Europa Conference League 23/24

HalfTimePost

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Because I think it's smalltime to celebrate conference league.

Trying to raise the standards.

We like to label ourselves a massive club then we need to act like it.

i'll bet Tottenham and Brentford and Chelsea are all thinking.   "Whew! bullet well and truly dodged.   We almost found ourselves in that pathetic and insignificant conference league." Tottenham and Brentford weren't celebrating their own wins on the final day, they were celebrating because we won and spared them the indignity.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Our standards are down the drain after years of mismanagement.

I am only just recovering.

Unai Emery is demanding more. Owners are demanding more. So should we.

In my head I'm not being negative, I'm being positive.

Hopefully in 4 or 5 seasons time we'll all feel the same.  "Only" qualifying for the Conference instead of the Champions League or Europa League - will be seen as a disappointment.  But for now it is definitely a potential springboard to the next level.  So I can kind of see where you are coming from - even if I think we need to prove we can crawl before we can dream of sprinting.  Also it really ****es me off when you hear Liverpool fans (this season) bemoaning the fact that they should be in the Champions League every season.  Hopefully it won't be long before we have a Top 8 or 9 rather than a Top 6 and three or four other clubs who could finish in the Top 8 if they have a good season.  It would be nice if any European spot was celebrated by any team rather than a choice few assuming that it is "their right".  (Obviously I exclude Villa in that because we'll be qualifying for the CL every year with Emery!!!)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ender4 said:

How does Italy completely lose their Conference place if Roma win the Europa League tonight?

I think because winning a european competition cannot transfer a european place to another team that hasn't themselves earn't it via league position. This differs from the way domestic cups places can transfer. So in PL, 6th and 7th aren't euro places unless the domestic cup winners' spots transfer to those league positions, but these can never transfer below 7th. If a team wins a euro comp and finishes in a league position that already earns a european place, 8th place is deemed to have not themselves earned qualification, so there is no extra spot. If a team wins a euro comp and finishes outside the euro qualifying league places, they still get the place they earned themselves. And 7th gets their place as they earned it through league position, this isn't lost because another team also achieved qualification.

4 hours ago, villan-scott said:

So either way it’s decent for us but better if Roma win… I think. Depending on who finishes where in their respective leagues. Think it’ll all be clear after the weekend and European leagues wrap up. 

Right, he’s clarified that’s it’s definitely better for us if Roma win and would result in a really high chance of us being seeded. Cmon Jose and Tammy!

• Thanks 2

Not against spreading the host cities. The prize for that is that it will be too small stadiums sometimes. At least it is not a extremely small one next year. 32 000 capacity.

Agia Sofia Stadium - New AEK Athens Stadium - The Stadium Guide

4 hours ago, villan-scott said:

So either way it’s decent for us but better if Roma win… I think. Depending on who finishes where in their respective leagues. Think it’ll all be clear after the weekend and European leagues wrap up. 

I think it's fairly safe to assume we'll be seeded because, as I understand it, this account is presenting the scenario if the highest coefficient teams get through the qualifying rounds which isn't at all guaranteed. There's 6 confirm teams that start in 2nd qualifying round or earlier that could get knocked out and replaced with lower coefficient teams. (The playoff draw is done before the 3rd qualifying has started so high coefficient teams being knocked out in this round doesn't bump us up.)

Also not guaranteed is that 8 of the 17 team listed ahead of us will actually be in the competition at all because their leagues or cups aren't finished yet and other teams, some with lower coefficients than us, could still qualify instead.

Given we only need one or two of these teams to change/get knocked out before 3rd qualifying, I think we are safe to assume we'll be seeded.

• Thanks 2

Well considering there were years of us circling the drain before being put out of our misery by Garde in what was probably the worst season I've witnessed as a fan (started supporting in 87) 

Damn right  am I going to celebrate and be proud of our achievements this season.

Up the effin Villa.

Edited by chrisvilla4
  • Like 4

Bollocks, after reading yesterday’s tweet I’ve put up the Sevilla bunting. Do I have to take it down now?

This is all much too vastly complicated for my tiny mind. You would need a brain as big as Big Blue to keep track of all the possible computations. I think I’m just going to have to wait until 7 August to see who we’ve got in the playoffs.

5 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Can still enjoy it while not overly celebrating conference qualification.

I think people are not quite getting what I'm saying.

Very pleased with how Emery has transformed us.

People are getting what you're saying just fine. You should consider that maybe you're not doing a great job of saying what you're trying to say.