The Last of Us (Warning: spoilers for most recent episode openly discussed!!)

Stevo985

8 hours ago, Jareth said:

I was at peace with that because he only had to take out 3 starved goons, then torture 2 of them while they were strapped to chairs. Ellie did the rest. My little niggle, and there is always one - I think Ellie could have got under the cage door, sure did seem like a big gap when the food was slid through. Niggle 2 - where on earth was everyone else in that town?!! The diner/temple is on fire and nobody notices. 

I suspect that the town actually knew he was a wrong 'un and weren't in a rush to save anyone.  It was a very good episode anyhow.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So, is this going to end in line with the ending of the first game in the next episode? Feels like a lot still to happen and too much for one episode surely? Are they spitting the first game into two series’? 

I know you've edited your post now, but I was going to go on a tangent anyway whilst answering the question I assume you've since found the answer to. 

I have some similar concerns, especially seeing as they are somehow (final episode speculation /spoilers follow) 

Spoiler

putting Ellie's mum in to the episode who will be played be Ashley Johnson, she's very briefly in the final episode teaser

Perhaps it'll be part of the opening and only a couple of mins long, but I do wonder about the pace of the final episode as it isn't a particularly long one in terms of length - in fact it's the shortest of the series at 43 minutes (reportedly). 

Would be wrong to judge it before seeing it though, as they've nailed basically everything about it so far. 

• Like 1

As someone who hasn’t played the game, I have to say this is brilliant. Ellie is a **** killing machine, and acted so well. They have built the characters brilliantly, and you really want Joel and Ellie to succeed. 

I agree that Joel’s miraculous recovery was a bit OTT but I can cope with that. 

Gutted it’s the final episode next week.

Ep9.

10/10

Wow. Just wow.

Incredible. The hospital shoot out was moving - the slow mo, the music, everything.

The scenes between the two of them before the hospital were pure emotion.

And they nailed the giraffe scene!

Bravo. Can't wait for season 2.

• Like 2

Stellar. Pedro Pascal is so so good. So is Bella Ramsey. 

Spoiler

Assume the whole of season 2 will just be the 2nd game. Not that I like where it goes particularly 

8 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

Stellar. Pedro Pascal is so so good. So is Bella Ramsey. 

Hide contents

Assume the whole of season 2 will just be the 2nd game. Not that I like where it goes particularly 

Spoiler

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Joel is stone faced killer.

Just perfect the way they did that. They’ve done that better than the game. 

The game is full of killing, for obvious reasons. But the show always made Joel out to be a good person forced to do bad things. 

This episode was the culmination of how Ellie and him have bonded. He’ll now do anything for her. Literally. 

Beautiful stuff

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Also, anyone else spot Laura Bailey?

No! Has she ever even done any TV?! If she didn't say anything, I wouldn't have a clue. What a legend. 

I think around 2008-2011 she voiced a character in every single game I played for about 3 years. I'm not exaggerating! 

5 minutes ago, hogso said:

No! Has she ever even done any TV?! If she didn't say anything, I wouldn't have a clue. What a legend. 

I think around 2008-2011 she voiced a character in every single game I played for about 3 years. I'm not exaggerating! 

Non speaking cameo.  She was one of the surgeon’s (which is a cool nod in itself) assistants.

Loved the ladder, loved the real giraffe, and loved the pace of it. Any concerns about the length of the episode were unwarranted, it was as long as it needed to be. 

• Like 1

BBC review is good, but highlights some of the issues I think the show has had mainly in the 2nd half of S01.

I still give the series a 9.25 / 10, but it's not perfect.

.......that leads to the show feeling like a squashed, bullet-pointed summary of what made the game so interesting.

On screen, the scene (Giraffes) has been adapted almost verbatim, and yet doesn't quite prove as affecting as it once did. This is possibly because of this episode's rushed sense of pace, with the finale as a whole feeling more like a loose collection of big emotional moments rather than something that flows with rhythm. There is also the ostentatious blue-screen work, which can ironically leave certain moments feeling more artificial than when they're rendered entirely with pixels. 

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20230309-the-last-of-us-finale-review-a-knotty-violent-ending

just finished it, never played the game ( though have just picked up a 2nd hand copy now ) and thought it was fine. Maybe playing the game will elevate it a bit. But the ending just left me baffled. Obviously there's more to come I guess, but I thought, is that it? Final ep thoughts

Spoiler

Plus it's quite hard to maintain much sympathy for Joel

Just a pure psychopath in that last scene? I mean their crime was working for a cure to save humanity, essentially a group of people who've rolled the dice on the trolley problem and made the choice one sacrifice is necessary. Horrendous but given the apocalpytic world around them all, surely understandable. But no they all get mowed down with ruthless abandon. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hogso said:

Oh and not sure if she’s done TV, I know what she looks like due to Critical Role

Â