Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

It's funny how so many of my mates think we're going to get at least a draw against Liverpool yet are worried about getting bashed by Crystal Madrid

• Haha 1

If Spurs lose or draw to Burnley then lose to City there's a real chance that they don't even finish 6th... that would be a typical Spursy thing to do...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

If Spurs lose or draw to Burnley then lose to City there's a real chance that they don't even finish 6th... that would be a typical Spursy thing to do...

That's more likely than them finishing 4th (but still not very likely at all)

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If Spurs beat Burnley and we lose to Liverpool and Spurs beat Man City

Would even add if they draw against Man City. They can rack up goals against Burnley and Sheff Utd (not saying they do, but they’re capable).

Just hope Man City (or, better, Burnley) beat them so it’s job done. 

35 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I dread to think what it's going to be like next season if we fall off a bit with the added demands of the CL and other teams getting their shit together

Is the CL that much more demanding than what we have done this year i Europe? my memory is trash but im not sure we did much resting in European games?

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Would even add if they draw against Man City. They can rack up goals against Burnley and Sheff Utd (not saying they do, but they’re capable).

If they batter Burnley then yes. But we're adding more and more permutations here. I think it's very unlikely.

But yes if they put 5 past Burnley AND draw with Man City then I'd be nervous.

In reality I think they'll lose to City and we'll have a day on the beach on the last day

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Spurs leak goals. They could just as easily beat Sheffield United 5-4. I'm not sure they can keep clean sheets in the coming games. 

Edited by The_Steve

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If they batter Burnley then yes. But we're adding more and more permutations here. I think it's very unlikely.

But yes if they put 5 past Burnley AND draw with Man City then I'd be nervous.

In reality I think they'll lose to City and we'll have a day on the beach on the last day

15 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Spurs leak goals. They could just as easily beat Sheffield United 5-4. I'm not sure they can keep clean sheets in the coming games. 

The goal difference at the moment is 9.  We're assuming (worst case, of course) that we lose to both Liverpool and Palace so Spurs can catch us.  The "best" worst case scenario here is that we lose by the odd goal so the goal difference is essentially 7.

Spurs have already beaten Burnley 5-2 this season.  If they go into that last game knowing they need to score a lot against Sheff Utd, it's absolutely possible - Sheff Utd have already lost 0-8 (Newcastle), 0-5 (us), 0-5 (Brighton), 0-6 (Arsenal) and 1-4 (Burnley) at home this season; their defence is woeful.  Spurs don't even need to keep clean sheets in that scenario, they just need to hammer two sides which are probably the most hammer-able in the league this season.

If they beat Burnley 2-0, draw against Man City and we lose to Liverpool I'll be incredibly nervous - and there's a decent chance they beat Burnley at home by more than just 2 goals.

Spurs haven’t kept a clean sheet since they beat us on March 10. I will be shocked if they suddenly start doing so now. Liverpool easily could have scored 7 against them. 

9 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Spurs haven’t kept a clean sheet since they beat us on March 10. I will be shocked if they suddenly start doing so now. Liverpool easily could have scored 7 against them. 

I don’t know why you’re focusing on the clean sheet aspect, but replace 2-0 with 4-2 or something. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

A lot of negativity on here as usual.  Would anyone swap positions with Spurs?

No because then I'd be a Spurs fan, oh you mean Villa be where Spurs are... no, because we'd probably drop points to Burnley and Sheffield Utd...

Edited by ben1505
error

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

A lot of negativity on here as usual.  Would anyone swap positions with Spurs?

It’s not negativity - just discussing possible outcomes on a forum. 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, bobzy said:

It’s not negativity - just discussing possible outcomes on a forum. 

Discussing them negatively.

Edited by duke313
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

No because then I'd be a Spurs fan, oh you mean Villa be where Spurs are... no, because we'd probably drop points to Burnley and Sheffield Utd...

How would SWAPPING positions with Spurs make you a Spurs fan?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Discussing them negatively.

I suppose so - we’re in the driving seat and highly likely to finish 4th so the alternative is worse. If we were 5th and chasing down 4th, the discussions would be “positive” in your eyes.

If you don’t like reading about different permutations because it’s too negative for you, you know what to do!

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

It's funny how so many of my mates think we're going to get at least a draw against Liverpool yet are worried about getting bashed by Crystal Madrid

It’s because Palace are the only team, other than Spurs, that can catch us between now and the end of the season. 

The only concern would be if the Spurs game is one of those freak ones where city miss a million chances and Spurs nick a goal.

But those are very few and far between so I just can’t see it happening.

Also can’t see us losing 3 games in a row. I reckon we’ll get at least a point.