Harvey Barnes

Delphinho123

36 minutes ago, PaulC said:

All I will say is if we'd have had his 12 goals this season we'd be a lot closer to a champions league place.

And if my aunt had bollocks she'd be my uncle. There's no guarantee he'd have scored 12 for us anyway. 

• Like 1

I don't think we will sign Barnes as despite playing different position I see him as similar to Ings, scores goals but not enough of an all round game to suit Emery; just as sometimes strikers score goals but aren't always good for the team because if they're not scoring then they're not offering much else, then the same can be said of other players, in fact even more so if they play in positions other than striker, Conor Hourihane and El Ghazi had something of that element about them.

Barnes plays similar position to Ramsey but they have different roles, despite playing on our left Ramsey still has a lot central midfield type responsibliites, he's still essentially a box-to-box midfielder, whereas Barnes is more of an out and out attacking wide forward.

If we brought Barnes into the team, then he would have to play in place of Buendia or Bailey, or if he replaced Ramsey, then we would then have to balance that out by playing McGinn on right in place of Bailey.

We wouldn't buy Barnes or similar player to play left and then have another similar winger to him on the other side, one of our wide players has to be more of a central midfield type player.

We essentially still play with three midfielders and three attackers, if we tried playing two midfielders and four attackers like old style 442 would soon get overrun, whover plays as midfielder/winger hybrid in our team has a very important role.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't think we will sign Barnes as despite playing different position I see him as similar to Ings, scores goals but not enough of an all round game to suit Emery; just as sometimes strikers score goals but aren't always good for the team because if they're not scoring then they're not offering much else, then the same can be said of other players, in fact even more so if they play in positions other than striker, Conor Hourihane and El Ghazi had something of that element about them.

Barnes plays similar position to Ramsey but they have different roles, despite playing on our left Ramsey still has a lot central midfield type responsibliites, he's still essentially a box-to-box midfielder, whereas Barnes is more of an out and out attacking wide forward.

If we brought Barnes into the team, then he would have to play in place of Buendia or Bailey, or if he replaced Ramsey, then we would then have to balance that out by playing McGinn on right in place of Bailey.

We wouldn't buy Barnes or similar player to play left and then have another similar winger to him on the other side, one of our wide players has to be more of a central midfield type player.

We essentially still play with three midfielders and three attackers, if we tried playing two midfielders and four attackers like old style 442 would soon get overrun, whover plays as midfielder/winger hybrid in our team has a very important role.

I think we probably want two players in attacking roles who can play up top with Watkins or come from wide midfield either side. We definitely need a left footed wide player as we only have Bailey with Traore leaving most likely 

14 minutes ago, lexicon said:

And if my aunt had bollocks she'd be my uncle. There's no guarantee he'd have scored 12 for us anyway. 

He might have scored 14 with us😆

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Thats not how it works though. Thats the Purslow mathematics to replace Jack again

I know it's not that simple but we are over reliant on Watkins to score. Okay Bailey, Buendia, Ramsey all have chipped in but nobody close to double figures 

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

thats my concern.

I don't see us making big money signings,i.e North of 40 mill, for various reasons.

Nobody was really excited when we signed Tony Morley. I would put Barnes in that bracket. I really think he could do quite well for us.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, useless said:

Fair point that he plays on the left of the pitch - could he work on the right?  That's where we need whoever we bring in.

This kind of player, though.  Desperately lacking pace and directness.

Just now, lexicon said:

With Nakamba staying and winning the ballon d'or, presumably? 

Thats a weird post. Barnes has proved goals in the Premier League. Nakamba is a limited player. 

Just now, PaulC said:

Thats a weird post. Barnes has proved goals in the Premier League. Nakamba is a limited player. 

He's got 34 in 145. That's alright tbf and I don't want to get drawn into saying he's a bad player, because I don't think he is. I just don't think he's the right fit for the system, as I've said many times, because of the type of player he is. I think there are so many more aspects and statistics to consider than just goals scored and that given how we play, there's nothing to say he'd score as many for us. 

• Like 1

In theory he could probably play left or right, or in Beundia's position off the striker.

I've a feeling this transfer won't happen, feels similar to the Dwight McNeill link of last summer.

Maybe a smokescreen whilst we go for other targets.

I don’t see how Barnes improves the current squad. There are flashes of quality but far too much inconsistency for me.

Edited by QldVilla

He's destroyed us a few times with his pace and directness. Anyway we all have different opinions. I think with Emery working with him he could become an even better player 

52 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He isnt better than Ramsey though which is pretty much the position he plays or would in our team

Wouldn’t he play in the second striker role, a la Bailey? Emery usually uses a natural winger there (pre dating his time at Villa). His goal record is good enough.

Btw I realise this is probably a completely BS link and we won’t sign him, but just talking hypothetically if Emery was actually looking at him…

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He's destroyed us a few times with his pace and directness. Anyway we all have different opinions. I think with Emery working with him he could become an even better player 

What's important is how he plays against all the teams in the league, not just against us. If that were the case, we'd have signed Leon Osman and Federico Macheda back in the day. 

I agree that Emery could improve him, sure. I just think that given the work to do, we'd be better off going for someone who is more suitable now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Wouldn’t he play in the second striker role, a la Bailey? Emery usually uses a natural winger there (pre dating his time at Villa). His goal record is good enough.

Btw I realise this is probably a completely BS link and we won’t sign him, but just talking hypothetically if Emery was actually looking at him…

He has played mainly left wing at Leicester, doesnt seem to have played up front or any other position at all certainly not this season

Â