Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

14 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I’ve seen people on Twitter saying we’re going to get relegated 😂

There's a lot of crap about net spend going around right now over there. Apparently we're not ambitious enough because we don't go mad like Chelsea have: ignoring how they're possibly the worst club in the world to emulate in transfer policy right now.

And don't forget the calls for a squad overhaul and another 4/5 first team players in, on the back of 1 (one) freak defeat. Christ. Wouldn't be surprised to hear if football twitter was the #1 source of income for the adult nappy industry.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Why are posters so obsessed with Brighton ? Thought this was an Aston Villa - the founding fathers of the football league forum… Don’t  give two shits what others are doing. We have Emery, Monchi, Vidagany & Lange and I have full faith in them to do what’s best for our great club. 

Because they are top of the FFP league. 

The ONLY league that matters. 

• Haha 2

Is Kudus too expensive? There were rumours a few weeks back that it was between us and Brighton for him and Brighton were favourites, but now West Ham are being mentioned.

I guess Zanolio is the Buendia replacement, so we've moved on from Kudus (if we were ever actually in for him), but he does seem to offer everything you could want from an attacking midfielder, including a questionable injury record!

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

We should give Diego a chance… as long as he can keep getting fitter, stronger, sharper… he can actually bring what Ty did and more…

Keep banging the drum… Pau and Carlos are being underestimate and underrated… competed and performed at the top level for many years… so much to offer… it’s just about settling and adapting… they should be afforded that time now.

Go back a few years, and a CB partnership of Pau and Diego would be seen as one of the best around…

I would like to see a Pau-Carlos partnership, it just depends on how recovered Carlos is from that injury. Given time they could become great together with Konsa in reserve, we just need one of them to lead the team. If Carlos can do that effectively then we probably don't need another centre back right now (might do in 12 months depending on Mings' situation). 

My personal preference would be another forward or two, and a right back who can also play centre back. It just depends on how much we have left to spend, I fear it's not much before we end up in FFP trouble given we are targeting loan signings like Zaniolo and if it's to be believed Harrison. It can't be that we have no money because we have only spent around £70m this summer which is not much in this day and age. Maybe we see some more spending if Aaron Ramsey and Archer are moved out the door to give us more FFP headroom.

Edited by Leeroy

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

With Man City after Paqueta, we should push to sign Doku.

Diaby, Doku and Zaniolo would cause some problems for opposition players.

Failing that, we go after Jonathan David.

City are still after Doku I believe, regardless if they get Paqueta.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

With Man City after Paqueta, we should push to sign Doku.

Diaby, Doku and Zaniolo would cause some problems for opposition players.

Failing that, we go after Jonathan David.

City want Paqueta and Doku to replace Gundogan and Mahrez

For me losing Mings is like losing your captain and biggest rock of the team... It is a massive blow and will leave a gaping hole. I must admit to not being impressed (yet) by Either Torres nor Carlos and Digne / Cash I thought looked out of sorts at Newcastle too! I fear this is going to take some sorting out, losing Buendia has also largely nullified the extra creativity we brought in (Although he does also go missing very often anyway) The big issue is that this now pushes Bailey closer to starts, which to me is scary as he is, for me, a poor player and a liabilty. Him ahead of Cash on that right side, is an accident waiting to happen.

We have many good players but we are a badly damaged unit right now. I see a worse team than last season with a lot more question marks about them at this point in time. We need replacements if we are to have a good season still otherwise I am revising my prediction to having the kind of season West Ham had last time out.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 1

Mentioned as being interested in Murillo from Corinthians, 21 yo LCB who can cover LB & DM. 
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/murillo/profil/spieler/1005649

“There are several clubs keen on him. Napoli made an offer a few days ago. Manchester City, Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa are the newest interested parties.”

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/08/14/nottingham-forest-fail-with-bid-for-17m-man-city-target-amid-wolves-talks/

• Like 1

We already signed a backup for Mings: Pau. We had 4 CBs for a reason (arguably 5 if you include Chambers). We don't need another one. Some combination of Diego, Pau, and Konsa will get the job done just fine.

Buendia is the bigger problem. He may be inconsistent but we don't have anyone else who does what he does. A creative midfielder is the priority for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

Yes, exactly.

Buendia and Mings are important players but at the end of the day we have a lot of quality in the squad nowadays, and the window isn't even over yet.

Absolutely spot on - we have a squad full of experienced players, many of whom are seasoned internationals, plus some exciting young prospects coming through, as well as the likes of Moreno and Ramsay who are only out for another couple of weeks or so. No need for panic and I still think that Emery and Monchi were planning to bring more people in before the Buendia and Mings injuries. More than half the Premier league would be very happy with our squad as it stands....a couple of additions in the right areas and we'll be just fine.......no sweat, no dramas.

3 hours ago, duke313 said:

Talk about an overreaction 🤣

You can see it from Emery and his interviews on Saturday after Newcastle. We've lost two key players plus the 5 1 hammering showed we are not where Emery or we thought we would be. 

11 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Maybe a punt on Olise from Palace to fill buendia’s boots? 

No chance imo. I think our chance for him was before he moved to Palace (and then he only wanted London) he's talked regularly as somebody City could be looking at.

He'd be perfect. But dont see it happening.

Eze might be more likely, only has 2 years left on his deal and is stalling on a new one, Palace would probably look to sell him next summer, maybe we can get in early?

• Like 1