Marco Asensio

wishywashy

6 minutes ago, Spoony said:

It’s a shame this city chat is off topic because it’s far more interesting lol

Haha, I bet there's a thread we could revive in the deep depths of OT somewhere.

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Anyone have concerns about his recovery from ACL injury?

Yes.

About 90% of the clips floating around are pre-injury. When he was genuinely incredible.

Mute this for the love of god.

Edited by Tomaszk

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Anyone have concerns about his recovery from ACL injury?

well, that was in 19/20, and since then 130+ games, scoring 34 goals and providing 13 assists, so guess not?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Beastmix said:

The man's won everything worth winning with Real Madrid, including multiple Champions Leagues (which is the only thing worth winning at PSG). 

Why not time for a fun, and financially rewarding, project in the most exciting league on Earth, with fans who'll be excited to see you, and in a city which isn't literally on fire?

Just came to post the same. 

As well as playing in two winning finals, he was an unused sub in a third win. He's seen the good and the ugly side of a huge club reaching those stages of the finals.

He's probably also seen PSG make a mess of this season's despite their riches, and sack their manager. The uncertainty surrounding that project may well not be that appealing.

Admittedly, we cant even offer the Europa League, let alone champions league, but maybe he's after something different as he reaches the prime of his career. 

Taking a formerly huge club back in to the champions league, with a world cup winning goal keeper, an elite manager, in the "best league in the world" (tm) , playing a starring role.... could be what he's after. Not to mention he's going to get paid a shed load to do it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Yes.

About 90% of the clips floating around are pre-injury. When he was genuinely incredible.

For those who follow Madrid more closely, I can see he scored more goals post-ACL, but everyone seemed to be more excited about him as a prospect pre-ACL.

Did he change his game? Has he lost some of that explosive pace and dribbling and become more of a goalscorer? Or is the ACL thing overblown and he’s just a victim of being stuck in a stacked squad with players like Vinicius ahead of him?

5 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I wonder when his “ Madrid announcement” will be?

Whenever the PR team decide to pull the trigger on an Instagram post. 

• Like 1

Appreciate all the 'here's why!' arguments but would a player in their prime and in demand really go from Madrid → Birmingham, Champions League → Europa Conference?

Remarkable if so, but unlikely, surely...

1 minute ago, AvonVillain said:

Appreciate all the 'here's why!' arguments but would a player in their prime and in demand really go from Madrid → Birmingham, Champions League → Europa Conference?

It is unlikely. But we’ll pay him the same as anyone else, have a brilliant manager who he’ll know of, an exciting project too. Plus he’s won everything already and that could be the difference

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Spoony said:

It’s a shame this city chat is off topic because it’s far more interesting lol

45 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Haha, I bet there's a thread we could revive in the deep depths of OT somewhere.

This thread probably covers it.

On the broader subject of players being attracted to the city where a club is based, I think that’s somewhat overestimated.

Just before he put pen to paper, I don’t think Diego Costa looked up to the Wolves representative and said “Ok, as long as the Mander Centre is as good as you say it is…”

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

For those who follow Madrid more closely, I can see he scored more goals post-ACL, but everyone seemed to be more excited about him as a prospect pre-ACL.

Did he change his game? Has he lost some of that explosive pace and dribbling and become more of a goalscorer? Or is the ACL thing overblown and he’s just a victim of being stuck in a stacked squad with players like Vinicius ahead of him?

He's not particularly a ball carrier much now. Lots of talk he wants to play behind a striker isn't there?

What concerns me is he feels exactly the sort of player who could struggle in the Premier League. Not quick, technical player, used to playing in a dominant side (which we aren't always).

Full trust in Emery. I just don't want another high earning spot holding us back. We must get these top earners correct.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Come on Marco, let's be seeing that statement!

All it's gonna say is the generic thank you Madrid, amazing support, always in my heart, time for a new adventure, on the bottom it will say Hala Madrid,  and there is a 90% chance it will have a picture of him holding the CL trophy.

Someone quote me on this in a few hours time please.

Nothing to get too excited about. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

All it's gonna say is the generic thank you Madrid, amazing support, always in my heart, time for a new adventure, on the bottom it will say Hala Madrid,  and there is a 90% chance it will have a picture of him holding the CL trophy.

Someone quote me on this in a few hours time please.

Nothing to get too excited about. 

I'll be happy with that. That would mean that:

1) He's definitely not staying (unless he does an Almeny).

2) He wouldn't be saying that if he hadn't already agreed something with someone else, so a statement by Villa, PSG or an Italian football club should follow soon.

35 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Stranger things have happened. Remember when Shaqiri signed for Stoke?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This thread probably covers it.

On the broader subject of players being attracted to the city where a club is based, I think that’s somewhat overestimated.

Just before he put pen to paper, I don’t think Diego Costa looked up to the Wolves representative and said “Ok, as long as the Mander Centre is as good as you say it is…”

Maybe but, without going any further off topic, directly before I came to this thread I was reading Tammy Abraham saying about Rome:

“Amazing city, amazing food, amazing weather, amazing people. I love it. I think after your career, that’s when you take in the experiences. I’ll be able to look back and think: ‘I spent some of my life living in Rome.’ You will cherish it even more. I came here to learn a different part of my game, to spread my wings, to learn a different way of living. I love being here.”

Don’t remember him using those exact words when we was playing for us :)

• Haha 2

Â