Pre-Match Thread Cup Final 4 of 10

TheAuthority

48 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Close the thread - we all know xG beats actual goals hands down. Just ask Jackie Smithfield

A random clueless person on the internet say something stupid and you lose your marbles? Must be hard!

Does anyone know what our record is for most consecutive wins in the Premier League? I'm wondering if we maybe won more than 5 in a row in the early and/or mid 90s.

Edited by robby b
Typing error as usual ! :s

20 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

they'll park the bus and try to beat us with speed on the counter.  newcastle showed that trying to high pressure Emery's Villa doesn't work.   Brentford will try the opposite.  I don't think they will succeed.

I agree with this. Newcastle tried to play the same game (naively so) and their midfield especially were caught trying to press or drop all the way into our half. Played into our hands perfectly. Thought Howe would be smarter but when that’s your Plan A, it’s hard to change it. 

If you look at the matches where we’ve struggled in possession (West Ham away, Forest home, Leicester away), all of them refused to press beyond the halfway line and forced us to try and beat a low block. If Brentford are smart, they’ll try to do the same and use Mbuemba to slot in behind Moreno going forward.

I unfortunately haven’t watched a lot of Brentford matches so I can’t comment on them tactically but I know they’re set piece merchants and Unai will hopefully highlight this. 

• Like 1

On 15/04/2023 at 15:10, BOF said:

All I know is we'll turn up, and that's half the battle. But this one will be very tough. Make no mistake. Brentford will know exactly what's coming and they'll set up to stifle, and they've a lethal finisher up front. We need to be patient and error free. I'll take a nervy 1-0 win thank you and the European mission marches on.

No they won't 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SecretVillaScout said:

This isn't going to be easy. Brentford have only lost twice at home this season!  

Hopefully they're really on the Beach.

Most recent home game 2-1 loss vs Newcastle 

Edited by Kiwivillan

On 16/04/2023 at 11:06, rjw63 said:

Would like to smash these bastards and that rocket polisher Ivan “BetFred” Toney.

Genuine question: is there anyone these days that VTers don't consider "f**ers" "scumbags" "bastards" etc.? Club and/or fans?

Just seems like everyone these days just hates all other people involved in the Premier League. Surely Brentford are more likeable than any other team as a plucky underdog? Obviously I hope we win comfortably but I've noticed this trend over the last few seasons in particular.

EDIT: Obviously Toney as a player is definitely unlikeable.

Edited by Powehi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 15/04/2023 at 14:03, VillaChris said:

Feels a bit of a 1-1 West Ham type match to me this. Hope I'm wrong but actually only thing missing from this amazing run has been falling behind and getting something from a game and got the feeling this might happen in this game as they still have Toney and a few others who usually cause us issues.

Brentford are on the beach now pretty much so have to go with them with the right intensity from the start.

Our Rotherham away if you will

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Powehi said:

Genuine question: is there anyone these days that VTers don't consider "f**ers" "scumbags" "bastards" etc.? Club and/or fans?

Just seems like everyone these days just hates all other people involved in the Premier League. Surely Brentford are more likeable than any other team as a plucky underdog? Obviously I hope we win comfortably but I've noticed this trend over the last few seasons in particular.

EDIT: Obviously Toney as a player is definitely unlikeable.

Nah I think that's just me mate, I hate everyone 😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Nah I think that's just me mate, I hate everyone 😂

Haha maybe - but I don't think so

See loads of posts on pregame threads along the lines of "hope we f___ these___" or somesuch, when we're playing Bournemouth or someone.

Must be exhausting having all that vitriol to go around, I conserve mine for Blues and Man Utd games.

• Like 1

I really want Bournemouth to get back to being a 3rd division club. I have a irrational dislike, not of them as a club, but of them being in the prem. I'm sure looking up at them from the championship didn't help :D

Brentford as a club, yeah I get where you're coming from @Powehi, Nice club, having a rare moment in the sun, played good football in the championship for sure. Frank following on from Smith has been great to see - and Deano of course. So many reasons for a soft spot.

Then you think Toney and yeah he perhaps doesn't help himself at times and when does his ban start exactly?.....But then actually they also have Jansson and Mee. Yeah f*** these words removed! :)