Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Posted (edited)

What makes me nervous is that in 3 of the last 4 seasons  Leicester (x2) and Arsenal have thrown away UCL spots from commanding positions in the last few games of the season, so it is not as though a potential collapse would be unprecedented. It's actually pretty normal in recent Premier League history 😬 

Edited by nepal_villan

2 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

On paper we should have beaten Brighton and be guaranteed 4th by now. 

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

On Paper we should get 3 points too 

Paper you say?

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611fhchttmrmwwvzlcv7z

48 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

i can see Spurs getting a draw against City. I think we will need another point.

They won't, not with City in trophy mode, they win at will.

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Palace becoming good at the wrong time 

A lot depends on Olise and Eze for them. Both fit they can give a game to any team. 

My worry is that Man City won’t need to beat Tottenham. Arsenal are away to Man Utd on Sunday I think, and it’s the type of game United could pick something up. If Man City are happy with a draw vs Spurs then that could spell trouble. 

12 minutes ago, thejoker said:

My worry is that Man City won’t need to beat Tottenham. Arsenal are away to Man Utd on Sunday I think, and it’s the type of game United could pick something up. If Man City are happy with a draw vs Spurs then that could spell trouble. 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not how Pep goes about things if i'm honest

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Burnley Saturday, City Tuesday won't help there cause either. Burnley will give them a tough game I assure you.

Exactly. Burnley could still stay up if they were able to get a win at Spurs and beat Forest at home on final day (assuming Forest lose to Chelsea). I'd back most teams against Spurs on current form. If you can put in a decent corner or have pace on the counter then you've a decent chance of beating them. 

4 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Basically saying they’ll suddenly become arguably the greatest team ever and will beat them after being dreadful for 4 games in a row.

Would probably work better if they didn’t have Burnley before that

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Palace looking in great form.

Cant see us winning at their place.

Last game of the season, they won't be grafting, holidays will be booked.

As has already been said, it'll be done by then anyway.

1 hour ago, cheltenham_villa said:

i can see Spurs getting a draw against City. I think we will need another point.

Ideally if it has to happen like that they only beat Burnley by a goal. Hopefully Burnley will attempt to keep things tight for an hour rather than gung ho from kick off otherwise Spurs will beat them 4 nil like Newcastle did as they are certainly not good enough to go toe to toe with Spurs. We'll see as Burnley have drawn away to Chelsea and Man. United in last month so not like they're complete no hopers and Spurs are actually in worse form than either.

So in that scenario (and we lose to Liverpool by a single goal) then situation on final day is this:

Us 67 points -19

Spurs 64 points -12

There then needs to be a 7 goal swing in Spurs favour on the final day e.g we lose to Palace 2-1 and they beat Sheffield United 7-1.

Now I know Sheffield United are one of the worst teams we've seen in a long while at this level but it's not like they lose by six goal margins every week. In recent times they've lost 3-1 to Liverpool and 4-2 to Man. United. Also got a 2-2 v Chelsea.

Can Spurs just turn it on and score 7 or even 8 in a blink of an eye. Again form isn't suggesting that at all, they only scored two v Luton when they won that game.

This is all still very much in our favour as long as we don't attempt ridiculous high line tactics v Liverpool as they will expose us and beat us by a few goals. Spurs only beating Burnley by a single goal is far from a terrible result though.

40 minutes ago, thejoker said:

Are you watching Manure now?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, thejoker said:

Are you watching the Man U game?  I seriously don’t know how we lost to them.  They are awful, can’t defend, space all over the pitch and basically Palace toying with them without finishing them off.  Man U basically have no central defenders at the moment of any decent level.  Arsenal should destroy this team, they could seriously rack up goals against these.