Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

A good way to look at is United need 10 points more than us come the end of the season, if we get 12, then need 22.  I just can't see them catching us if they need anything more than 20+ points.

You could say they have 3 of those already with a home banker against Sheff United…but this is Utd

12 minutes ago, omariqy said:

You could say they have 3 of those already with a home banker against Sheff United…but this is Utd

Like any predictions of the future regardless of how well thought out,  they can be concluded either in a glass half full or half empty attitude or indeed with a glass thrown to the floor and smashed into tiny pieces. For all of our mental health I’d urge us to try our best to remain possitive. As our last great manager said after a particularly bad result at a particularly important time, would you like to bet against us??

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

Like any predictions of the future regardless of how well thought out,  they can be concluded either in a glass half full or half empty attitude or indeed with a glass thrown to the floor and smashed into tiny pieces. For all of our mental health I’d urge us to try our best to remain possitive. As our last great manager said after a particularly bad result at a particularly important time, would you like to bet against us??

I have an old pal, a Spurs fan who lives in Essex, despite all the evidence he’s a good lad and we regularly exchange texts. After their game at the weekend he concluded that they weren’t good enough to play in the  CL, against the likes of Real Madrid and so wouldn’t be so disappointed if they didn’t finish in the CL places this year. His thoughts could equally apply to us, especially if the powers that be, restrict our ability to strengthen our squad, which they already are doing to try to keep the uppity Brummies out of the  CL anyway. Good job I’m not cynical!!! 

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Filthers? You’ll need to explain this one to me too mate!!??

You do not need to know, do not want to know, and will not benefit in any way from finding out. Trust me on this, I have your best interests at heart. 

• Haha 1

If it does come close for top 4/5th between us, Spurs and United, I hope it doesn't come down to the final day.  Can you imagine the absolute wankfest Sky will have covering it.

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

he concluded that they weren’t good enough to play in the  CL, against the likes of Real Madrid and so wouldn’t be so disappointed if they didn’t finish in the CL places this year. 

What about all the other teams in the CL that aren't as good as the best team in Europe? The CL is full of poor teams that Spurs (or Villa) would be better than.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

It's good for us that Forest have had those points deducted, given that we've already played the bottom 5. It looked like the relegation places would be largely concluded by early mid April but now looks like it could be nearer to the end of the season. Helps Burnley beat Brentford too.

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

This is a rabbit hole though, Palace on the beach with nothing to play for last game of the season could also be a guaranteed 3 points.

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I have an old pal, a Spurs fan who lives in Essex, despite all the evidence he’s a good lad and we regularly exchange texts. After their game at the weekend he concluded that they weren’t good enough to play in the  CL, against the likes of Real Madrid and so wouldn’t be so disappointed if they didn’t finish in the CL places this year. His thoughts could equally apply to us, especially if the powers that be, restrict our ability to strengthen our squad, which they already are doing to try to keep the uppity Brummies out of the  CL anyway. Good job I’m not cynical!!! 

I'd say our team is on par with, if not better than the Villareal team Emery got to the UCL semi's

• Like 1

Just now, MSvillain said:

This is a rabbit hole though, Palace on the beach with nothing to play for last game of the season could also be a guaranteed 3 points.

There is no such thing as guaranteed points in this league, Fulham battering Spurs at the weekend showed us there will be lots of twists and turns yet to come.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

There is no such thing as guaranteed points in this league, Fulham battering Spurs at the weekend showed us there will be lots of twists and turns yet to come.

That was pretty much my point...

To be fair - Fulham have an excellent home record and are no mugs there so it's not like it was a foregone conclusion that Spurs should have beat them. If nothing else, Spurs has shown several weaknesses (that we somehow ignored).

.The same Fulham beat the indomitable United (who will somehow get 20+ points).

The only hang up for me right now is a colossal failure of the English clubs in the quarter finals....which is far more likely than United over taking us....but still less likely than getting enough coefficient points on the board for 5th place UCL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, duke313 said:

A good way to look at is United need 10 points more than us come the end of the season, if we get 12, then need 22.  I just can't see them catching us if they need anything more than 20+ points.

The way i see it after matchweek 31 if we are 10 pts clear ahead then we should be pretty much tipped to finish above Man Utd for the first time in my lifetime dare i say it, Spurs on the other hand are the main concern and the side that threaten us for that top four finish which would be so sick if we are able to hold that spot, with injuries and our current inconsistent form its a shaky and nervy end to the season.

Hoping we can somehow pull clear of them but as we are so close it could go right down to the wire but we need to try and open that gap, every match is a final now as finishing 4th is 10x more celebratory for me than winning the conference 🤝

Edited by RicRic

33 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Any chance City are docked major points this season?

About the same amount of chance that they will be docked major points any season I suspect

9 hours ago, omariqy said:

They'll beat Sheffield United comfortably.

I think the key is what they do in the away games. Their last 5 are Brentford, Chelsea, Bournemouth, Palace and Brighton.

Brighton always beat them these days and will likely be playing for some form of euro qualification on final day. Chelsea actually have a good home record in prem over last few months and Poch needs that to continue given the dissent he's getting when they concede. The other three could go either way, indeed two of those teams won at Old Trafford earlier this season and Brentford should've aswell. Toney bullied their backline last season so I think Brentford can get at least a draw from that.

We play Wolves before they next play so would really pile the pressure on them by winning our game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Any chance City are docked major points this season?

Isn't it next season they receive their punishment/outcome. I think they will be fined and get a big (6-12) points deduction or something then it will be dropped.

8 hours ago, nick76 said:

Why does it matter if we aren’t good enough to play in the CL?  

Let’s say for arguments sake we lose all eight games we will play…so what?  Our revenue from those games will be huge and enable us to buy better players, it will give our current players experience in that competition and at that level, and it will mean we are unlikely have to lose many key players this summer for financial reasons and if players want to leave for CL clubs.

I don’t think anybody believes we will lose all eight games because while we would be newcomers to the competition, we are used to playing teams of that quality because we have a number of the best teams in the world in the PL and as has been shown this season we can stand toe to toe with them in a one off or two.  

Yes we may still go out at the league stage but so what, even if we had a major spend I don’t think anybody thinks we will be winning it next season.  Arguably there are only 4 or 5 teams that have a chance of winning it, 5 more than have reasonable argument about being really competitive, 6 teams that will be complete fodder and then we would be in the other 20 who could do alright or could be rubbish.

Yes agreed. You only need to be the 24th best team in next seasons CL and that gets you through to the play-off round (which guarantees 10 matches in CL). I’d be pretty confident even with our current squad we could finish 24th in the new mega-league format. 

• Like 2