The Last of Us (Warning: spoilers for most recent episode openly discussed!!)

Stevo985

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Originally they weren't going to the hospital. They were just going to the fireflies base relatively nearby to Boston. Marlene was going to take her but then they got attacked and she got wounded, which is why she asked Tess and Joel to do it.

Tess and Joel made the decision to take Ellie further across the country after Tess got infected and the Fireflies base had been attacked so there was nobody else to take her

Cheers, I guess I did miss a key part of the plot then.  I don't think my brain can cope with TV shows that air weekly any more, I've forgotten everything within 2 episodes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd also say with the source material already existing, it would have been very difficult to make the ending any different in an attempt to improve it.

I loved the ending, but then again I knew what was coming and know what's still to come. So it works for me. 

I totally understand that without knowing that it probably seemed a bit abrupt.

It took me a while to decide what I thought if the ending, but after reflection I loved it. Why in an apocalyptic world should anything be perfect.

The reality is in the same situation, I would do exactly what Joel did. Most people would if they are honest.

Really good last episode.

Not really sure why people thought it was OTT for Joel to act like that. After his character arc during the series, you know he is more than capable and ready to do anything due to his commitment and love for Ellie*

Brilliant, brilliant show.

*if it was one of my kids or my wife in that situation I would have done the same thing.

Edited by Designer1
Speeeling
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Really good last episode.

Not really sure why people thought it was OTT for Joel to act like that. After his character arc during the series, you know he is more than capable and ready to do anything due to his committed and love for Ellie*

Brilliant, brilliant show.

*if it was one of my kids or my wife in that situation I would have done the same thing.

Yep. Agreed entirely. 

Loved it. Loved the whole series. 

Can’t f***ing wait for S2. 

• Like 1

I liked the show, admittedly not as much as some.

Not a fanboy having never played the game which makes me wonder are there any fanboys who hate the show? Or is everyone invested?

I really liked the Viggo Moretensen movie The Road (2009), I'm getting some similar vibes from the show. And the TV show touches upon characterisations and themes from the book and film.

Not to take anything away from the video game, TV show. I will surely watch season two.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jareth said:

Loving the whole "I'd so the same" - well I can tell you I'd have sprained my ankle on that staircase and AK47'd my shins - as much as I'd have wanted to save Ellie. 

I was thinking that. I’d have tried to do the same thing but the nurse would have probably killed me to be honest

• Haha 1

I felt that a couple of times it was very obviously "being" a computer game. The car drive at the start is one example. The hospital scene at the end (one guy per open door, strafe and shoot, walk on, turn left and shoot). It didn't detract from the show for me but it did have that feeling. And I've not even played the game.

2 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I felt that a couple of times it was very obviously "being" a computer game. The car drive at the start is one example. The hospital scene at the end (one guy per open door, strafe and shoot, walk on, turn left and shoot). It didn't detract from the show for me but it did have that feeling. And I've not even played the game.

Yeah they deliberately put some game play camera angles in there.

11 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Not a fanboy having never played the game which makes me wonder are there any fanboys who hate the show? Or is everyone invested?

I'd say the show is pretty much universally loved by fans of the game.  Probably the most faithful adaption of a source material (besides No Country for Old Men) that I've ever seen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

Not for me. I’ve played the game and loved it.

Yep same. It's an incredible story.

One thing I would say is the story gets a lot LOT darker in Season 2. If they stay true to it, which I'm confident they will given it's HBO and Maizin, it'll be a big shift in tone

• Like 1

It's also a much less linear story isn't it, making it quite a tough one to portray over two seasons. I do wonder if they'll keep the same sequence of events as the game, too. It definitely worked for me in the game, not sure how I'd feel about that on TV, though.

A couple of guys who are on my team at work have been discussing this week by week, but out of simple curiosity I've kept quiet and just listened to their thoughts. They're both late 40s and will watch most of big budget TV shows. They don't play video games. 

The thing they came back to quite often was how violent the show was (for what it's worth, I don't really think it was that violent, Walking Dead was far more gruesome in parts), and on the ending they were both torn about whether Joel did the right thing or not. That's indicative enough for me that the ending works for your average Joe(l) non-video game playing viewer. They also couldn't agree on where they were at the very end, whether that was a new settlement or somewhere they had already been. One of the two thought that maybe it was where Johnny was. That's Joel's brother, by the way. 

The mere fact that every Tuesday morning one would ask the other if they had seen the latest episode or not was really pleasing to me, the last thing I can recall them talking about as each episode came out was GoT. 

If they talk about it again, I think I will have to interject and get their thoughts on it a bit more. I might drop a "you've not seen anything yet" in there too. 

• Like 1

On 15/03/2023 at 00:58, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I liked the show, admittedly not as much as some.

I really liked the Viggo Moretensen movie The Road (2009), I'm getting some similar vibes from the show. And the TV show touches upon characterisations and themes from the book and film.

Not to take anything away from the video game, TV show. I will surely watch season two.

A lot of fan boys got ridiculously angry over last of us 2 so I wouldn't be surprised if they carried over to hating the show too (as a hint, especially episode 3) 

I think the road is probably the main influence I get from it, I know they'd seen planet earth, its also heavily influenced by a book called city of thieves 

3 hours ago, sne said:

Mazin and co-creator Druckmann saying that it likely won't be possible to adapt TLOU 2 into just one season so might be more than one season.

They've already confirmed that it will be more than one season. Just not whether it'll be more than 2

25 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I've just started episode 8. I'm getting an air of sexual predator from the David character and I'm someone who has never played games.

Nah, David is a lovely bloke 

• Haha 1

Â