Pre-Match Thread Cup Final 3 of 10

TheAuthority

On 09/04/2023 at 09:58, fightoffyour said:

These lot are shite, their best player is Callum **** Wilson for **** sake. A guy who based his career on a movie about soccer, whatever that is.

That said, they’ve got hundreds of millions channeled into the guys running the officiating, as has been proven throughout the entire season with dubious decisions in their favour week after week, so this will be very tough.

That said that said, we still have more than enough to overcome any number of bribed referees, any number of bare beer bellies, and any number of their players getting assassinated on the goal line or fighting with one another.

I predict yet another sob on the Tyne. There aren’t enough KFCs in the world to supply all the chicken that Gazza will need.

You're famous in Newcastle

https://www.toontastic.net/board/topic/43636-unai-nee-baals-emerys-beige-renaissance-vs-eddie-baals-in-a-wheelbarrow-howes-unstoppable-lunchtime-mags/?do=findComment&comment=1782837

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, TheFish said:

That's happened twice in the league. Once at home to Liverpool, once away to Man City, is that really a pattern?

Let me reword that:  "Newcastle has [LOST TWICE ] when the opposition scores first and in the first half, especially if it's in the opening 15 minutes." [AND IT PROBABLY ISN'T A PATTERN.]

On 08/04/2023 at 17:58, fightoffyour said:

These lot are shite, their best player is Callum **** Wilson for **** sake. A guy who based his career on a movie about soccer, whatever that is.

Finally, some sane talk. Damn straight. Shit club from top to bottom. Go at Joelinton hard, and he gets confused and misses his passes. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'd love it if both Villa and Newcastle finished in the top 4/6. 
Quite frankly, anything to upset the apple cart and monopoly the top 6 clubs have had all these years. 

Villa fans should want other clubs to break the mould as they should us.

14 hours ago, TheFish said:

Thing is, with Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs being in total flux there are three spots in the top 6 that should be attainable for the next couple of seasons, right? Brighton are sniffing around and if they can keep their best players they could be in a good place to compete as well. 

I agree that I'd like to see the monopoly broken...but I'd rather that it be Villa and Brighton than Villa and Newcastle because Newcastle is a state-backed club.

• Like 3

I can't remember who originally posted this...

image.thumb.jpeg.3d75329acd88b41de40bfd2005d4a99e.jpeg

...but Newcastle are a more direct team than any of the "Sky 6," so this will be a different sort of challenge than other top teams we've beaten (Spurs/Man U/Chelsea). That said, so are Fulham and Brentford, so this match will set the pattern for the next few matches. If we can deal with Newcastle, we should be able to handle those two.

On 10/04/2023 at 20:42, alreadyexists said:

Just got a ticket! So buzzing to be going. It’s my first game for a while because of money/kids/life in general… got a seat in the lower holte so will sing my heart out.

I’m going on my own which will be a bit weird… but I’m sure it’ll be fine!! 

I'm the same, being in the ground on your own is strange, but I've never had any dramas soon get chatting to people and we all share the same passion! tend to be very short notice for my trips back to the UK. glad I purchased the Villa membership at least I can get a match ticket.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TomC said:

I agree that I'd like to see the monopoly broken...but I'd rather that it be Villa and Brighton than Villa and Newcastle because Newcastle is a state-backed club.

I don't want Villa sharing the top spots with anyone. If we could fill in all six, I'd be happy. 

Toughest game we've had since the Man City / Arsenal week. Don't think they have the talent of those two, but very well drilled and they're not 3rd for nothing. That said, we've beaten similar opposition since Emery arrived, so if we're on it we could get three points. Would happily take a draw though.

Wish Isak was still injured tbh, though CW loves to score against us. A win here would be a great result.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Brilliant! Reeled in a couple of shopping trolleys too.

Edited by fightoffyour

15 hours ago, robby b said:

At first I thought I agreed with all your post. But on reflection, in contrast with the Saudi Crown Prince effectively owning Newcastle (I think Stavely is lying in saying that he doesn't), if some Saudi person who isn't a member of the Saudi government/royal family tried to buy Villa I think I'd still be against that... as part of a boycott of Saudi Arabia because of its severe and pervasive human rights abuse, especially misogyinistic abuse. For example, an unmarried woman being stoned to death after being seen on a date with a man, or a married woman being stoned to death because of being seen alone with an other man, just two of many despicable examples.

Amnesty International has been promoting boycotts against Saudi Arabia for many years, since I was a kid, and I think rightfully so. I guess the only way I might be reluctantly ok-ish with a non-government/royal family Saudi buying Aston Villa in the future is if verbally and in writing they publicly and clearly denounced their regime and all the awful abuse of women and girls that goes on in their country.

I agree, it's a terrible country imo, but I'm not going to put that blame on nationals. The government in that region is responsible for all of these henious actions and abuses imo. That doesn't mean that any old non-official Saudi owner would be a good one. Anyone with blood on their hands is an awful owner and worthy of boycotting. I do agree with you though that having verbally denounced the regime feels like a bare minimum even for me.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Emery v Howe. Who is the better coach?

I truly think being objective Villa have the better team yet they have galvanised themselves; likely because all staff and players are astronomical incentives and bonuses.

Villa still a work in progress with a small squad and currently a few injuries. The Barcodes have managed to implement a philosophy and build on it longer which will help them.

I'd hope Cash is back as Young is slowing down and playing way too much of late although he has been fantastic.

Likewise Kamara, really needed back to solidify the midfield allowing Luiz to play more naturally.

Moreno v Trippier looks a key battle, I think our guy has the legs on their RB and we will target him.

I think Emery has bags of experience and a ton of honours, but Howe is still young and has shown all the things you want from a manager; tactical nous, man management, improves players, the right balance of emotion and control. Side by side you'd need only look at Emery's long list of successes to say he's a very very good coach, but Howe will have a long career ahead of him.

Just curious about your statement that VIlla have the better side. What would your combined 11 be?

5 hours ago, TomC said:

That's fair and were it any other club owned by the Saudis, I'd wholeheartedly agree. 

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'll be honest, I don't understand that graph. What am I supposed to be seeing?

Blue line is your actual goal difference, red line your Expected Goal Difference (xGD). The graph shows that you're scoring more and conceding less than you'd expect given the chances you've created/conceded. The second tweet in that thread shows that since Jan 1 you've scored 6 more than you'd expect and conceded 6 fewer than you'd expect on average.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheFish said:

That's fair and were it any other club owned by the Saudis, I'd wholeheartedly agree. 

It's just such a shame because I honestly used to kind of like Newcastle before this takeover. A club with passionate fans and some levels of success outside the sky 6. Right now all of that just feels tainted to me and it must be so conflicting being a fan right now. I don't know how you see past it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

It's just such a shame because I honestly used to kind of like Newcastle before this takeover. A club with passionate fans and some levels of success outside the sky 6. Right now all of that just feels tainted to me and it must be so conflicting being a fan right now. I don't know how you see past it.

A rarity among your fanbase. I totally understand it from a moral, ethical, competitive stand point. It's wrong that states can own a community institution like a football club, it's abhorrent that a state that has committed and continues to commit atrocities are welcomed into the game, it's uncomfortable that that amount of money suddenly floods a club that was a midtable nothingness of a club to make it suddenly a Champions League competitor. 

But that's kind of the Premier League now, isn't it? Late stage capitalism where everything is for sale, and sportswashing, and customers. If Qatar give up on Man Utd and decide they want to buy Wolves, those Wolves fans that derided us for not blocking the takeover (as if we could) will be cockahoop at the thought of superstar players and Champions League football. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VILLAMARV said:

Someone on that bad eye aids site (who happens to call himself the fish on there) suggested that words removeds on this site are using terrible analysis to derive patterns.

Imagine!

I did. And I stand by it. The words we use on there are a little more salty than those accepted on here. 

2 minutes ago, TheFish said:

A rarity among your fanbase. I totally understand it from a moral, ethical, competitive stand point. It's wrong that states can own a community institution like a football club, it's abhorrent that a state that has committed and continues to commit atrocities are welcomed into the game, it's uncomfortable that that amount of money suddenly floods a club that was a midtable nothingness of a club to make it suddenly a Champions League competitor. 

But that's kind of the Premier League now, isn't it? Late stage capitalism where everything is for sale, and sportswashing, and customers. If Qatar give up on Man Utd and decide they want to buy Wolves, those Wolves fans that derided us for not blocking the takeover (as if we could) will be cockahoop at the thought of superstar players and Champions League football. 

I agree and it's so damn sad to see what it's doing to this beautiful game. It's bad enough that games are basically decided in board rooms these days, but that those board rooms consist of nation states (some with human rights violations) just makes it all the more pointless. What are we really rooting for? Whoever has the biggest purse?

A lot of Newcastle fans were really done dirty imo, but I guess the success you'll inevitably get will wash away the salt. That is if you're willing to look past the catalyst.

1 minute ago, TheFish said:

I did. And I stand by it. The words we use on there are a little more salty than those accepted on here. 

It's all good you say what you wanna say and live how you wanna live. no worries. And we can all handle swears n that.

just thought it was a great self-own tbh

11 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Someone on that bad eye aids site (who happens to call himself the fish on there) suggested that words removeds on this site are using terrible analysis to derive patterns.

Imagine!

34 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Blue line is your actual goal difference, red line your Expected Goal Difference (xGD). The graph shows that you're scoring more and conceding less than you'd expect given the chances you've created/conceded. The second tweet in that thread shows that since Jan 1 you've scored 6 more than you'd expect and conceded 6 fewer than you'd expect on average.