The Last of Us (Warning: spoilers for most recent episode openly discussed!!)

Stevo985

Really really want to watch this, but it is on a streaming service here called Binge, which I don't have.

I have decided to hold off for a while and let the episodes build up, because I know that once I start watching, I won't stop.

Liked the idea of a swarm, wonder if that's something they would have liked to do in the game, but were unable to due to the hardware at the time. 

The Joel/Ellie dynamic is working so far for me, and the museum scene was good, again separating it from a typical zombie show. 

I'd be interested from those who didn't play the game if they though tess' death was under developed

In the game I think I started really slow cos of exploring and enjoying it at the start so I was what feels 3 to 5 hours in before she dies

I don't think I liked the swarm as much as I liked the idea of the hive mentality, they've never conveyed that in the games have they? Unless it's tucked away in one of the notes, seeing the little shoots coming out of the ground to tell them where they were was cool

Yeah this is **** brilliant isn’t it?

The clickers were perfect. And the way Joel and Ellie were hiding from them by crouching behind the cabinet and being quiet was such an awesome nod to the game. 

Even Joel lifting that filing cabinet at the start was straight from the game. 

It’s shaping up brilliantly. I was so tense during that episode, and I know the plot!

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The cinematography is absolutely stunning honestly. Even the low effort shots like the woman in Indonesia and the interview at the start of ep 1

I might be wrong here but the "low effort shot" is an effect that they are purposefully putting on it to make it feel dated because they're scenes set in the past, again just good cinematography

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah this is **** brilliant isn’t it?

The clickers were perfect. And the way Joel and Ellie were hiding from them by crouching behind the cabinet and being quiet was such an awesome nod to the game. 

Even Joel lifting that filing cabinet at the start was straight from the game. 

It’s shaping up brilliantly. I was so tense during that episode, and I know the plot!

The tess scene at the end before they changed it the dialogue was straight from the game

The clickers for me was the sound, they properly nailed it

Game spoilers kind of

Spoiler

Excited to see Bill because he's getting more story including flashbacks I think with Joel and tess but really now I want to see how dark they take it with David, he could be incredible

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The clickers for me was the sound, they properly nailed it

They used the same voice actor. Proper attention to detail. You can tell the original creator is involved. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

They used the same voice actor. Proper attention to detail. You can tell the original creator is involved. 

Yeah Druckman directed that episode too.

I really like the opening scenes of both episodes (the tv show and Indonesia.) I can imagine that each episode will reveal more of the virus development before the societal collapse.

They are nailing it but I'm interested to see how it's received by friends who knew nothing of the games.

• Like 1

This had HBO's biggest ever increase in viewership for a second episode (up 22% from episode 1), the third episode was referred to as on of the best of the series by critics who saw them all ahead of it being on TV, and episode 4 doesn't have the distraction of football playoffs (or something idfk). 

Hopefully that viewer count will continue to grow, as that's what it's all about ultimately if we ever want to see a series 2 (and beyond?). 

I also can't recommend the accompanying podcast series on the HBO Max YouTube channel enough. It features the two show creators and Troy Baker hosts (the original Joel, as well as about a billion other roles in games and anime). 

Future show spoilers I guess?? 

Spoiler

Both Baker and Ashley Johnson, the original Ellie, are in the show too, and they're not simple cameos. They also don't look like their respective characters in the game though! 

Anyway, the podcast is really good, gives the listener a really good idea of what they were going for, and some little bits of plot which may be missed. No game spoilers in it, BTW. 

12 minutes ago, hogso said:

This had HBO's biggest ever increase in viewership for a second episode (up 22% from episode 1), the third episode was referred to as on of the best of the series by critics who saw them all ahead of it being on TV, and episode 4 doesn't have the distraction of football playoffs (or something idfk). 

Hopefully that viewer count will continue to grow, as that's what it's all about ultimately if we ever want to see a series 2 (and beyond?). 

I also can't recommend the accompanying podcast series on the HBO Max YouTube channel enough. It features the two show creators and Troy Baker hosts (the original Joel, as well as about a billion other roles in games and anime). 

Reveal hidden contents

Both Baker and Ashley Johnson, the original Ellie, are in the show too, and they're not simple cameos. They also don't look like their respective characters in the game though! 

Anyway, the podcast is really good, gives the listener a really good idea of what they were going for, and some little bits of plot which may be missed. No game spoilers in it, BTW. 

The podcast they did alongside Chernobyl was fantastic so given the same people are involved I'd expect the same from this. I'll save it until I've watched the whole of the first season

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Yeah Druckman directed that episode too.

I really like the opening scenes of both episodes (the tv show and Indonesia.) I can imagine that each episode will reveal more of the virus development before the societal collapse.

They are nailing it but I'm interested to see how it's received by friends who knew nothing of the games.

It's not a virus!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hogso said:

Reveal hidden contents

Hopefully a second season

Sony seem to be pushing their IPs hard, this, uncharted, ghost of tsushima film coming (which is rightly in Japanese but as a result won't get watched) , GT film coming, rumours Netflix are doing horizon

would prefer it if this was a huge success and HBO wanted to hold their hand on a god of war show

50 minutes ago, hogso said:

I can see Horizon working, Days Gone maybe...but beyond that...Heavy Rain perhaps? 

I did think heavy rain but not sure David cage wouldn't shoot himself in the foot over it, he'd want too much control and **** it up

Days gone seems almost too obvious cos the market is definitely there but at the lower end anyone should be able to make that work, infamous wouldn't work

Sly Cooper cartoon could be fun

Would say astro bot or syphon filter but they should concentrate on making the bastard games first...

Â