• Ramsey (Coutinho 62)
    • Dendoncker (Luiz 67)
    • Bailey (Buendía 67)
    • Digne (Moreno 78)
    • Durán (Watkins 78)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/02/23 at 23:59

Not sure if it was the game plan but we stood off them too much today, they were able to hold onto the ball and dance through us far too easily, that was our biggest failing today.

Overall we played ok but nobody was great really, Arsenal just play with more confidence and without the mental baggage.

Struggling to see where the next 3 points are coming from now, that defeat today just adds to the mental baggage and I fear it could affect our next few games if we don’t get a comfortable win soon.

9 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Fully supportive of Emery and we are close but so far from being what he wants.

There are some positives on the team, but.....

There are no excuses for the players imo, when a team continues again and again to do the same thing over and over, the same poor game management, the same weak mentality, the same mistakes.

Doing it once or twice is one thing, but we do it again and again, it's really painful to know what's coming before it happens.

Exactly this, which Villa fan wasn't expecting a goal from them near the end?

11 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I personally don’t think the 3rd goal was an obvious offside. Could have been given, but Martinez didn’t complain about it, and IMO it would have gone in anyway

I just want the referees to explain how it was different from the goal we scored against Arsenal two or three seasons back (McGinn I think).  That is the problem - just no consistency whatsoever (well apart from most decisions going in favour of the Sly 6).

Edited by allani
  • Like 3

Just now, allani said:

I just want the referees to explain how it was different from the goal we scored against Arsenal two or three seasons back (McGinn I think).  That is the problem - just no consistency whatsoever (well apart from most decisions going in favour of the Sly 6).

Yep fair enough. Lack of consistency and lack of clear explanations during / immediately after the game are frustrating

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im sorry but i can't agree with this.  The defence is not good enough

I agree, but we'll have Carlos and a new RCB/RB to come in. We may look for a new LB and I'd take the opportunity to sell Martinez and bring in a player Emery wants for his system. 

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im sorry but i can't agree with this.  The defence is not good enough

I'd argue our ability to keep the ball isn't good enough

Arsenal and City was wave after wave, need to play better football and keep the ball

The only villa player who held the ball for longer than 20 seconds today was martinez

And next 3 games I expect to start to see just that

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

You wouldn't call that if it was the other way around. 

No.  But McGinn's goal against Arsenal a couple of seasons back was ruled out for exactly the same thing.  In fact it was worse because the player was blocking the view to the back post and McGinn put it in the top near corner.  It either is allowed or it isn't.

12 minutes ago, ianifratti said:

I can’t believe people on here saying we were shit. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion I know but Is this the difference between being a supporter and a fan? If so go follow whichever team wins the title. We don’t need you. 

I’m gutted we lost today. It was a great game and we deserved a draw

If you give up the lead twice yet again and let the game become a basketball game you deserve nothing.

The building blocks are there. We're a good watch and threatening and play the right way but we need serious upgrades in this squad now.

Same old faces wobbling when the tide turns.

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Yep fair enough. Lack of consistency and lack of clear explanations during / immediately after the game are frustrating

Another terrible call against us when versus Arsenal - that notorious handball not given, disallowing McGinn’s goal for offside and now an offside goal in their favour. There’s no consistency. No crying from Arteta this week no doubt about the officiating. No suspensions for officials either. 

Thought we battled really well today against a very well drilled, fit Arsenal side. I think many of us probably thought after their second that we would be lucky to come away with the point. Watkins was excellent again until the pace of the game caught up with him 

Motm, for me, McGinn. Gave everything. It's performances like that, why so many managers give him that respect. Couts looks like he's slowly finding that mojo, just needs to find another level of fitness. 

Cash, for all his endeavour, was woeful at times with that final ball. Bailey, the same. Although he  certainly added a spark when  coming on. 

Hopefully we can find some momentum and build up some much needed points. Gutted, but optimistic. I really don't think we're that far away from being a top 6 side.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

Â