Pre-Match Thread Cup Final 3 of 10

TheAuthority

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

I agree and it's so damn sad to see what it's doing to this beautiful game. It's bad enough that games are basically decided in board rooms these days, but that those board rooms consist of nation states (some with human rights violations) just makes it all the more pointless. What are we really rooting for? Whoever has the biggest purse?

A lot of Newcastle fans were really done dirty imo, but I guess the success you'll inevitably get will wash away the salt. That is if you're willing to look past the catalyst.

That's unfortunately what will happen. Sure, some fans of other clubs will continue to rail against us on Social Media and every time the murderous owners do some murdering we'll be mentioned in the articles that follow. But as with Man City and PSG, that anger, that sense of injustice will lessen in volume and frequency. I've 2 close friends who quietly walked away from the club when the new owners came in, they had conviction that I don't. One of them has quietly come back because he missed the away days, he missed the beers before and after, he missed the train journeys, he missed the match day mates and he missed the football. 

1 minute ago, VILLAMARV said:

It's all good you say what you wanna say and live how you wanna live. no worries. And we can all handle swears n that.

just thought it was a great self-own tbh

Sorry, I'm confused, what's terrible about that lad's analysis and what's up with the pattern I derived?

Should be a good game, nice to measure ourselves against them as they seem to have improved at a higher rate than us but I suppose that's to do with Gerrard and his attempt to fucX us up for 9 months.

We are only 9 points behind them, 6 if we can beat them,  after such a crap start from us and a good start from them is quite incredible. 

Had a little read of their forum, its quite an eye opener, seem to have more than their fair share of knuckle draggers ( we have at least 1) promising to rain hell on Aston, 3 page match thread , ain't that impressive. An over reliance on Brummie Barry from  some German program that had a leading cast of Newcastle residents showing their higher intellectual capacity while pissing it up and living in a shed. 😉

Reckon a draws about right from this, I hope they get top 4 at the expense of the established , big clubs but want us to get top 6 (3 points would be very nice) 

Next season I hope we will be up there with them. Emery seems to have us on course, has Howe hit his ceiling? 

2-2

Awful lot of vitriol on that Newcastle page, Christ. We've been an irrelevance in the premier league era? At least we've won a couple of trophies, Newcastle's defining moment was blowing a 12 point lead in a title race. 

The faux rivalry between the sets of fans is utterly boring and I find it bizarre that people can still be upset over a bed sheet from 14 years ago. 

Think we might fall short here. Their power and physicality will likely be the difference. Hopeful that Emery masterminds another victory. Howe done an amazing job, but he isn’t even close to what Emery has achieved in his career. 

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

Was just pointing out youre using terrible analysis here and then going back to your other site and telling everyone about how at that site people use terrible analysis.

Genuinely not trying to be contrary, but I'm just wondering why you think that analysis is terrible?

10 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

The Fish comes in apparently relative peace whilst calling us all (boring) words removed behind our backs.

200.gif

Wounded.

Some of you are and some of the 'analysis' on here was genuinely terrible. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Should be a good game, nice to measure ourselves against them as they seem to have improved at a higher rate than us but I suppose that's to do with Gerrard and his attempt to fucX us up for 9 months.

We are only 9 points behind them, 6 if we can beat them,  after such a crap start from us and a good start from them is quite incredible. 

Had a little read of their forum, its quite an eye opener, seem to have more than their fair share of knuckle draggers ( we have at least 1) promising to rain hell on Aston, 3 page match thread , ain't that impressive. An over reliance on Brummie Barry from  some German program that had a leading cast of Newcastle residents showing their higher intellectual capacity while pissing it up and living in a shed. 😉

Reckon a draws about right from this, I hope they get top 4 at the expense of the established , big clubs but want us to get top 6 (3 points would be very nice) 

Next season I hope we will be up there with them. Emery seems to have us on course, has Howe hit his ceiling? 

2-2

Will be a good litmus test to see if we are not just punching above our weight.

2 hours ago, TheFish said:

That's unfortunately what will happen. Sure, some fans of other clubs will continue to rail against us on Social Media and every time the murderous owners do some murdering we'll be mentioned in the articles that follow. But as with Man City and PSG, that anger, that sense of injustice will lessen in volume and frequency. I've 2 close friends who quietly walked away from the club when the new owners came in, they had conviction that I don't. One of them has quietly come back because he missed the away days, he missed the beers before and after, he missed the train journeys, he missed the match day mates and he missed the football. 

Possibly. A lot of fans are still pissed off about Man City even after 15 years, so not sure I'd count on it. But it's true, people move on and forget and the assholes get to continue doing what they do. Late stage capitalism blues plays on and on.

I honestly get your friends, I'd be heartbroken as a fan. Ofc he misses the football, the match day mates etc. But he could always start supporting Sunderland instead ;)

Edited by osmark86

30 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Genuinely not trying to be contrary, but I'm just wondering why you think that analysis is terrible?

Hey I'm not a fan of XG what can I say. I wouldn't have thought we need to take over a fun thread any more than we have or veer away from good bantz and all that but I think the polarising views about the usefulness of stats and XG in particular are probably covered in the responses on that twitter feed.

No worries.

Just pot/kettle. Irony etc.

30 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Some of you are and some of the 'analysis' on here was genuinely terrible. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4722r3q33tqmehdvwi90

11 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Possibly. A lot of fans are still pissed off about Man City even after 15 years, so not sure I'd count on it. But it's true, people move on and forget and the assholes get to continue doing what they do. Late stage capitalism blues plays on and on.

I honestly get your friends, I'd be heartbroken as a fan. Ofc he misses the football, the match day mates etc. But he could always start supporting Sunderland instead ;)

Christ, that's a fate worse than death. 

One thing I'm aware of is how jaded some Man City fans have become. I'm sure if the Saudis continue to propel us up the league and we end up winning as often as Man City have, there'll be a slew of new-er fans bemoaning only beating Bournemouth 1-0. But me, and the longer-serving fans will enjoy the ride and celebrate any success with the kind of joy we've not seen at SJP since Robson and Keegan before him (when we won nowt). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Christ, that's a fate worse than death. 

lol I know I was being sarcastic XD

4 minutes ago, TheFish said:

One thing I'm aware of is how jaded some Man City fans have become. I'm sure if the Saudis continue to propel us up the league and we end up winning as often as Man City have, there'll be a slew of new-er fans bemoaning only beating Bournemouth 1-0. But me, and the longer-serving fans will enjoy the ride and celebrate any success with the kind of joy we've not seen at SJP since Robson and Keegan before him (when we won nowt). 

Many Man City fans also want their victories to be legitimized, but fans of other clubs generally just shrug their shoulders whenever they win. After all, they've been cooking books to get where they are so why should we view their success as anything other than bought?

I think that any success Newcastle has will be viewed by other fans in the same way. It won't be respected and I think you'll have to deal with that. I'm sure most Newcastle fans won't really care though.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SecretVillaScout said:

I can see Newcastle going to a back 7 in this game and just trying to lump the ball up to Isak. Trust me they're coming for the draw. 

Villa to win 1-0 is my prediction. 

Bertie last minute wonder goal incoming.

For the avoidance of doubt, and so that 'TheFish' can relay this back to his colleagues on the Newcastle forum he posts on, this is my two pennies worth:

What's always driven me nuts about Newcastle even pre-Saudi takeover is perhaps not the fault of any NUFC supporter or player themselves totally, it's more the sickening media fawning over them, implying that somehow 'it means more up there' - because the fans take their shirts off in the stands I presume -  (the definition of 'it' remains incredibly vague!) and to me since the takeover by the murdering Saudis (despite one of the reasons many of the Newcastle fans were against Mike Ashley was apparently because of the way he treated staff at Sports Direct for example yet were rushing to affix tea-towels to their heads and wave Saudi flags - ironically a huge insult not only to Saudi people but to Muslims in general especially considering the obligatory can of Newcastle Brown Ale or Carling planted firmly in the hands of said tea-towel wearing Geordie) the majority of Newcastle fans I see online (again I admit this probably not reflective of the entire fanbase) have become so arrogant and obnoxious despite the fact the club hasn't won anything since the 50s/60s! Don't portray to have wanted Ashley out because of the way his company supposedly treated some staff members then run to buy tea-towels when the Saudis buy the club from him, human rights concerns from the fans went right out of the window then! It just proves that because the club is likely to be more successful now that is all that seemingly matters and the fans will accept any regime or ownership and effectively sell out the club's principles (the Saudi-flag coloured away kit is nauseating and personally I'd rather Villa play non-league than have that incorporated into our away kit) as long as the men's senior team is winning football matches on the pitch.

The sickening and fawning media coverage surrounding Newcastle since the Saudi takeover has increased to unbearable levels, the reaction to the frankly limp League Cup final performance against Man United being a prime example of this, tweets from Sky Sports stating 'this is just the beginning' etc surely have never been seen before with regards to the League Cup runners up and for a club who hasn't won a major trophy since when, 1959? For a so-called 'massive' club as Sky Sports have told us for years and years (big crowds yes but it's a one-club large city!) this is absolutely embarrassing to have gone this long without winning a major trophy, so I've no idea how these entitled, obnoxious, arrogant Newcastle fans I see (mainly online it must be said) that act as if they're going for La Decima in Champions League trophies have the nerve to have this mindset!

I must state - please don't think I am tarring all Newcastle fans with this brush just as you cannot generalise any large group of human beings, Newcastle is a cracking city and I've loved visiting St James's Park every time I've been, it is a magnificent stadium right bang in the city centre and Geordies I've met at games or on nights out up there have been absolutely bang on - and I'm sure there are plenty of decent, measured fans of the club that I think if success does come under these owners then fair play they deserve it and in addition I'm sure there are many that have wrangled with their conscious regarding selling the club's soul to a murderous and corrupt regime, I just don't ever seem to come across any of these online!

As for on the pitch and to Saturday, the job Eddie Howe has done since taking over has been superb, a manager I've always admired and rated and I've no doubt he'll have a great career with NUFC, and I do really think they'll beat us on Saturday unfortunately!

• Like 1