Pre-Match Thread Cup Final 3 of 10

TheAuthority

I would go 4-1-4-1

Watkins

JJ           Dougie                McGinn      Buendia

Dendoncker

Moreno      Mings         Konsa         Young

Still on the small side but at least Dendoncker gives us a little bit more.  Just shows how fragile our squad is at the moment. We need to be competitive in centre mid so him and McGinn will need to be really on it 

We only win this if we are tactically sound so i would go with this to start and then when we need to chase we can bring Duran and Traore in. 

I fear this is the game where having a 37 year old at right back, playing the ball around the back and Kamara being out will catch up with us.

If we were to win this, it would really put us on track for a potential stab at Europe though and Emery will be fully aware of this.

In fairness, a draw here would be a very good result given they are in the top 3, but I think this might be one game too far for us.

1-2.

• Like 2

"Newcastle are PHYSICAL!" "Newcastle's PHYSICALITY!" "THEY'RE VERY PHYSICAL!" etc etc etc. If I had a pound for every mention of that ...

Actually, aren't they just good at defending?

They're good at scoring, too, but it's their granite-wall defense more than their sheer kineticism that sets them apart.

They're not especially tall, prone to fouls, or fast. They are good at smashing build-up play, so maybe that's where the physicality idea comes from?

I don't know, but I wonder if the physicality thing says more about what people think about Newcastle than what they're actually about on the pitch. Or maybe I've got it all wrong.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Anthony Gordon training with the u21 until end of the season 

Howe ain't messing about, fair play to him.

Ryan Fraser could've still been part of the squad as impact sub but he's been banished aswell.

They only signed Gordon in January for 40m + so that is some statement but helps when you're joint 3rd in the league.

Eliminates him as an impact sub option at least. I assume they're confident ASM and Almiron will be fit otherwise they're a bit light on attackers.

Was reading the match report of their Brentford win and one of the reporters was hinting they might change shape and match us by starting Wilson and Isak upfront together as that unsettled Brentford second half so interested how our backline would handle two out and out strikers.

30 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Newcastle has a pattern of losing when the opposition scores first and in the first half, especially if it's in the opening 15 minutes.

Maybe we should attack the Holte in the first half, although that didn't work on Saturday!

• Like 1

This is going to be a really tough game. Kinda goes without saying that Howe is doing an incredible job there. 

I also don't think the time of the game is going to help us much. If this was a 5:30 ko it would work in our favour a bit being the home team. 

Would probably take a draw but we need to go for a win. 

• Like 1

Newcastle seem to struggle away against the big sides. I cant see nothing but a Villa win here. 

Recently Lost to Man City, Liverpool recently all away. Lost the Cup Final away (Wembley) to Manchester United. 
Now up against an Aston Villa team in top form. 

• Like 1

Martinez 

Young.      Konsa.       Mings.     Moreno

Luiz.             Kamara

McGinn.                         Ramsey

Duran.             Watkins

9 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I would go 4-1-4-1

Watkins

JJ           Dougie                McGinn      Buendia

Dendoncker

Moreno      Mings         Konsa         Young

Still on the small side but at least Dendoncker gives us a little bit more.  Just shows how fragile our squad is at the moment. We need to be competitive in centre mid so him and McGinn will need to be really on it 

We only win this if we are tactically sound so i would go with this to start and then when we need to chase we can bring Duran and Traore in. 

I like experimenting.  But Unai will go as close to the same as possible.   He is most interested in players learning his system.  He won’t change for this match.  

12 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Newcastle has a pattern of losing when the opposition scores first and in the first half, especially if it's in the opening 15 minutes.

That's happened twice in the league. Once at home to Liverpool, once away to Man City, is that really a pattern?

8 hours ago, SecretVillaScout said:

Newcastle seem to struggle away against the big sides. I cant see nothing but a Villa win here. 

Recently Lost to Man City, Liverpool recently all away. Lost the Cup Final away (Wembley) to Manchester United. 
Now up against an Aston Villa team in top form. 

We've lost 3 times in the league all season, and we've only lost to Liverpool and Man City. Not sure I'd say that's 'struggling against big sides'. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1