Harvey Barnes

Delphinho123

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Over last 4 seasons he's got 56 goals and assists from 97.1 90mins. That's 0.58 per 90. 

That's leagues better than any player we've got

In a system that is vastly different to ours. 

15 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I don't agree, sorry. I think a lot of you are basing your opinion of him off the fact that he was decent against us rather than his full body of work.

That’s fine to not agree, but the idea that people only rate him because of a couple of touches against us is a bit pathetic.

He’s very obviously better than our existing talent in that area of the pitch - both in terms of the eyeball test and in terms of stats.

Is he the best player we could sign there? No, but at the right price I’d take him 100%, especially if Emery sees value in him.

If Emery’s interested, then I trust his judgment. If he isn’t then fine, but no doubt Barnes won’t be a perennial relegation battler. Remember good players can play for struggling clubs.

• Like 1

Just now, KentVillan said:

That’s fine to not agree, but the idea that people only rate him because of a couple of touches against us is a bit pathetic.

He’s very obviously better than our existing talent in that area of the pitch - both in terms of the eyeball test and in terms of stats.

Is he the best player we could sign there? No, but at the right price I’d take him 100%, especially if Emery sees value in him.

If Emery’s interested, then I trust his judgment. If he isn’t then fine, but no doubt Barnes won’t be a perennial relegation battler. Remember good players can play for struggling clubs.

Well we can definitely agree 100% re: Emery's wishes and I apologise for being a little hostile with my post - it was misdirected ire/exasperation.

• Like 2

If we end up signing him, he'll have 100% of my support to succeed and I'll back Emery to get the most out of him. 

Do I think we'll end up signing him?  Not at all, because I don't think he's good enough and we'll be shopping in a completely different market this summer.  We need quality up top and not players to make up the numbers, so I expect us to go after players that the top 6 will be linked to, not cast offs from relegation fodder.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

If we end up signing him, he'll have 100% of my support to succeed and I'll back Emery to get the most out of him. 

Do I think we'll end up signing him?  Not at all, because I don't think he's good enough and we'll be shopping in a completely different market this summer.  We need quality up top and not players to make up the numbers, so I expect us to go after players that the top 6 will be linked to, not cast offs from relegation fodder.  

I generally agree with the thrust of this, but we are so light in wide attacking talent that we may well need to sign two or three players, and it’s unlikely they’ll all be the sort of signings you’re hoping for.

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I generally agree with the thrust of this, but we are so light in wide attacking talent that we may well need to sign two or three players, and it’s unlikely they’ll all be the sort of signings you’re hoping for.

I don't rate Bailey and I think his poor play has been holding us back a lot this season, but I don't want to sign other wingers I don't particularly like (Barnes, Bowen, McNeil, Johnson, Ayew, etc.) because they're marginally better.  I think Emery showed this January that he isn't going to spend money on someone to make up the numbers when the quality he's looking for just isn't there or doesn't want to come to us in this particular transfer window.  

Edited by KMitch

I don’t think anyone really thinks Barnes is a bad player, just that maybe he’s not going to be a transformative signing which we really need in that part of the pitch. My concern with players with stats like Barnes is goals can very easily dry up and then you wonder whether or not they have enough else in their game to make up the difference to the team. I don’t see Barnes as a dominant player on the pitch or particularly creative, or offering a lot of work rate, I just kind of find him as a decent but slightly forgettable player. Would be a useful squad addition but I don’t think Leicester would sell him cheap enough for it to be worth it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, lexicon said:

So tell me this then - are you his father, brother or agent?

And why aren't every team breaking the door down to sign this Haaland/Mbappe hybrid?

Ridiculous. I use reasoning and data to back up my argument and you ask if I'm his father or agent. 

I believe the discussion ends there

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Ridiculous. I use reasoning and data to back up my argument and you ask if I'm his father or agent. 

Hyperbole, apparently.

Edited by bobzy

I think it’s a bit strange when people say. “Why aren’t other clubs in for a player .” I know a couple of guys who work for intermediaries and let’s just say a lot of conversations between agents and clubs take place that never make it to press.

26 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Your incredibly basic use of data was limited to goals and did not take anything else into account, let alone our style of play. Don't be delusional. 

17 hours ago, KentVillan said:

No, he’s clearly one of their best attacking talents and would be a massive upgrade on Bailey / Traore

He isnt better than Ramsey though which is pretty much the position he plays or would in our team

On 26/05/2023 at 18:13, I Make Pies said:

The main question mark over Barnes appears to be his lack of consistency, something Emery has improved on with our current players. He could take this lad to another level.

wingers in general are notoriously inconsistent.

26 minutes ago, PaulC said:

All I will say is if we'd have had his 12 goals this season we'd be a lot closer to a champions league place.

Thats not how it works though. Thats the Purslow mathematics to replace Jack again

• Like 1

16 hours ago, david-avfc said:

I don’t think anyone really thinks Barnes is a bad player, just that maybe he’s not going to be a transformative signing which we really need in that part of the pitch. My concern with players with stats like Barnes is goals can very easily dry up and then you wonder whether or not they have enough else in their game to make up the difference to the team. I don’t see Barnes as a dominant player on the pitch or particularly creative, or offering a lot of work rate, I just kind of find him as a decent but slightly forgettable player. Would be a useful squad addition but I don’t think Leicester would sell him cheap enough for it to be worth it

thats my concern.

I don't see us making big money signings,i.e North of 40 mill, for various reasons.

Â