Pre-Match Thread Cup Final 3 of 10

TheAuthority

On the match itself, it's going to be a fascinating game.

Both teams score goals, but both also don't hand out many tonkings at all.  It feels like the midfield battle will be key and I do worry about how... what's that word... physical the Saudis are in the middle of the park.

Outside of the obvious ownership issues, it's quite refreshing having this fixture as a top 6 clash.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

Will be a good litmus test to see if we are not just punching above our weight.

They finished 4 points ahead of us last season, had a good season this time around and are 9 points ahead of us. Beating them at home is hardly punching above our weight, it's where we should be.

Beating Chelsea away is punching above our weight. 

After playing mainly the bottom 9 I think now we will see how much improvement the team has made. Newcastle, Brentford (A), Fulham and Man Utd (A) are tough fixtures, apart from Fulham I guess now they are on the beach with Mitrovic banned. 

Could do with Kamara being back fit for this but if not then I can see Dendonker coming in and Mcginn going back out wide since Bailey looks like his gonna be out injured for a while. Not sure a Luiz/Mcginn midfield is gonna cut it against Newcastle.

Not feeling confident about this game tbh, on one hand it’s Newcastles third away game in a row, away games can take their toll in the Premier League and it’s an early kick off but they are in really good form and can rely on 2 strikers who can score goals for them right now. Guess they will start Isak and bring on Wilson if they need to change the game. With Bailey injured, I think we will have Traoré and Duran as our attacking options? Just think the difference will be they have a second proven striker to bring on. 

Villa to take the lead and lose narrowly 1-2. 

20 minutes ago, tinker said:

They finished 4 points ahead of us last season, had a good season this time around and are 9 points ahead of us. Beating them at home is hardly punching above our weight, it's where we should be.

Beating Chelsea away is punching above our weight. 

Chelsea are having their worst season since they became rich, so not really.

Newcastle have only lost 3 games this season, twice to Liverpool and once to City, so I'd say if we can get a result against them, it would be a pretty good level of where we are at and heading.

If, and it’s a big IF with the great form that they are in this season, we beat them then I hope we do a trolling team photo in the changing room afterwards. That’ll really boil the geordie’s p***! 😂

I love it that they hate us, I was there when they got relegated in 2009, and I laughed like everyone else did. Because of course had the shoe been on the other foot, they wouldn’t have mocked us or given us ANY s*** at St James’ Park about it right? Big babies, it’s football, get over it!

I’d love a win, I’ll be more than happy with a draw though as Eddie Howe has transformed them into a very good side.

3 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

Having Kamara back and playing McGinn further up we stand a chance, otherwise we lose this one. The Balance of our midfield is all wrong without a true DM 

You just know if Kamara is declared fit and starts, he'll be un then end of a flying tackle from Joelinton or some other, which will likely go unpunished.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Zero7 said:

Having Kamara back and playing McGinn further up we stand a chance, otherwise we lose this one. The Balance of our midfield is all wrong without a true DM 

Agree with this, cannot afford to have bailey in the starting 11 for this 

• Like 1

Reckon Newcastle will press our back 4, leaving space behind. We have to take our chances while they over commit and force them back. If we can get a goal ahead then they will have to push forward even more, really excited about this game, Emery V''s Howe, fascinating.

aston-villa-fans-getting-weird-about-newcastle-united-you-knew-you-could-rely-on-them

You always get a laugh with Aston Villa fans. Their weirdness when it comes to Newcastle United is bizarre.........

.....Aston Villa fans looking forward to Saturday’s visit of Newcastle United, commenting via their Villa Talk forum:

A whole page of us bizarre weirdos there. 😜

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, TheFish said:

Just curious about your statement that VIlla have the better side. What would your combined 11 be?

I'll give it a go, although it's difficult because we've got players that are at similar levels in some positions and I think our own bias's will naturally kick in.

---------------------------------Martinez---------------------------------

Trippier--------Botman------------Mings-------------Moreno

-----------------------Luiz--------------Kamara------------------------

----------McGinn------------------------------Guimaraes-----------

-----------------------Isak-----------Watkins---------------------------

(I've stuck with our shape).

@TheFish what would yours be?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wedge said:

[snip]

...so I've no idea how these entitled, obnoxious, arrogant Newcastle fans I see (mainly online it must be said)...

To be fair, online often brings out the worst people, and the worst in good people. That's not just true of Newcastle, or of football, or of sport. I'm sure that some of our supporters will grow obnoxious if we continue to succeed.

Unsure if anyone else is the same here. Normally with Villa games I'm not nervous about the result until I'm actually at VP. However for this I've been a bag of nerves all week. I normally only get like this for semi finals/finals/big England matches. Dread to think I'll be like in the Doug Ellis on Saturday!

9 hours ago, TheFish said:

That's fair and were it any other club owned by the Saudis, I'd wholeheartedly agree. 

My problem is not primarily that Newcastle is Saudi-owned. I have the same problem with Man City, and with PSG, and, for that matter, Real Madrid (which rose to prominence as Franco's favorite and avoided bankruptcy about 25 years ago because of shady land deals with state backing). I don't like the idea of a club with state influence behind it.

In the end, sport is entertainment. A league where the same teams win all the time is no fun. I chose to follow English football back in 1992 because it supposedly wasn't like Italy or Spain or Germany where the leagues were dominated by a few teams. England was supposed to be far more competitive. The Liverpool dominance of the 1970s and 1980s was supposed to have been an aberration. Unfortunately, that was followed by a long Man U spell of dominance, and now we are perhaps in the early stages of a Man City one. (Though the PL is still more competitive than most continental leagues.)

At least Liverpool and Man U achieved their dominance through good decisions and superior management. Man City has risen on its ability to blow away the field with money. Not to say that decision-making doesn't matter: They've done better with Guardiola than before, and American sport is full of examples of rich clubs wasting their money on poor decisions. But you have to wonder if they outlasted Liverpool last year simply because they could afford more world class players on the bench, enabling them to rotate and rest players without a dip in quality. The same may happen with Arsenal this year.

Furthermore, if Man City manages to avoid FFP punishment again, you have to wonder if state influence behind the scenes is enabling them to break rules that other clubs can't.

A league where only Man City and Newcastle can compete with oil money and behind-the-scenes influence, while those of us with mere billionaires as owners never have a chance, would be like the Spanish League...boring. I don't want to see the PL go there.

To be fair, I don't see where Newcastle's rise so far has been because of money. Sure, you've spent, but not like City has. Your rise has been fueled largely by Howe and superior management...so far.

• Like 1

Since promotion we’ve won this fixture 2-0 every time. Different proposition now. They have a solid keeper, excellent defence, lots of energy and bite in midfield, and decent forwards they can rotate or play together. We really could have done with Cash, Kamara & Coutinho being available. Think we’ll struggle with their intensity if im being honest but you just cant write us off atm. Emery will be looking for a big statement performance here, the crowd need to play their part too. Its exciting having something to play for at the right end of the table at this stage of the season for once. A win would be unbelievable, when did we last win 5 on the bounce in the PL?

They say dont bet on the early kick off, so ill lump on Newcastle here just to try and swing it our way 🙂

29 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Since promotion we’ve won this fixture 2-0 every time. Different proposition now. They have a solid keeper, excellent defence, lots of energy and bite in midfield, and decent forwards they can rotate or play together. We really could have done with Cash, Kamara & Coutinho being available. Think we’ll struggle with their intensity if im being honest but you just cant write us off atm. Emery will be looking for a big statement performance here, the crowd need to play their part too. Its exciting having something to play for at the right end of the table at this stage of the season for once. A win would be unbelievable, when did we last win 5 on the bounce in the PL?

They say dont bet on the early kick off, so ill lump on Newcastle here just to try and swing it our way 🙂

It was easy the last 3 times because it was Smith Vs Bruce. He just had his number since the Brentford days