Europa Conference League 23/24

HalfTimePost

11 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

So has the ECL resulted in more teams playing in Europe, or just a slimmed down Europa League?

I read on Wikipedia (so could be wrong!) the Europa League was basically split in two for the inception of the Conference, so effectively the same number of teams give or take overall 

28 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

I read on Wikipedia (so could be wrong!) the Europa League was basically split in two for the inception of the Conference, so effectively the same number of teams give or take overall 

Pretty much, teams from the weaker countries mainly go into Conference League

How does Sevilla vs Roma require a Sevilla win? Sevilla are unlikely to be in Europe at all via the league (4 places adrift with 1 game to go, which is away to 4th placed Sociedad), so if they win they'll take a CL place or lose and they wont be in Europe at all. Roma would end up the Conference if they lose that final and get a worse result than Juventus in the last league game...

Edited by StewieGriffin

2 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

How does Sevilla vs Roma require a Sevilla win? Sevilla are unlikely to be in Europe at all via the league (4 places adrift with 1 game to go, which is away to 4th placed Sociedad), so if they win they'll take a CL place or lose and they wont be in Europe at all. Roma would end up the Conference if they lose and get a worse result than Juventus...

Something like if Sevilla don’t win the EL but they do manage to finish 7th in La Liga (unlikely but not impossible) then they will be seeded and we won’t be. So if they win the EL it is one less for us to worry about. 

But by the sound of it there are other permutations that will come in to play anyway, it’s all a bit of a headache. 

• Thanks 1

I know that almost none of my fellow dedicated American compatriots on VT fit this mould, but many Americans would struggle hard to understand where most of our prospective opponents live. If you've ever thought that Americans aren't good at geography, I mean, that's an understatement, and there's good (if aging) research that bears that out, too. But some of the clubs are really so small and seemingly obscure. It's fascinating. I wonder if ever better geographically educated people will have much knowledge of some of these little villes and burgs. Could we face the likes of UE Santa Coloma, whose grounds seat something like 1,500? This is a new world for Villa. Just can't wait.

In a nation called the world's superpower, only 17 percent of young adults in the United States could find Afghanistan on a map, according to a new worldwide survey released today.

The young U.S. citizens received poor marks generally in geography. But then, as results showed, their counterparts in other countries were hardly star students.

The National Geographic–Roper 2002 Global Geographic Literacy Survey polled more than 3,000 18- to 24-year-olds in Canada, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Sweden and the United States.

Sweden scored highest; Mexico, lowest. The U.S. was next to last.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

15 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Very close to dropping to in seeded though! 

That projection is for the group stage pots.  We need three of these possibilities to happen, as far as I can tell:

Brugge, Basel, Gent, the Turkish cup winner or 2nd place, PAOK, Maccabi, or Viktoria Plzen to bottling it in the 2nd qualifying round of the ECL or Slavia Prague or Olympiakos winning in the 3rd qualifying round of the EL or not-Sevilla to finish 7th in Spain

I rather like those chances.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I know that almost none of my fellow dedicated American compatriots on VT fit this mould, but many Americans would struggle hard to understand where most of our prospective opponents live. If you've ever thought that Americans aren't good at geography, I mean, that's an understatement, and there's good (if aging) research that bears that out, too. But some of the clubs are really so small and seemingly obscure. It's fascinating. I wonder if ever better geographically educated people will have much knowledge of some of these little villes and burgs. Could we face the likes of UE Santa Coloma, whose grounds seat something like 1,500? This is a new world for Villa. Just can't wait.

You can actually look at the geographic piece from the other way around - I think most British/European men have a surprising grasp of obscure European geography precisely because of the location of football teams we grow up watching. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

No Young Boys in this, they will be in CL or EL.

That's a pity. Would be good to play at the Wankdorf 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think even if we end up as unseeded we should be heavy favourites against nearly all the opponent's we can face. Especially as Emery will be razor focused on us winning and have done his homework on the opposition. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, leviramsey said:

That projection is for the group stage pots.  We need three of these possibilities to happen, as far as I can tell:

Brugge, Basel, Gent, the Turkish cup winner or 2nd place, PAOK, Maccabi, or Viktoria Plzen to bottling it in the 2nd qualifying round of the ECL or Slavia Prague or Olympiakos winning in the 3rd qualifying round of the EL or not-Sevilla to finish 7th in Spain

I rather like those chances.

I think you're correct up to the Slavia Prague / Olympiakos part. Those teams, or if/whoever they beat even if low coefficient themselves, will still be seeded due to inheriting their opponents' seedings.

Also before that, if Fenerbahce win the Turkish cup on 11th June then Adana Demirspor will be in the ECL rather than İstanbul Başakşehir, and it doesn't matter then what happens in that qualifying round as we'll already have a higher coefficient. Same as if Cluj lose their Romanian ECL play-off (yes there is a match just for this) on Thursday.

11 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

How does Sevilla vs Roma require a Sevilla win? Sevilla are unlikely to be in Europe at all via the league (4 places adrift with 1 game to go, which is away to 4th placed Sociedad), so if they win they'll take a CL place or lose and they wont be in Europe at all. Roma would end up the Conference if they lose that final and get a worse result than Juventus in the last league game...

Sevilla winning isn't required, it's just a backup option to prevent them from entering the ECL as a highly seeded team in the unlikely event they do finish 7th in La Liga (all the other possibilities would have lower coefficients than us). In the above working, it's already assumed that Juventus will be in the ECL as the top seed as it stands, so Roma taking their place instead wouldn't affect the situation in terms of (predicted) amount of teams with higher coefficients than us.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I think even if we end up as unseeded we should be heavy favourites against nearly all the opponent's we can face. Especially as Emery will be razor focused on us winning and have done his homework on the opposition. 

aside from juve there's no team that i fear. there are some big 'names', certainly on the seeded side, but at the end of the day they're all in the conf league rather than europa or CL for a reason...

for example i always thought of eintracht frankfurt as being a strong side but looked at their squad earlier and aside from gotze i didn't recognise a single name. maybe that says more about my european football knowledge than anything else though!

• Like 1