Pre-Match Thread Cup Final 3 of 10

TheAuthority

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah I have to say how Shelvey avoided a booking early on in the game for scything one of ours from behind was a disgrace and gave him reign to do it about 20 minutes later. That's a standard booking whether in first 5 minutes or last five.

Dan Burn's another who likes to dish it out so him on an early booking would be good for us.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Who said all refs hate us? You? If a ref is shit, I'll say so.

We're missing our best player because of a stinking foul that folded his ankle.

JJ could have been injured last game. No card.

Newcastle will kick the shit out of us if the ref let's them. Joelinton just back from his two game ban sat on 12 yellows for the season.

Hate to say it but VP needs to be howling and whistling at every foul and our players need to keep cool heads. Newcastle will absolutely push the envelope “fouling” us and especially Ollie and Buendia up top. There needs to be a lot of pressure on the ref. 

• Like 1

Hoping kamaras back and Mcginn can go on the right. I’m worried about their centre backs handling Ollie, I thought felipe did a brilliant job of stopping him on Saturday. Probably should have been booked though. Wouldn’t be against Duran coming in just to give them something else to worry about up top

3 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Hoping kamaras back and Mcginn can go on the right. I’m worried about their centre backs handling Ollie, I thought felipe did a brilliant job of stopping him on Saturday. Probably should have been booked though. Wouldn’t be against Duran coming in just to give them something else to worry about up top

Duran would knock seven bells out of Burn if he played out in that wide position.

I fear Burn would be canny with him though and draw a lot of pissy fouls.

Do I care? No, no I do not.

Deploy large Jhon and Mr. Ollie up front please Unai.

11 hours ago, TRO said:

Its the amount of times he clatters, with no warning, thats the worrying bit.....they all play the man, as opposed to the ball, with releative impunity.....when a team is brow beaten, they start playing.

maybe a bit harsh, but thats the Gist of it......Since the relaxation, from officials their physicality, has flourished, and capitalised on.

Conversely, we are not exactly equipped to to beat the aggresive press.....hence my concern.

Newcastle are a bunch of thugs tbh. Last time we played them, Joelinton was basically allowed to assault Dougie with impunity. 

Professor Emery v Eddie Howe..

Surely Emery has the nous to outwit him; think it will be a tight game though. A week to work on tactics and focus will surely help us though.

Villa Park was particularly quiet first-half against Forest, the fans need to make more noise for this one!

28 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Newcastle are a bunch of thugs tbh. Last time we played them, Joelinton was basically allowed to assault Dougie with impunity. 

I was very surprised how much they are a team of the so called dark arts and how much Eddie Howe and his staff are involved in this.When you lose it always sounds like sour grapes but I’m not using that as an excuse.When the ref put up 4 minutes extra time which was unbelievable should have been at least double with all the injuries/subs mainly Toons rolling around the Newcastle bench went mad at the 4 th official.Eddie Howe is the media darling at the moment for some reason I don’t know.why.

• Like 4

We have to beat Fulham and Brentford this month - if we get anything out of these or Man Utd onto of that, it's a bonus.

That said, it's doable - I don't think we're far apart as teams at the moment and both sides are in good form - it might come down to fitness for us - we already struggle to fill a bench and we've now lost Bailey - in games, we really struggle to change things in midfield, Dendoncker and Chambers just aren't proper replacements for the likes of McGinn and Luiz.

If the first eleven are fit, healthy and have enough energy, we can make an impact down the sides - Trippier is quick and good going forwards and Dan Burn is erm...big, but neither of them are particularly good at tracking players that wander around and get at them from strange angles like Buendia, Ramsey, Moreno and Bert might do - I think that might be our best route. 

They're strong in the middle of the park and the midfield battle will be interesting - we'll need to be strong in there and compete - and if we do there's definitely something in it for us.

I reckon a blood and thunder 2-2 draw and hopefully no more injuries or suspensions.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

What's this McGinn on the right? Almiron and possibly ASM are injured so it's not like they have endless pace upfront, they started a front 3 of Joelinthon, Isak and Jacob Murphy v Brentford so far more physical than pacy.

Anthony Gordon was subbed on and then subbed off to put on an extra defender so he won't be starting v us either.

Personally I'd keep McGinn in the centre as we can't just stand off Bruno Guimaraes and allow him to dictate play centrally, he is that good for them and elevates Willock and Longstaff.

I'd say we need to get our left side locked down more as in Newcastle system Trippier is a big creative source for them out wide right.

• Like 1

Hate to say it, but I think we might get turned over in this one. Very much hope I'm wrong, but I think this might be 'the blip'.

Ash might be overrun by Joelinton. Not so worried about Isak, although he's also in form, cos I think Mings will have his number, but their wide forwards could stuff us. 

Wouldn't be the end of the world if so, though, we have so much potential, particularly after a transfer window.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, osmark86 said:

Such an odious team after their takeover. Good, but odious. We have to counter their physicality somehow to get anything out of this one I think.

I don't think we can....but would love UE to prove me wrong.

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Hate to say it, but I think we might get turned over in this one. Very much hope I'm wrong, but I think this might be 'the blip'.

Ash might be overrun by Joelinton. Not so worried about Isak, although he's also in form, cos I think Mings will have his number, but their wide forwards could stuff us. 

Wouldn't be the end of the world if so, though, we have so much potential, particularly after a transfer window.

I think we will lose it in the middle, and our full backs could struggle, to contain them, too.

a combination depending on shape of Joelinton, willock, Guimares and Longstaff....will be too much physically for us....unless UE comes up with his magic wand.

• Like 1

I’d be tempted to play Durán out wide right as he’s a right physical presence and could help at set pieces. His temperament could be an issue though as we don’t want to go down to 10 men early on.

With Trippier bombing on for them perhaps  a quick transition to Moreno in the space would be great with some early crosses for Watkins and Durán to attack. 

How we handle Joelinton, Almiron and Bruno will determine what we get out of the game I feel. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think we will lose it in the middle, and our full backs could struggle, to contain them, too.

a combination depending on shape of Joelinton, willock, Guimares and Longstaff....will be too much physically for us....unless UE comes up with his magic wand.

Yeah, I'm not discounting the possibility that Unai cones up with something bonkers that gets us a result, but I think I have more of an expectation for containment, rather than us winning. Again, hope I'm wrong. Newcastle are tough though, these days.

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

What's this McGinn on the right? Almiron and possibly ASM are injured so it's not like they have endless pace upfront, they started a front 3 of Joelinthon, Isak and Jacob Murphy v Brentford so far more physical than pacy.

Anthony Gordon was subbed on and then subbed off to put on an extra defender so he won't be starting v us either.

Personally I'd keep McGinn in the centre as we can't just stand off Bruno Guimaraes and allow him to dictate play centrally, he is that good for them and elevates Willock and Longstaff.

I'd say we need to get our left side locked down more as in Newcastle system Trippier is a big creative source for them out wide right.

How we initially set up against Chelsea. Baileys out you would imagine and not sure if we bring Traore in for this. Having Mcginn kamara and Luiz in the team would give us more control and presence in the middle. The left side will be interesting I agree. 

803F33EE-DD00-4BE3-BDD1-86E9690960A2.jpeg

4 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

I was very surprised how much they are a team of the so called dark arts and how much Eddie Howe and his staff are involved in this.When you lose it always sounds like sour grapes but I’m not using that as an excuse.When the ref put up 4 minutes extra time which was unbelievable should have been at least double with all the injuries/subs mainly Toons rolling around the Newcastle bench went mad at the 4 th official.Eddie Howe is the media darling at the moment for some reason I don’t know.why.

They have capitalised on the relaxing of the officials stance on fouls. In order to root out the cheating, of going to ground too easily, they have created another monster, physical mugging.

I don't understand how playing the man, can be deemed as a tackle, a shoulder barge is one thing, this has stretched to assault in some cases.

Newcastle play the man, not the ball far too often.....but worryingly, they are getting away with it, in the main.

They soften teams up, before going for the kill.....It will take a well prepared team physically to negate them.

Having said all that, they have bought well.