Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 minute ago, wishywashy said:

Funny how it's quite widespread among fanbases that teams are "replacing 2-3 absolutely useless players" away from being good. It's clearly not true.

McGinn and Luiz were among this group during the Gerr*ard era for instnace . Some of the crap I saw being hurled at McGinn in particular was shocking. Now he's arguably our best midfielder. Who knew that playing badly might be more nuanced than "he's starting, it's over because he's utter crap"?

There also seems to be an obsession, especially on Twitter, with overhauling the squad and signing a bunch of players in a window even if there really isn't a need to. That often causes more bad than good.

I note that the Olsen thread has more pages than Calum Chambers (another Gerrard signing) who whilst rather limited is a handy backup doesn't get the same level of vitriol or concern. I don't rate either that highly but will support them still. That's the reality of football.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Your Buendia shtick is beyond tiresome though. It's so ridiculous looks like trolling but don't think it is

TBF, you could say the same about most of your comments this summer.  You've become the angriest man on VillaTalk, laying into other posters more than providing anything to spark debate, which is so ridiculous at times it looks like bad trolling. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

I note that the Olsen thread has more pages than Calum Chambers (another Gerrard signing) who whilst rather limited is a handy backup doesn't get the same level of vitriol or concern. I don't rate either that highly but will support them still. That's the reality of football.

You said it yourself - Chambers is a handy backup. Olsen is not.

I will support them on the pitch, I can still say we need better during the transfer window.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

TBF, you could say the same about most of your comments this summer.  You've become the angriest man on VillaTalk, laying into other posters more than providing anything to spark debate, which is so ridiculous at times it looks like bad trolling. 

I'm not angry. That's a shit take. Saying I don't believe we're linked to majority of +108 players is just common sense

• Haha 1

During the last couple of years ,according to certain VTers McGinn,Luiz,Watkins,Cash, Digne, Bailey,Chambers,Dendoncker,Olsen and even Moreno have all been "shit"

It's pretty amazing what a good team we've become with all these "shit" players. Hopefully Monchi & Emery can bring some more "shit" players in

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

I'm not angry. That's a shit take. Saying I don't believe we're linked to majority of +108 players is just common sense

Stay out of the transfer speculation thread? You won't have to tell everyone you don't believe it then.

You can enjoy being not angry more as well.

• Like 3

Think Olsen was more of a Lange suggestion tbh.

Man. United in the cup said it all about his level in high pressure situations, it was nowhere near good enough.

Guess we'll look to get a new keeper in January as we should be still in europa and FA cup by then.

4 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Can't wait for Felix or Torres to join and get slagged off just so people can get their transfer dopamine hit. I don't think either are a good fit for several reasons but new player obsessed don't care

so you seem to basing your opinions on Felix based on a underwhelming spell at the train wreck which was Chelsea last season under fat frank and one bad tournament? Remind me, did Rooney do much in international tournaments post 2004 ? Plenty of one wonder tournament players - you’d be criticising to the hills if we signed someone based on that. And who looked good last season at Chelsea ? Not sure why you don’t rate Torres but no doubt based on your love of FBREF stats which don’t show the true story… If he’s good enough for Emery & Monchi he’s good enough for me.  

Just now, pintpotvilla said:

During the last couple of years ,according to certain VTers McGinn,Luiz,Watkins,Cash, Digne, Bailey,Chambers,Dendoncker,Olsen and even Moreno have all been "shit"

It's pretty amazing what a good team we've become with all these "shit" players. Hopefully Monchi & Emery can bring some more "shit" players in

It's amazing what a decent manager can do with an average squad of players though.

As a side note. Fergie was doing it at Man Utd for years and still winning trophies when the squads were also complete with their share of shit bang average players over the years.

When you have a manager that can get the best out of every player he has then you're already half way to success. If he adds additional quality to that squad, then it will be great to witness what is going to be achieved.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rolta said:

This is an invented narrative too. I get the heebie jeebies when he plays in a way I haven't had since Nyland, and it has nothing to do with the shitty previous manager. It's because of how shakey he's looked in 92% of his appearances.

This 100%. The idea I don’t want Olsen in nets because of who signed him is wild. I don’t want him in nets because it’s detrimental to our team. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, skarroki said:

List of players Emery has publicly said he's happy with and people need to get over the fact they're not leaving:

Olsen

Dendonker

Coutinho

He said the same about Sanson, about two days before he left on loan. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Oakes was no Bosnich, Guzan was no Friedel, Enckleman was no James, Postma was no Sorenson... I can't think of a time where our goalkeepers were evenly matched... but with Martinez, that task is practically impossible.

Pretty sure Bosnich and Spink overlapped at some point, didn’t they? Not sure how good Spink was by then, though, as I was still in single figures at the time.

22 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Endlessly, unremittingly, brutally repeated common sense, until we get it. But we aren't getting it, we keep looking for our pointless dopamine hit because we are vulnerable, needy, less wise football fans.

Given your lack of success in converting us, do you think you might consider a different hobby?

They say one of the definitions of madness is doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result, so it could be good for your mental health to let others do as they please without you commenting on their foolishness.

Alternatively, perhaps you are kinky and just get a kick out of shouting into the void, in which case, crack on... Sir!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Given your lack of success in converting us, do you think you might consider a different hobby?

Yes. Waiting for transfer window to end and willing on the team. Other than that, learning to play piano

• Like 1