Harvey Barnes

Delphinho123

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

Has any Championship/relegated player ever gone for close to that amount? If they go down I think it’ll be more like £20-25m and there will be plenty of takers at that price.

Wasn't Buendia 30 odd mill?

Been digging around and I think Nathan Ake’s £40m move from Bournemouth to Man City would be the most expensive move from a relegated side.

Anyway I generally agree with @It's Your Roundthat we tend not to publicly announce who we’re chasing and this is probably a distraction, deliberate or otherwise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

Let’s also note that that 34/145 total includes, for example, multiple substitute appearances at 18 or 19 years old. Over the last three seasons when he’s been more established it’s 27 goals in 90 games which is not far off 1 in 3.

Edit: I know the point of your post was not to get drawn into stats but just think citing 34 in 145 does him a disservice. 

That's fair enough - stats are very much not the be-all and end-all, and as you've said can not be quite representative of a player.

That said, I don't think goals alone is a metric of whether a player is suitable for us - especially when the role requires more than that. 

It’s his goal record this season that stands out. 12 goals, 219 minutes per goal (which I think were all in open play???)

Compare with Watkins 14 goals, 217 mins per goal.

The only wide players ahead of him are Salah, Rashford, Martinelli and Saka.

Obviously you can caveat all of this with lack of assists, lack of defensive contribution, going missing from games, etc, but clearly he is going to be of interest to more than one club in the top half of the table. He doesn’t scream relegation battler to me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

We signed Buendia just after their Championship season. He'd played a season of the PL and looked good in an awful Norwich side. Not £40m good, but like he could play football.

But that’s exactly the point, they’d been promoted so had a £170m influx of cash and could be picky/drive a hard bargain. If you’ve just gone down or are stuck in the Champ it’s usually the opposite. That’s why relegation probably halves his price. 

48 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Might just be a classic decoy story/link before we sign someone a class above from out of nowhere. 

I hope so. Nothing against Barnes, but he doesn't quite get the blood pumping.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I hope so. Nothing against Barnes, but he doesn't quite get the blood pumping.

Bailey got the blood pumping when we signed him, at least is proven in the Premier League 

56 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Bailey got the blood pumping when we signed him, at least is proven in the Premier League 

Yeah, I mean Barnes is a sensible signing depending on the price and how he'd fit into the side. I'd really like Barnes if we get him at a relegation discount and as a backup to our top choice.

2 hours ago, AshVilla said:

15 - 20 would be my ceiling for him fee wise.

Chap has just got double figures in the Premier League.

Fifteen million pounds gets you one-third of an Anthony Gordon these days.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Enda said:

Chap has just got double figures in the Premier League.

Fifteen million pounds gets you one-third of an Anthony Gordon these days.

Means jack, his club has just got relegated and they won't be getting 40 or 50 million for him that's for sure.

Edited by AshVilla

Â