Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

41 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think if Europe goes down to 7th or 8th then Brighton will surely be in the mix on the last day. With how they play they always run through Man. United's midfield and create numerous chances against them.

All of Palace, Bournemouth and Brighton won at Old Trafford in the first half of the season so I find it hard to believe Man. United will just beat them all away without breaking sweat. Brentford and Chelsea will be tricky games aswell to win on the road.

I mean going by the predictions up there you've got them getting 1 point from their next 3 games. If we beat Wolves and Brentford at home in that time frame we'd actually be 13 points clear of them so while mathematically it would still be possible realistically it wouldn't given how few games would be remaining.

They don't need to beat them without breaking a sweat, all they need to do is get a lucky VAR call and beat them in the 97th minute by 1 goal.  Its very feasible with Brentford's form (currently last over the past 6 games) and Palace who have won 1 in the last 6 that Utd beat them both.  Yes Brighton could go either way, but the way I see it, is if Utd have the possibility of finishing in the champions league places when they play them I think they win it.

I think you are missing the point from the original post you quoted me on though, where I said we would still finish above them.

2 hours ago, bcarpet said:

I haven't, and they didn't need to.  I think they beat Brighton as Brighton will literally have nothing to play for by then. 
Brentford(A) 1 - 48
Chelsea (A) 1 - 49
Liverpool (H) 0 - 49
Bournmouth (A) 3-52
Newcastle (H) 3 -55
Burnley (H) 3 - 58
Palace (A) 3 - 61
Arsenal (H) 0-61
Brighton (A) 3-64
Sheff Utd (H) 3-67

Taking each game in isolation i don't think any of those predictions are wild over estimations of what Utd are capable of, obviously its football and all could go either way but we are all trying to stare into our crystal balls so we've got to take a stab at what we think it most likely. 

Agree mostly but I'd have them to beat Brentford putting them on 69.

If they win every game bar Arsenal and Liverpool they'll only get 71, 5 more wins for us to guarantee. Beat Wolves, Palace, Brentford, Bournemouth, draw Brighton and Chelsea will probably be enough. Lost to Wolves it will be a bit tougher though and you know their whole life is basically going to be trying to F our season up.

Edited by VillaJ100

54 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Agree mostly but I'd have them to beat Brentford putting them on 69.

If they win every game bar Arsenal and Liverpool they'll only get 71, 5 more wins for us to guarantee. Beat Wolves, Palace, Brentford, Bournemouth, draw Brighton and Chelsea will probably be enough. Lost to Wolves it will be a bit tougher though and you know their whole life is basically going to be trying to F our season up.

Tell you what if they won 8 out of 10 games then fair play they deserve what they get. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I think if Europe goes down to 7th or 8th then Brighton will surely be in the mix on the last day. With how they play they always run through Man. United's midfield and create numerous chances against them.

All of Palace, Bournemouth and Brighton won at Old Trafford in the first half of the season so I find it hard to believe Man. United will just beat them all away without breaking sweat. Brentford and Chelsea will be tricky games aswell to win on the road.

I mean going by the predictions up there you've got them getting 1 point from their next 3 games. If we beat Wolves and Brentford at home in that time frame we'd actually be 13 points clear of them so while mathematically it would still be possible realistically it wouldn't given how few games would be remaining.

I think if West Ham get to the EL final then there would still be the possibility of 9th place qualifying for Europe on the last day of the PL season. Could be wrong though - all of the qualification permutations haven't really been fully explained anywhere for the new formats (or even the old for that matter).

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Tell you what if they won 8 out of 10 games then fair play they deserve what they get. 

That is the moral of the story - you deserve what you get. Our goal is to progress on from top 7 - we are on course. Keep building and improving.

Time for a predictor.

https://www.worldfootball.net/table_calculator/eng-premier-league/

Didn't give it a massive think, just ploughed into it and ended up with this with one game left:

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 15.49.34.png

Which would be some end to the season - us, perilously clinging to the top 5 and needing to beat Palace on the last day, any one of three still able to win the title, and three in a competition for seventh.

A much needed win then against Palace on the last day gave me this final table:

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 15.53.26.png

I'll take that, even if my heart might not.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Time for a predictor.

Didn't give it a massive think, just ploughed into it and ended up with this with one game left:

Which would be some end to the season - us, perilously clinging to the top 5 and needing to beat Palace on the last day, any one of three still able to win the title, and three in a competition for seventh.

You put Chelsea on a hell of a run. 

5 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Emery said (before the west ham game) he is going to assess where we are on gameweek 32 and create a new objective for the team. 👀

Surely the objective is clear now?

22 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Time for a predictor.

Been saying for a while that Palace away might be one for the ages.

Playoff final x2. Staying up on the last day. Europe on the last day.

Why not UCL on the last day?

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Time for a predictor.

Chelsea 2ppg rest of season and Manure over 2ppg I don't think so. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Give it a go.

You have Manure winning 7 and drawing 1 out of 10. That's unlikely form of top 3. They've had no consistency all season. 

16 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Time for a predictor.

I've just done one. Have got Villa on 68 points 3 points clear of Spurs heading into the last day but Spurs with a much better goal difference. Not sure if I have been a bit generous with our results. Got us beating Wolves, Brentford, Bournemouth and Chelsea at home which can happen but we are bound to drop points somewhere. Have put us to lose to Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Brighton.

Got Spurs to beat Luton, Forest and Burnley. Draw with West Ham, Arsenal, Chelsea and lose to Newcastle, Man City and Liverpool. Newcastle one is probably the one can possibly swap for a win but also they could lose to Arsenal. Chelsea away does seem to be there Old Trafford equivalent though. 

It's going to be close. 

24 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Predictors are a waste of time. If we were able to.predict results we all be multi millionaires. 

Yeah, I don't go in for those predictor things at all. One game at a time is hard enough to predict, who would have thought we would beat Man City and Arsenal and then draw with Sheffield Utd. My outlook is to try not to stress about what different permutations may or may not occur durther down the line, and just enjoy being in the right part of the table for once.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Predictors are a waste of time. If we were able to.predict results we all be multi millionaires. 

Exactly, it is pretty pointless.

If you said villa will play Man City, Arsenal and Sheff U at home. Which one won't we win? You'd never get it. Equally no one would have spurs getting hammered by Fulham.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

That's why PPG is a better indicator - it tends to be stable over a sufficiently long period of time. There will be surprise results going either way but on average, without form changing much, it's going to more or less tell you the outcome over a sample of games.

The 5 games in December before Christmas one might've simply predicted 9 points out of 15:

Bournemouth (A) - win
Man City (H) - lose
Arsenal (H) - lose
Brentford (A) - win
Sheffield Utd (H) - win

Or you could say we're averaging 2+ PPG at that point, we'll probably get 10 or 11 (exactly what we got) points from those fixtures. Yet only one of the above predictions is correct.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 3

Speaking of which I just found my excel prediction of our season under Bruce when we were going for top 2 in the Champ. I had us finishing on 89 points, just ahead of Fulham and Cardiff. I pretty much got their results spot on. It was our results that went wrong (think we finished on 83 point). 

• Like 2