Pre-Match Thread Cup Final 4 of 10

TheAuthority

4 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Don’t think we are playing any different on this poor run of results than when we were before but the luck has changed like it always does.We are more than capable of getting a win Saturday but not confident and would settle for a draw.Watched you beat Newcastle Saturday in a Brum pub before making my way to Wolverhampton and went back after the game and met quite a few Villa fans in and around New street they were rightly excited about the game and the run in.Most of my mates think we will get stuffed and are on the beach but I don’t think Frank will allow that to happen.

A game against Brentford is never, ever easy. You have a chance to be sure, but I have to be optimistic given how Unai has us playing. 

Good luck, but not too much 😉

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Oh go on then as soon as ive done it every week we have won lets hope that remains

Screenshot_20230417_100956_Facebook.jpg

We were doing in this in the Championship, but the teams included Millwall, Bolton, Bristol, Rotherham Sheff Wed, Blackburn.  

I mean, that 10 game streak was wonderful and all, but now we're taking the scalps of Champions League winners, former league winners, top 4 contenders and Premier League ever presents, with the same squad that had 9 points in 11 games.  

It's insane how far we've come in the last 3/4 years.  I'm feeling very grateful that we seem to have a proper plan, with a real manager who's managing our capable team and improving them as players.  

No longer are we working and talking in clichés.  We have a proper coach(es), who identifies strengths and weaknesses in players and works with them to become better players.  Doesn't that seem obvious and easy?   All of the players have something to focus on.  I watched the entire Newcastle game (before/after too) last night as the family were in bed for 8pm.  Ollie Watkins interview before the game, he was talking about how he's been told to reserve his energy and not got chasing balls into corners/channels as he can't hurt teams and how he's focusing on specific movements rather than aimlessly running.  It's just all great and long may it continue. 

I'll say Villa 2-1 Brentford. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The Newcastle game was kinda perfect prep for this match because I think they both press high up the pitch in a similar way - if we can replicate how we beat the Newcastle press we’ll have half a chance of winning.

That said, it’s a tough place to go and in particular for us it seems on past results, probably will need a bit of luck to go our way.

• Like 1

I have a feeling Brentford will sit back and try and hit us on the break, if they press us they risk us getting behind them and running rampant. 

We tend to struggle with teams that do this. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Powehi said:

Haha maybe - but I don't think so

See loads of posts on pregame threads along the lines of "hope we f___ these___" or somesuch, when we're playing Bournemouth or someone.

Must be exhausting having all that vitriol to go around, I conserve mine for Blues and Man Utd games.

I conserve my mitriol for VT posters.  EDIT: And harmless, fluffy kittens

Edited by srsmithusa

12 hours ago, Powehi said:

Haha maybe - but I don't think so

See loads of posts on pregame threads along the lines of "hope we f___ these___" or somesuch, when we're playing Bournemouth or someone.

Must be exhausting having all that vitriol to go around, I conserve mine for Blues and Man Utd games.

As the old saying goes, "there are 92 league clubs, and I hate 91 of them".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Emi Martinez must be a VT member. Going down the tunnel after the Newcastle game, one of the videos has him saying, “7 cup finals to go.”

Way too positive for VT

Edited by Kiwivillan

From reading the thread, I'm glad people aren't getting too far ahead of themselves. This is a tricky tie away to a very efficient team. It's possibly a good time to play them as they're on their worst run of the season and hopefully it's a sign that they're already on the beach. As always, I'm confident our team will turn up and put in a good shift. I think it could be a counter-attacking afternoon, and I think being at home actually won't suit Brentford, because they can't really sit back and absorb. The fans will expect more than that. As a top half side with no relegation fears they'll be expected to act like the home side, and I can see Moreno and Buendia having a great time. I predict a fun outing and another Villa win. 1-2.

Will be interesting to see how Emery approaches this game, has he ever faced Frank before?  Hopefully he outfoxes him like he did Howe.

A quick read of the Brentford forum, most are hoping for 3 at the back.  I think that would suit us, they'd vacate the midfield to us, and Watkins will be a handful. 

Edited by duke313
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, tinker said:

I have a feeling Brentford will sit back and try and hit us on the break, if they press us they risk us getting behind them and running rampant. 

We tend to struggle with teams that do this. 

I think we've shown when we play away we're happy to just pass it around the back until the opposition come and press (See West Ham away) can see a similar thing happening here. 

Just now, PieFacE said:

I think we've shown when we play away we're happy to just pass it around the back until the opposition come and press (See West Ham away) can see a similar thing happening here. 

Hopefully their fans start to pressure them to high press, be interesting to see how it plays out. They do have Toney, give him a chance to shine and he will snatch it, you can bet on that. 😩

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Oh good.

I suppose if he likes to favour bigger teams this might not be the disaster it could be. 

If its sheer incompetence (which I think it is) then its a coin flip.

We've had a bit of a run of reasonable refs lately so no doubt due a bad one. 

14 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I suppose if he likes to favour bigger teams this might not be the disaster it could be. 

If its sheer incompetence (which I think it is) then its a coin flip.

We've had a bit of a run of reasonable refs lately so no doubt due a bad one. 

He definitely favours Spurs and they have skin in our game, especially if Newcastle do em.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

From reading the thread, I'm glad people aren't getting too far ahead of themselves. This is a tricky tie away to a very efficient team. It's possibly a good time to play them as they're on their worst run of the season and hopefully it's a sign that they're already on the beach. As always, I'm confident our team will turn up and put in a good shift. I think it could be a counter-attacking afternoon, and I think being at home actually won't suit Brentford, because they can't really sit back and absorb. The fans will expect more than that. As a top half side with no relegation fears they'll be expected to act like the home side, and I can see Moreno and Buendia having a great time. I predict a fun outing and another Villa win. 1-2.

Think the same. West Ham away we weren’t helped that the crowd couldn’t be arsed to get their team to press. I don’t think Brentford fans will be to keep watching Konsa and Mings pass it back and forth between them at the halfway line. 

Brentford vs Brighton might be a good example as De Zerbi has a lot of the same concepts as Unai. And that was a wide open game. 

• Like 1

Right, now I have allowed myself dizzy heights of expectation, I'm bringing myself back to reality. 

While I will allow myself to dream, it's still one game at a time, each game we need to win.

Brentford while recently slowing down, have throughout the season been pretty consistent, there 3 forwards have pace and power. 

It will be down to how we handle them, luckily we have a reasonably mobile back 4/5/6. 

It will also be down to how forward we can get moreno and to some extent young to force their team back.

Hopefully we can cripple that cnut mee and put him out of the game full stop. Maybe if we are lucky enough to be winning by 2 or 3 goals with 1 minute to go, bring on sanislo for watkins to break his knees ?