The Last of Us (Warning: spoilers for most recent episode openly discussed!!)

Stevo985

31 minutes ago, hogso said:

Not really sure what purpose splitting up each game in to two seasons would serve, it's not exactly the most epic story in terms of length. I believe Druckmann has actually already confirmed that this season is the whole of the first game. Curiously, they've also confirmed all the episode lengths, the final one is the shortest at 43 minutes, excluding the first episode being the longest at 81 mins, the longest is episode 3 at 76 minutes, and the next shortest is at episode 4 at 46 minutes. There does seem to be some 'filler' included in that, I use the term lightly as it has negative connotations, it won't necessarily be bad. Game spoilers and therefore TV show spoilers to follow:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm led to believe that the section in the sewers where you find a dead community is going to be a bit more fleshed out. I really liked picking through the history of that place in game, and its grizzly end. 

Season two covering the second game would be longer, but not massively so. 12 episodes maybe? Perhaps if it's as big a hit as HBO is hoping for, there could be spin offs, the adventures of Tess and Joel during those 20 years, for example.

On the filler

Spoiler

I read Frank and Bill have an episode

I haven't watched it yet, I'm going to wait for a few more episodes then I'm gunna binge it, currently working my way through Yellowstone anyways so I'm not in any rush.

Someone asked me yesterday if I was going to watch it and my response was "will it be as good as the game? no! did it need to be made? no! will I watch it? I'll probably take a look at a few episodes" but that was before hearing the reviews and I'm quite excited for it now.

I think I had a bit of a downer on it because I was just expecting it to be another lazy adaptation that does nothing but hits diversity quotas at the expense of a potentially good series but that doesn't sound like its the case at all with this.

42 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Re. expanding out the show and it's relation to the game

Hide contents

They have apparently also included an episode that encompasses the DLC story, though how faithfully I am not sure.

Well I did see the photobooth part make an appearance in one of the trailers.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

On the filler

Reveal hidden contents

I read Frank and Bill have an episode

As well as the photo booth (and Carousel) pointed out by @Wainy316, indicating that the DLC seems to be faithfully replicated, the teaser at the end of the first episode seems to confirm your spoiler too. Like my spoiler, a story in the game that could be used as filler, but good filler.

I wanna see some skyscraper falling over but not collapsing back story plz.

Oh, and on your point about some bits being lifted straight out of the game in the intro, my favourite was 'hardcore drugs'.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bizzzle said:

I liked it but it didn't blow me away. It kinda reminded me of The Walking Dead when The Walking Dead was actually good 

Imo The Walking Dead is one of the most overrated shows ever. i couldn't make it beyond the first season, awful acting and script

• Like 1

Wouldn't surprise me if there was enough in the second game to make 2 seasons. That story is the best story in any game I've ever played and given the way it snakes in between more than one character I think there's probably enough to drag out (in a good way)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if there was enough in the second game to make 2 seasons. That story is the best story in any game I've ever played and given the way it snakes in between more than one character I think there's probably enough to drag out (in a good way)

Yeah, absolutely. In fact, I think you’d need two seasons to do it justice.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I avoided this thread yesterday because 'spoilers' but then I watched it and realised I pretty much knew what was going to happen anyway.

Me too. Didn’t stop me from crying, though. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Agreed on your review of TLOU 2’s story.  I wonder if it will translate as well in show form, would it work as well and be able to take you on the emotional rollercoaster that the game does?

9 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Agreed on your review of TLOU 2’s story.  I wonder if it will translate as well in show form, would it work as well and be able to take you on the emotional rollercoaster that the game does?

Given the people involved in this show, and the resounding acclaim the first series is getting, I trust them to do a good job.

Huge spoilers for the second game/season. Don't read if you haven't played the games:

Spoiler

I found the second game so much darker than the first. Some stuff in there is truly shocking and I think that would be amazing for viewers who haven't played the game. It would be a proper shift from the first season to a place they wouldn't be expecting it to go.

Stuff like Joel's fate and that moment where Ellie kills Abby's friends and discovers the woman was pregnant would be truly shocking game of thrones style shock moments

Given it's HBO I trust them not to be shy in giving it the darkness it needs to pull that off

• Like 1

With regards to the length of the first and second game, an interesting point which I've noticed this week. 

A popular youtuber in the FF realm, named Dansg08, initially made his name by recording and uploading no sphere grid challenge runs of Final Fantasy X, but in more recent years found success with 'movie' edits of games, ie. all the in-game cut scenes and all other story relevant chatter edited together to make one long 'movie'. He's done that for a whole bunch of FF games, but his biggest success - which has reached nearly 10 million views - is a 'movie' version of The Last of Us. 

It clocks in at 6 hours and 8 minutes (plus Left Behind which is separate, clocking in at 1 hour and 15 minutes). By way of comparison, the total confirmed length of the episodes of the TV show is 524 minutes, or 8 hours and 44 minutes. 

It's easy to see, then, why there is so much scope for fleshing out some parts of the story. 

For what it's worth, there are much shorter edited versions of the first game, clocking in at little as 2 hours, but I don't think they really represent the whole story, as of course a lot of work is done amongst those environments, rather than simply the cut scenes.

He also did TLoU Part 2, which clocked in at 10 hours 17 minutes.

Here it is if anyone is curious, and has a spare 6 hours

Spoiler

I should probably mention it was captured from the original PS3 version, so may look a bit rough, from a current gen point of view. 

Edited by hogso

14 minutes ago, hogso said:

With regards to the length of the first and second game, an interesting point which I've noticed this week. 

A popular youtuber in the FF realm, named Dansg08, initially made his name by recording and uploading no sphere grid challenge runs of Final Fantasy X, but in more recent years found success with 'movie' edits of games, ie. all the in-game cut scenes and all other story relevant chatter edited together to make one long 'movie'. He's done that for a whole bunch of FF games, but his biggest success - which has reached nearly 10 million views - is a 'movie' version of The Last of Us. 

It clocks in at 6 hours and 8 minutes (plus Left Behind which is separate, clocking in at 1 hour and 15 minutes). By way of comparison, the total confirmed length of the episodes of the TV show is 524 minutes, or 8 hours and 44 minutes. 

It's easy to see, then, why there is so much scope for fleshing out some parts of the story. 

For what it's worth, there are much shorter edited versions of the first game, clocking in at little as 2 hours, but I don't think they really represent the whole story, as of course a lot of work is done amongst those environments, rather than simply the cut scenes.

He also did TLoU Part 2, which clocked in at 10 hours 17 minutes.

Here it is if anyone is curious, and has a spare 6 hours

Reveal hidden contents

I should probably mention it was captured from the original PS3 version, so may look a bit rough, from a current gen point of view. 

Yeah these are perfect for someone like me who was intrigued (and enjoyed) the story but was so completely apathetic by the gameplay that they never finished the games.

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Apart from the kid not looking anything  like the game 😂

But otherwise its good

I think the potential legal issue with Elliot Page probably encouraged them to not be too bothered about likeness there

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think the potential legal issue with Elliot Page probably encouraged them to not be too bothered about likeness there

Yeah i did wonder why that was the case. This probably explains it

Â