PPG to get 67 points.

47 points currently, 10 games to go, 20 points needed to get 67 points, 2 PPG.

You're right! I can't count :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

You're right! I can't count :) 

looking at manures remaining fixtures, and i know they have averaged only 1.7 PPG so far this season, i can see them getting 2 PPG for their remaining fixtures.

However, they could also totally not, you never know with manure.

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

looking at manures remaining fixtures, and i know they have averaged only 1.7 PPG so far this season, i can see them getting 2 PPG for their remaining fixtures.

However, they could also totally not, you never know with manure.

I think they will get to between 65 and 68. We just need to win 3/4 games and draw 1 or 2. Sounds easy but we just need to do our job. 

I mean this is assuming 5th gets Champions League. We will know for almost definite just prior to the Bournemouth home game. 

• Like 1

In twenty twenty one season Leicester had the same points we have now after twenty nine games that is fifty six points, they were seven points clear of fifth place West Ham yeah, but ended up finishing fifth and it was Liverpool who caught up with them, Liverpool were ten points behind them at this stage#Something very similar happened the season before, with twenty nine games gone Leicester were cruising in third place eight points ahead of Man Utd in fifth but come the end of the season Leicester dropped out of the top four to be replaced by Man Utd. The essence of the lesson is we have to worry about what we need to do to get top four or five not what others need to do to catch us

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, useless said:

In twenty twenty one season Leicester had the same points we have now after twenty nine games that is fifty six points, they were seven points clear of fifth place West Ham yeah, but ended up finishing fifth and it was Liverpool who caught up with them, Liverpool were ten points behind them at this stage#Something very similar happened the season before, with twenty nine games gone Leicester were cruising in third place eight points ahead of Man Utd in fifth but come the end of the season Leicester dropped out of the top four to be replaced by Man Utd. The essence of the lesson is we have to worry about what we need to do to get top four or five not what others need to do to catch us

Yup they get 9 and 10 points in those last 9 games in each season. If we get that then I am pretty sure we would drop to 6th. 

59 minutes ago, bcarpet said:

Brentford(A) 1 - 48
Chelsea (A) 1 - 49
Liverpool (H) 0 - 49
Bournmouth (A) 3-52
Newcastle (H) 3 -55
Burnley (H) 3 - 58
Palace (A) 3 - 61
Arsenal (H) 0-61
Brighton (A) 3-64
Sheff Utd (H) 3-67

I think if Europe goes down to 7th or 8th then Brighton will surely be in the mix on the last day. With how they play they always run through Man. United's midfield and create numerous chances against them.

All of Palace, Bournemouth and Brighton won at Old Trafford in the first half of the season so I find it hard to believe Man. United will just beat them all away without breaking sweat. Brentford and Chelsea will be tricky games aswell to win on the road.

I mean going by the predictions up there you've got them getting 1 point from their next 3 games. If we beat Wolves and Brentford at home in that time frame we'd actually be 13 points clear of them so while mathematically it would still be possible realistically it wouldn't given how few games would be remaining.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, useless said:

Little different there is that season Leicester played Man. United on the final day and lost so it was still in Leicester's hands going into the final game.

Us playing Man. United on the final day and being two clear of them would be nerve shredding and no doubt we'd find a way to lose to them from a goal or two up so at least it's in our own hands.

Basically we need to win four more games to take them fully out of the equation. Probably five wins to put huge pressure on Spurs. We're capable of doing both so let's do it.

• Like 2

Brentford have been mostly terrible this season. I could see Ushited getting a win there but hopefully Brentford take something off them.

I'd like to think we will beat Wolves, Hee Chan and Neto both out and Cunha (hopefully) not fully fit.

1 minute ago, PeterSw said:

Brentford have been mostly terrible this season. I could see Ushited getting a win there but hopefully Brentford take something off them.

I'd like to think we will beat Wolves, Hee Chan and Neto both out and Cunha (hopefully) not fully fit.

They have Mbuemo back now so hopefully can score a few goals. Their defence is the problem. They are missing so many players at the back. 

• Like 1

I think it also worth bearing in mind that this team and manager has been in this position before, last season, on a charge to get Europe. While it's not the same situation exactly, I think that experience will stand us in good stead this time around. I wouldn't count us out of those most difficult games either, we have the ability to make lots of trouble for those ahead of us, if anything we'll regard those as free hits, pressure will be on them not us.