Pre-Match Thread Cup Final 4 of 10

TheAuthority

they'll park the bus and try to beat us with speed on the counter.  newcastle showed that trying to high pressure Emery's Villa doesn't work.   Brentford will try the opposite.  I don't think they will succeed.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

they'll park the bus and try to beat us with speed on the counter.  newcastle showed that trying to high pressure Emery's Villa doesn't work.   Brentford will try the opposite.  I don't think they will succeed.

That only works if they score. If we score its game over, they have to attack and we will play through them

Since that long unbeaten run they had, they’re now with just 1 win in their last 7, losing the last 3 on the spin. The way we’re playing, you’d have to fancy us. Still a tricky game, they impress me whenever I watch them.

Ollie Watkins, with 11 in 12, will be looking to score for a 7th away game in a row against his former club.

40 minutes ago, SecretVillaScout said:

Brentford are actually the bookies favourite to win this game. 

Brentford have had a higher xG than both of their last two opponents(Newcastle & Wolves) . They lost both games. 

To be honest they looked pretty unlucky against Wolves, there was more than a hint of good fortune about both Wolves' goals and Brentford had some good chances of their own. 

They do look a bit leggy and clearly their form isn't great, but we have a horrible record away against them and Toney and Mbeumo can cause any team problems on their day. We'll need to be at our best, but it's hard not to be optimistic about our chances in any game at the moment. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SecretVillaScout said:

Brentford have had a higher xG than both of their last two opponents(Newcastle & Wolves) . They lost both games. 

It could mean they were unlucky, but when it happens twice it could also be that they’re not very good.

The xG number just say how many goals would have been scored if the attacker is of average quality against a defence/goalkeeper of average quality. That is why Haaland have scored 32 league goals this season, while his xG is 26.

1 hour ago, SecretVillaScout said:

We were nearly 3/1 to win yesterday so fill yer boots.

Ivan Toney must be on the quiet still placing bets as how would Brentford be priced favourites given the respective forms? 

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We were nearly 3/1 to win yesterday so fill yer boots.

Ivan Toney must be on the quiet still placing bets as how would Brentford be priced favourites given the respective forms? 

Just saw this, Brentford as the favourites, bonkers really seeing our form. I'm gonna stick a cheeky tenner on us, I'll be shocked if a tired Brentford cause us any real problems, especially seeing how we just dispatched Newcastle.

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

We need too but won't be easy. Why would it be.

I always regret being confident about winning.  Thinking we'll lose every game is som much more comfortable.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Adman said:

I always regret being confident about winning.  Thinking we'll lose every game is som much more comfortable.  

It's a protection mechanism, I do it, prepare yourself for the worst so anything else is a fantastic bonus!

Therefore, we'll lose Saturday...

3 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

It could mean they were unlucky, but when it happens twice it could also be that they’re not very good.

The xG number just say how many goals would have been scored if the attacker is of average quality against a defence/goalkeeper of average quality. That is why Haaland have scored 32 league goals this season, while his xG is 26.

Close the thread - we all know xG beats actual goals hands down. Just ask Jackie Smithfield