Pre-Match Thread Cup Final 3 of 10

TheAuthority

Just now, Villa87 said:

Here we go Newcastle fans to put our wrongs to right!

They came across a bit more salty than I meant. I am nursing a Easter Weekend hangover though, forgive me.

You lot must be cockahoop with Emery. I said he'd be a good appointment, but Hells Teeth he's been outstanding for you! 2 points per game since he took charge? That's Champions League form. You've got a tough run-in, but I wouldn't bet against you getting into Europe, which is some going given what the table looked like when he took over. What were you, 16th when he took charge?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

What I fail to get is why opposing fans sign up to a rival team's forum?

I barely have time to post on VT!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Views from outside the echo chamber, isn't it?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheFish said:

We've lost 3 times in the league all season, and we've only lost to Liverpool and Man City. Not sure I'd say that's 'struggling against big sides'. 

That Forest match was a massive point in your season. Another middling draw against a bottom 6/7 team (given you draw with all of Palace, West Ham and Bournemouth in run up to the cup final) and then that Forest defender sticks his hand up in the last minute and Isak slots the penalty in and now you've won five straight and pretty comfortable in the top 4.

Bruno Guimaraes makes everything tick for you guys so interested he was saying he was playing through the pain barrier. Think him getting injured is only way you miss you on top 4 now.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

That Forest match was a massive point in your season. Another middling draw against a bottom 6/7 team (given you draw with all of Palace, West Ham and Bournemouth in run up to the cup final) and then that Forest defender sticks his hand up in the last minute and Isak slots the penalty in and now you've won five straight and pretty comfortable in the top 4.

Bruno Guimaraes makes everything tick for you guys so interested he was saying he was playing through the pain barrier. Think him getting injured is only way you miss you on top 4 now.

That Forest game was infuriating, the officials were atrocious throughout. How Ayew and Shelvey stayed on the pitch after all their fouls is a mystery. Shelvey had three bookable offences in the first 10 minutes. And the disallowed goal for Anderson... it still hasn't been explained as to how it could possibly be considered offside? Shame for the kid because it would have been his first senior goal for us, and would have been the difference maker until their CB had a brain fart.

Those draws were when we were without Isak and more importantly without Bruno. Like you say, he makes us tick. Now that we have both of them fit for the run-in, I'd fancy us to keep the form going and do enough for Champions League, which is mad when you think about where we were before the take over. I know we've spent money, but we've spent it well, haven't gone off and thrown £100m on a 'name', our big expenditure has been on players with bags of potential.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'd love it if both Villa and Newcastle finished in the top 4/6. 
Quite frankly, anything to upset the apple cart and monopoly the top 6 clubs have had all these years. 

Villa fans should want other clubs to break the mould as they should us.

Id be quite happy if one of us finished top 4/6 and the other suffered a monumental collapse!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Quite frankly, anything to upset the apple cart and monopoly the top 6 clubs have had all these years. 

Thing is, with Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs being in total flux there are three spots in the top 6 that should be attainable for the next couple of seasons, right? Brighton are sniffing around and if they can keep their best players they could be in a good place to compete as well. 

If you have a good end to the season I'm sure Emery will not only get you into Europe, but compete for honours there. 

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Id be quite happy if one of us finished top 4/6 and the other suffered a monumental collapse!

Why wish such pain on your own club?

I'd love for practically any other club to take Newcastle's position tbh. They've cemented themselves as the most despicable club in football under the new regime. I'd hate to be a Newcastle fan right now, and if I was I'd probably give up on football if I'm being honest.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, SecretVillaScout said:

Newcastle have only won 1 more game then us this season. They've drawn 11 times! I wonder if this is a PL record for draws. 
They will certainly will be coming to Villa Park to try and draw this game. I expect 11 men behind the ball job. 

Some scout you are, I can't imagine you've watched any of our games if this is how you predict we'll play. We do not play 11 men behind the ball, not even at the Emirates or the Etihad.

It's high press, high energy, looking for overloads, using the half spaces. The days of sitting deep and hoping to hang on are long gone. 

5 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Some scout you are, I can't imagine you've watched any of our games if this is how you predict we'll play. We do not play 11 men behind the ball, not even at the Emirates or the Etihad.

It's high press, high energy, looking for overloads, using the half spaces. The days of sitting deep and hoping to hang on are long gone. 

Ignore him.

44 minutes ago, SecretVillaScout said:

Newcastle have only won 1 more game then us this season. They've drawn 11 times! I wonder if this is a PL record for draws. 
They will certainly will be coming to Villa Park to try and draw this game. I expect 11 men behind the ball job. 

Nowhere near the record for draws I'd say - we got 17 (SEVENTEEN!) under McLeish which is what kept us up that season as we only won 7! 

For this one, I probably would take a draw tbh as it's the biggest test of our European credentials so far. A positive result here and I think we can start to dream. 

• Shocked 2