Pre-Match Thread Cup Final 3 of 10

TheAuthority

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

come on man....

I'm just saying. Would I want my club to be owned by Saudi's? No, of course not - they're a rotten bunch. But I don't see anyone in the media talking about the illegal Iraq war when an American is linked to buying a club. 

7 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

It's not about nationality, it's about a government owning a club. If some random Saudi nationals owned Newcastle I wouldn't have batted an eye. That's the difference here. If the US gov't owned a club I wouldn't be happy about it either.

That's fair. I misunderstood. 

20 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

"Newcastle are PHYSICAL!" "Newcastle's PHYSICALITY!" "THEY'RE VERY PHYSICAL!" etc etc etc. If I had a pound for every mention of that ...

Actually, aren't they just good at defending?

They're good at scoring, too, but it's their granite-wall defense more than their sheer kineticism that sets them apart.

They're not especially tall, prone to fouls, or fast. They are good at smashing build-up play, so maybe that's where the physicality idea comes from?

I don't know, but I wonder if the physicality thing says more about what people think about Newcastle than what they're actually about on the pitch. Or maybe I've got it all wrong.

Newcastle are very physical though ;)

• Haha 1

Apparently they press high and aggressively. This is exactly how we want teams to play against us. In fact, we struggle at times against teams who don't necessarily press and sit back.

It will be a fascinating match. On paper, there isn't much separating the sides. I think pound for pound, the two clubs are two of the best coached in the league and their is an argument for both perhaps overachieving a little atm. That said, two good teams in form with big fanbases makes for a fascinating affair. Just wish it was at 5.30 rather than 12.30. Atmosphere won't be as good. 

• Like 2

This is going to be the game that lets us know how good we actually are. They play high and aggressively and that’s exactly the type of team we want to play against. Emi and our back 4 need to be on top form or we’ll get punished by them. I’m not sure if having Ollie up top alone is going to be enough to be honest. It might be worth having Mcginn on the left and JJ on the right. Mcginn to disrupt trippier and support Moreno and JJ to trouble big Dan Burn. Kamara and Luiz in the middle would be ideal, dendonker and chambers have been fine when needed but they don’t fill me with confidence. I think a big call will be weather Buendia starts or not, I’m a big fan of his but I don’t know if it’s the right kind of game for him. 

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Apparently they press high and aggressively. This is exactly how we want teams to play against us. In fact, we struggle at times against teams who don't necessarily press and sit back.

It will be a fascinating match. On paper, there isn't much separating the sides. I think pound for pound, the two clubs are two of the best coached in the league and their is an argument for both perhaps overachieving a little atm. That said, two good teams in form with big fanbases makes for a fascinating affair. Just wish it was at 5.30 rather than 12.30. Atmosphere won't be as good. 

This could be where the games won or lost, does Howe continue to play how they have been or does he look at how other managers have sat back and forced us to play slightly differently. Cooper had some success at the weekend by not pressing the back 4 maybe Howe asks the same. 
The away fans will be up for it anyway I hope our fans drown them out. 

1 hour ago, wict01 said:

Nowhere near the record for draws I'd say - we got 17 (SEVENTEEN!) under McLeish which is what kept us up that season as we only won 7! 

For this one, I probably would take a draw tbh as it's the biggest test of our European credentials so far. A positive result here and I think we can start to dream. 

17! that was a depressing season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

It's not about nationality, it's about a government owning a club. If some random Saudi nationals owned Newcastle I wouldn't have batted an eye. That's the difference here. If the US gov't owned a club I wouldn't be happy about it either.

At first I thought I agreed with all your post. But on reflection, in contrast with the Saudi Crown Prince effectively owning Newcastle (I think Stavely is lying in saying that he doesn't), if some Saudi person who isn't a member of the Saudi government/royal family tried to buy Villa I think I'd still be against that... as part of a boycott of Saudi Arabia because of its severe and pervasive human rights abuse, especially misogyinistic abuse. For example, an unmarried woman being stoned to death after being seen on a date with a man, or a married woman being stoned to death because of being seen alone with an other man, just two of many despicable examples.

Amnesty International has been promoting boycotts against Saudi Arabia for many years, since I was a kid, and I think rightfully so. I guess the only way I might be reluctantly ok-ish with a non-government/royal family Saudi buying Aston Villa in the future is if verbally and in writing they publicly and clearly denounced their regime and all the awful abuse of women and girls that goes on in their country.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wict01 said:

Nowhere near the record for draws I'd say - we got 17 (SEVENTEEN!) under McLeish which is what kept us up that season as we only won 7! 

For this one, I probably would take a draw tbh as it's the biggest test of our European credentials so far. A positive result here and I think we can start to dream. 

McLeish would've taken 38 nil-nil draws at the start if the season if offered. Whether or not that would've actually been sufficient to avoid relegation is irrelevant.

Emery v Howe. Who is the better coach?

I truly think being objective Villa have the better team yet they have galvanised themselves; likely because all staff and players are astronomical incentives and bonuses.

Villa still a work in progress with a small squad and currently a few injuries. The Barcodes have managed to implement a philosophy and build on it longer which will help them.

I'd hope Cash is back as Young is slowing down and playing way too much of late although he has been fantastic.

Likewise Kamara, really needed back to solidify the midfield allowing Luiz to play more naturally.

Moreno v Trippier looks a key battle, I think our guy has the legs on their RB and we will target him.

6 hours ago, zab6359 said:

This game is huge, if we can take the 3 points and Brighton get nothing at Chelsea it would really hurt Brighton's hopes of Europe.

Yep, they'd be four points behind us so would be real pressure on them to win one of their games in hand otherwise we have potential to start pulling away from them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I truly think being objective Villa have the better team 

I think we have the better "footballers" but they have the physicality (has that been mentioned yet?! 🫣)

A combined team would be hard to do, but here's mine. 

Martinez.

Trippier.     Schar.   Botman.     Moreno.

Guimaraes.  Kamara. 

Joelinton.                     McGinn.  

Watkins.      Wilson.  

Not much between many of the players though! 

I'd take a point. UTV

• Like 1