Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

I’m still not seeing how some people are comfortable with how things stand as far as United are concerned. What am I missing? I get the 9 points clear (they have a game in hand) and the sizeable GD which acts as a point, but, if they end up being 6 behind, with our run and current form, it is almost theirs to lose… talk of a crazy turn around in results from our part and their part isn’t actually that far off… Very nervous. Wish I had the confidence that some of y'all have. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I’m still not seeing how some people are comfortable with how things stand as far as United are concerned. What am I missing? I get the 9 points clear (they have a game in hand) and the sizeable GD which acts as a point, but, if they end up being 6 behind, with our run and current form, it is almost theirs to lose… talk of a crazy turn around in results from our part and their part isn’t actually that far off… Very nervous. Wish I had the confidence that some of y'all have. 

Our current form is better than their current form.

By almost every metric, except for a small snapshot in January, we have been better than United at every turn.

12 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I reckon three wins and two draws would probably be enough to keep us clear of United.

People are massively overrating United. They will also probably put it all into winning the cup now

37 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Makes absolutely no sense but since you started a relegation thread this season then you be you

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Mainly because there is only 10 games to make it right and we are 9 (10) points ahead. They need 3/4 wins more than us. If we win 4 then they need to win 7 or 8 out of 10.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Define form. They have 2 extra points than us from the last 6.  I get being nervous but the bit in bold is ridiculous.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Our current form is better than their current form.

By almost every metric, except for a small snapshot in January, we have been better than United at every turn.

Hmm, not based on the last 6 it isn’t… they have collected more points than us. They also beat us twice in the space of a few weeks. They may not be the United they once were but they can still pull wins out their ass.
Winning is a little harder for us to come by in the league since the start of the new year. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Makes absolutely no sense but since you started a relegation thread this season then you be you

Clearly a joke! But, ok. 

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Hmm, not based on the last 6 it isn’t… they have collected more points than us. They also beat us twice in the space of a few weeks. They may not be the United they once were but they can still pull wins out their ass.
Winning is a little harder for us to come by in the league since the start of the new year. 

Going back as far as 12 game form they have managed 2 extra points than us. So why theirs to lose?

United fans believe they will do it. How about you believe Villa can do it?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

33 minutes ago, Tayls said:

And we have more points in the last 5. Better goal difference, better rolling point average, better xG, equal or maybe slightly worse xGA. 

And they have to overtake a 9 point gap (their game in hand is Chelsea).

It’s the least likely of the possibilities to keep us out of UCL. 

It would be fantastic if we could get even further ahead of United in the next couple of weeks and that 5th is guaranteed a CL spot so we could rest players in the league and have a proper crack at winning the UCL.

If only it was that easy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, colhint said:

Don't think there are that many mid table teams this year. There's 8 European spots if the coefficients work well that takes us down to Bournemouth in 13th 7 points behind current 8 th place. Then maybe palace are not quite clear of relegation on 29 points so maybe them. Everybody else is in the relegation scrap.

Bournemouth will be mid table when we play them in a few weeks.

See how Brighton get on in next month but they might be out of euro contention by start of May and we always beat them regardless.

With all these points deductions Palace probably only need 5-6 more points to be safe by the final day.

7 points from those teams and we're well on our way to securing 4th.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

And we have more points in the last 5. Better goal difference, better rolling point average, better xG, equal or maybe slightly worse xGA. 

And they have to overtake a 9 point gap (their game in hand is Chelsea).

It’s the least likely of the possibilities to keep us out of UCL. 

Their game in hand is Sheffield United 

12 hours ago, Tayls said:

What form are you referring too? United have 12 points from last 6 games, we have 10 points from last 6.  

12 hours ago, Tayls said:

with our run and current form, it is almost theirs to lose…

image.thumb.png.07df2ef923f51f629a5237d512431173.png

What am I missing? We have the best current form of the 4th place chasing teams.

• Like 1

Man U are a concern but it's in our hands. If we get 5 more wins we'll be on 71. If Man U win every game they can only get 77. If they pull out that sort of form then they probably deserve it.

• Like 3