Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, RichW said:

If we beat Chelsea I think that put's a lot of pressure on Spurs but I wouldn't say its all but sewn up. If Villa can beat Man City and Arsenal at home then I'd argue Spurs can do the same. 

I think this is the key point. Spurs are well known for buckling under pressure, so if we have a 9pt gap before they kick a ball, it will probably negatively affect their performances.

• Like 1

I am not going to get too confident yet as all it takes is one red card or injury to impact the run-in. It’s unbelievable what we have done when the pressure was on. Chelsea look pretty good at the moment so will be a tough one. Even a point would add pressure to Spurs. Hard to know which Spurs side will turn up but I’d much rather have points on the board. I have a feeling 72 is the magic number to get. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Can I bet on Spurs not getting to 70pts? I don't think they will

Yes kind of. Betfair exchange - you can offer or take the opposite to any bet - so for example if you can bet Spurs for top 4, then you can also bet Spurs NOT top 4.   There are some points variations on there as well via handicaps, so you could work out an relevant opposite to one of those.

Be keeping an eye on Chelsea / Arsenal tomorrow. With the former out of the cup now and no CL to play for will be interesting how the motivation is with the squad. 

Overall match Spurs results against Liverpool and Chelsea and win either one of Brighton and Palace and we should be fine.

19 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

We can take it as a given that Spurs will beat Sheff Utd. I think we can also say it is highly likely they beat Burnley. That then gets them to 66. 

It then comes down to us needing to get more points from our four games against Chelsea (H) Brighton (A) Liverpool (H) Palace (A) than they do against Arsenal (H) Chelsea (A) Liverpool (A) Man City (H).

We both play Chelsea and Liverpool with the big advantage for us being we are at home for both whilst they are away so even if we are a little pessimistic and say we both take the same amount of points from those games it then comes down to us needing more points from Brighton and Palace away than they take from Arsenal and Man City at home. 

What a fantastic position we have put ourselves in.

This is exactly how my brain is processing it all too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

I think this is the key point. Spurs are well known for buckling under pressure, so if we have a 9pt gap before they kick a ball, it will probably negatively affect their performances.

They may just settle for 5th at that point - meaning resting players, giving fringe squad members an opportunity and tactically trying some new things.

1 hour ago, Nabby said:

Be keeping an eye on Chelsea / Arsenal tomorrow. With the former out of the cup now and no CL to play for will be interesting how the motivation is with the squad. 

Overall match Spurs results against Liverpool and Chelsea and win either one of Brighton and Palace and we should be fine.

It's well within Chelseas grasp to get 6th spot and europa league this season (if europa goes to 6th spot with a man City FA Cup win?)

Edited by MaVilla

1 hour ago, Nabby said:

I was thinking myself, do Chelsea actually want conference league football? 

In the last four games Chelsea have failed to beat both Burnley and Sheffield United, they lost leads in both games, Burnley were down to ten men for a large portion of the game too, they needed injury time goals to beat Manchester United, both teams were as bad as each other in that game defensively, and they weren't even that great against Everton, Palmer aside, that was more about how poor Everton were.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

I was thinking myself, do Chelsea actually want conference league football? 

I'd say no and also I suspect the players not on any bonuses to get in it either. 

3 hours ago, Nabby said:

Cole Palmer is out ill for the game which is a big blow for them but wondering if he’ll be back for our game Saturday.  Having him not play against us would be a big positive for us and deflate them I guess.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, useless said:

In the last four games Chelsea have failed to beat both Burnley and Sheffield United, they lost leads in both games, Burnley were down to ten men for a large portion of the game too, they needed injury time goals to beat Manchester United, both teams were as bad as each other in that game defensively, and they weren't even that great against Everton, Palmer aside, that was more about how poor Everton were.

They tend to raise their game against the bigger teams (which includes us:D). I doubt that they won't be up for it against Arsenal and they were certainly up for it against us in the cup, as I expect them to be at the weekend. They have two potential routes to the Europa Cup via winning the  FA Cup or their league placing, so do have something left to play for imo.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Keyblade said:

If Spurs were as good as we're led to believe they should be the ones 6 points clear given their fixtures.

Imagine 'angeball' with a good dollop of extra European games thrown in.....

• Like 1