Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We've had some must win/don't lose games and we've failed when it comes to it. 

We need to get something today, a draw wouldn't be great though. 

If England get the extra place do we have to play a qualifying game if we finish 5th or are we straight in?

Everyone is in the same league. 

• Like 1

Just noticed Lille don't play in between their games with us and therefore can concentrate their preparation on the second leg in France. We have Arsenal away in between.

Going to be a tough schedule, which again highlights need to get points on board today. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We've had some must win/don't lose games and we've failed when it comes to it. 

We need to get something today, a draw wouldn't be great though. 

If England get the extra place do we have to play a qualifying game if we finish 5th or are we straight in?

If Wolves had Neto, Hwang and a fully fit Cunha then today would be a really tough game but the fact 2 are missing and one is only coming back from a long injury I’m feeling confident we will win today. I don’t think their attack will be able to cause us that much trouble personally. 

If we can’t beat these with those players missing then I don’t know when we will next beat these tbh. 

• Like 2

Dawson missing is the biggest one for me. He always is a man mountain against us.

Spurs are full strength and Luton are missing lots of players so expect them to batter Luton.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Spurs will probably put about 6 past that Luton defence at home 🤣

Brentford will be a tricky away fixture for Man U though. 

Son C and 2 Spurs defenders in FPL. Done my bit to jinx them 

27 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just looked at their likely lineup. As others have mentioned it we don’t beat that team with the key players they have out it will be very disappointing.

We have key players out

The rubbish the media wrote about Spurs being unlucky with injuries but the truth is they are have been really lucky with injuries for most of the season.

Today, Van der Ven is fully fit and available (so missed one game after going off against us with a hamstring injury), the only other injuries are Forster, Sessegnon and Solomon who would be nowhere near the first 11 and might not even make the bench. They had a load of players out for about 1-2 months but they have a fully fit squad now and have done for weeks other than Van der Ven missing the game at Fulham but that's one player. I know this sounds bad but I hope they get a few injuries today, Luton will hopefully rough them up, the injury list needs to even itself out. If Son or Maddison were to miss any of their remaining games they would struggle.

Meanwhile we have the following players out:

• Mings (mised the whole season)
  • Buendia (missed the whole season)
  • Kamara (played up to February but will miss the last 3 months of season)
  • McGinn suspended for another 2 games (own fault to be fair)
  • Cash (out for 3 weeks, will miss several games)
  • Ramsey (missed a lot of games this season de to injury, came back but got injured again against Luton and has since missed two European games and two league games, might play today but probably only as sub)

Half of those players (Kamara, Ramsey, McGinn) would start for us and the other half (Mings, Buendia, Cash) would push to start.

The media needs to report this and show a bit of sympathy to us given how much love they gave to their beloved Tottenham when they had a long injury list.

Edited by Leeroy
  • Like 1

I think the thing with the premier league nowadays with the longer games and tough schedule is that you've always got to assume that you have 4 players unavailable at all times. Sometimes it's 2 or 3 and sometimes it's 5 or 6. But you need a squad that assumes that, which I think increasingly we have.

Edited by turvontour

23 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We have key players out

We have key players out but we can still play Watkins, Bailey, Diaby, Luiz, Tielemans, Torres, Konsa, Moreno/Digne, Carlos and Martinez and should have more then enough to see off Wolves. Think I saw on Twitter that they only have 12 players senior players available so their bench is gonna be pretty weak. 

Neto, Hwang and Dawson being out and Cunha only coming back off an injury lay off is probably the equivalent of us going away to Wolves with a half fit Watkins and being without Bailey, Diaby/Ramsey and Pau Torres. You just wouldn’t fancy us to get anything. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just looked at their likely lineup. As others have mentioned it we don’t beat that team with the key players they have out it will be very disappointing.

Thing is we have key players out too, the elephant in the room being McGinn.

We can't take anything for granted, missing players or not, O'Neil has been doing a hell of a job with them.

It will be a very tough game.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We can't take anything for granted, missing players or not, O'Neil has been doing a hell of a job with them.

Definitely will be a tough game but looking at the games we have left it’s one we have to win. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If we want to finish top 4 these are the games we have got to be winning. Fail to win here and we’d have to probably pull a result out of nowhere against the top 3.

Despite our poor record against these, personally think the Brentford game next week will be tougher than this game. We will no doubt concede a sloppy a goal from a set-piece but I don’t think they have enough attacking threat for 90 minutes to out score us.

Got to win. 

On that, we have beaten Arsenal and Man City already this season and even drew with Man City in one of Gerrard's last games. I would not be surprised to see us get a result or two from one of Liverpool, Arsenal or Man City.

We are a good side with a decent squad and a top manager.

13 minutes ago, HeroesAndVillans said:

Should be a win with all their injuries as others have said, surely? Also, how far in the competition does everyone think we'd go next season?

With Emery in charge I reckon we’d get to knockouts but can see league form being impacted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

With Emery in charge I reckon we’d get to knockouts but can see league form being impacted.

Agreed, always happens in that kind of scenario. Do think we'd put up a good fight in the UCL, though, and I think we will have a good go at domestic cups next season.

42 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

On that, we have beaten Arsenal and Man City already this season and even drew with Man City in one of Gerrard's last games. I would not be surprised to see us get a result or two from one of Liverpool, Arsenal or Man City.

We are a good side with a decent squad and a top manager.

Without being a party pooper or pessimist.

Those 3 teams have since clicked into sensational form and got injured players back etc.

Although, on our day, we are capable of bizarrely becoming world class when it all clicks and blowing any team away.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Absolutely JV, I agree. I am just saying, we shouldn't hang out the white flags on any game. Or to put it another way, let us not heap pressure on ourselves today as we so often do.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 1