Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

We had our best season in years last year, whilst chelsea had their worst. They have brought in millions in overinflated fees this summer.

Gallagher might be going for 40-50m!!

Chelsea had 20 years of success prior to that one bad year.

18 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Maybe we could get a decent fee + buyback or sell on clause 

It’ll be a loan deal… read elsewhere that the club are only willing to let him leave on a loan, not a permanent deal. He’s one of our most promising and gifted youngsters…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Because in those 60 games he has shown he can hold his own in this league and has age on his side. 

The senior players we are trying to sell are just not very good and the kids haven’t proven they can do it in this league. 

Yeah - demonstrating you're good enough for top six in the PL over a couple of seasons gives a player insane value, and in fairness if you can do it there these days you're good enough for any league in the world. I can't get my head around players like Darwin Nunez being worth £85m despite never playing PL football. The risk factor is huge there, whereas the risk for Chalobah at £45m is far less as you know what you're getting.

• Like 1

Chelsea in for Robert Sanchez (2nd choice to Kepa?), Arsenal after Raya (making Ramsdale 2nd choice?)…

I know it’s not a priority, at least in terms of expenditure… but… I’m sure we could do a lot better than Olsen…

But, if Unai is happy with him and seen an improvement in training… it’s fine…

We have to reserve most of our budget or big fees for other positions and have spent a fair bit on both Pau and Diaby - good value deals though they are…

But… I’d be delighted if we improved on Olsen. Would make me feel even better and more confident about the season and what we can achieve…

Just now, Jas10 said:

Chelsea in for Robert Sanchez (2nd choice to Kepa?), Arsenal after Raya (making Ramsdale 2nd choice?)…

I know it’s not a priority, at least in terms of expenditure… but… I’m sure we could do a lot better than Olsen…

We have to reserve most of our budget or big fees for other positions and have spent a fair bit on both Pau and Diaby - good value deals though they are…

But… I’d be delighted if we improved on Olsen. Would make me feel even better and more confident about the season and what we can achieve…

Sanchez will be ahead of Kepa within about 2 months. Miles better player.

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Unless a club buys or agrees a contract with Olsen we are in a weaker position to buy a new backup as potentially being third choice will merely drive up any fees or salaries from the get go. 

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I think we don't want 3 senior keepers in the Squad. So to expend time and energy finding a buyer for Olsen and signing a replacement isn't a priority given he has 2 years left on his contract. Similarly I get the feeling Young not being extended is that we were signing Pau, Carlos was back fit so Konsa and Chambers were plenty of cover for RB (which is the more defensive side of defence).

We save £4m or so in wages letting Ash go. If we signed a GK and kept Olsen we'd be adding fee amortisation and wages for what benefit really?

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think we don't want 3 senior keepers in the Squad. So to expend time and energy finding a buyer for Olsen and signing a replacement isn't a priority given he has 2 years left on his contract. Similarly I get the feeling Young not being extended is that we were signing Pau, Carlos was back fit so Konsa and Chambers were plenty of cover for RB (which is the more defensive side of defence).

We save £4m or so in wages letting Ash go. If we signed a GK and kept Olsen we'd be adding fee amortisation and wages for what benefit really?

I wouldn’t want to keep Olsen… but it looks like we are, so I’ve made peace with it 😆

Any chance SG’s team come in for him and Phil? Doesn’t look like it…

We aren't going to sign a goalkeeper to be third choice, Sinisalo, Marschall, Zych, and Wright could all do that, for the same reason we're very unlikely to sign a young keeper because we already have a bunch of our own...

Sinisalo is Finnish internaitonal and has done well out on loan

Marschall is England youth international and has also done well out on loan, it's non-league but that's where most young goalkeepers go to being with, see current England senior keepers, he's also very much a modern keeper in terms of being very comfortable on the ball

Zych is Poland U19 international and captain, I read he turned down Man Utd to sign for us

James Wright has already made our first team bench and was academy player of the season.

We will likely only sign another keeper if Olsen leaves and then it will probably be another older keeper happy to sit on the bench as No.2 until one of our younger keepers is ready to take up that position.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just read that Milan have set a £24 million asking price for Charles De Ketelaere… Seems a fair price and he’d add creativity & versatility. 

Wonder if there was any truth to the Zaniolo rumours as he was touted around similar fee … 

Edited by thabucks

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Potentially looking to sell:

Olsen - international goalkeeper (2m)

Digne - french international, good standard PL player, formerly at barca. (10-15m)

Hause - championship standard at best(1m)

Dendoncker - belgian international with PL experience (5-10m)

Coutinho - brazil int'l, formerly went for one of the biggest transfers ever (5-10m)

Traore - as explained above (5m)

Davis - championship at best, but proven there. (1m)

In brackets are values I would place on each, totalling 87m.

I doubt we would get more than 25m for all of them.

I’ve added what I would value them as if I was buying.  considering wages too.  So if we get 25m for them all it’s probably about right.

13 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Just read that Milan have set a £24 million asking price for Charles De Ketelaere… Seems a fair price and he’d add creativity & versatility. 

Wonder if there was any truth to the Zaniolo rumours as he was touted around similar fee … 

This guy doesn't look like he could score in Handsworth during police strikes wearing a "I really, really want to buy some drugs" T shirt.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

I think we might be surprised and see a new RB arrive this week.

If so Chambers would be moving on I feel. I think Emery wants a small squad full of players he can rely on and who have a mix of skills.

19 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If so Chambers would be moving on I feel. I think Emery wants a small squad full of players he can rely on and who have a mix of skills.

Dunno, Chambers arrived on a free and is probably on relatively modest wages so isn’t much of a cost to us and he can provide cover for a number of positions if we suffer an injury crisis. All depends on him being happy playing ‘5th wheel’ but that seems to be the way his career’s gone (without doing too much wrong I’d add).

• Like 2