Have you ever been a Victim of a Burglary, Mugging or Robbery?

maqroll

Car was ransacked this weekend. It was parked in our front drive, we must have left it unlocked.

Cops said it’s a common petty crime in our area. Thankfully there was nothing of value in the car so all they got was about €4. They even left my sunglasses.

• Shocked 1

I’m about 90% sure I was pickpocketed in Bratislava.

Stag do, walking from one bar down what i think was the main city centre high street, late in the evening with my mate and a woman comes up to us to try and entice us to go to some bar or another. We don’t go, but by the time I reach the hotel I find that my wallet has disappeared. I have a vague memory of her being slightly physical when trying to persuade us, hand on shoulders, down the lapel of my coat, that sort of thing.

Lost what cash I had in there, but fortunately it was towards the end of the night, a fair bit of cash had already been spent and I had left some aside in the safe in my room.

I’m only 90% sure as I may have had one or two alcoholic beverages prior to my encounter…

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

Group of older lads turned out the pockets of every lad that came out of school once I recall. They were giving slaps to anyone who resisted, and pretty much taking anything of worth. Money, jewellery, trainers, even coats that looked like they may be expensive. Thankfully by the time it was my turn, passers by had started to notice what was happening, so they got back in their cars and drove off. I only got relieved of a few pound coins. Police came into school the next day and took statements from us all, and got descriptions of the lads, the cars etc. 

I had a box cutter pulled on me at the base of the high-rise commission flats a few years ago. I stood up for myself and that caught him off guard because he realised he was going to have to use it. Lucky for me, a hardened looking senior came out of the building in that moment and told my attacker that he wasn't going to do anything. They knew each other. "You're a *insert estate name* brother, right? Let me do this." But the old timer wasn't having it, and he ended up walking me a few hundred meters clear to ensure I was safe.

Honestly, I don't remember being more nerve ridden in my life. Heart pace rhythm was through the roof, and while during the brief encounter it was tense, afterwards I felt like jelly.

Edited by A'Villan

My Mum and Dad got burgled, the scumbags took the entire kitchen window off, jumped in, took her jewellery, the TV, the Christmas presents, chucked it in our second car and drove off in broad daylight when Mum was out getting chemo.  I'd happily have killed the words removed, two of them got sent down but the ringleader got away with it of course.

• Sad 3

I used to live in a rough-ish area. Got burgled by next door neighbour, who moved in there when the house got rented out. The guy was a low life drug dealer who had fallen that way through a couple of proper nasty scrotes. Luckily I'd noted down the registration number of these 2 scrotes's car. So gave it to the police when they asked if I has any idea who...

The police found half my stuff in a second hand shop, traced it back to the neighbour, searched his house, found more of my stuff. It was all 3 of them who burgled, smashed in through a window after failing to get in through the front door. (I was out at the time). Other neighbours said "we heard something at 4 in the morning, but thought you were moving out". How thick can you be?

I got a letter off the police saying he'd been charged and I might have to go to court. One day his dad came round to see him, with his brother. I "had a word"  showed them the letter. The bloke went to Prison, I phoned up his landlady and said "you might want to keep an eye on the house as it'll be unoccupied for a while...because he's gone to prison for burglary". When he got out he was evicted :), cried his little eyes out and made to hit me with his car as he drove off.

Then I moved house.

Where to start ... ??? Nothing serious

My Morris minivan stolen three times. Sadly got it back three times. Selly Park
We were swarmed and wife had her purse stolen Clapham Common
Burgled three times Selly Park, Johannesburg and Kings Heath
My truck got stolen (where I live now) Police eventually found the truck, but the insurance was already paid out.

The Johannesburg burglary was the most interesting. Police phoned me at work telling me I was burgled. I asked how did he know where I worked ... Pay Stub. Immediately went home. There were the police and a young African lad being forced to sit on his haunches. The lad was a little bit roughed up. Apparently, an off-duty SAP officer saw two suspicious lads carrying a whole bunch of stuff across the highway and caught one. The next morning there's a knock at the door and the SAP are there with another young lad. He is covered in blood. Surprised, I tell the officer he is wearing a shirt of mine. The officer asks would I like it back? It's OK he can keep it. Goes to court, gets postponed ... eventually testify to the value of what was stolen and that the house was secure.

Christmas Day a few years back I was sprayed from behind with mace by 2/3 cowards who took my phone and wallet. While still in pain and shock some clearing in the woods came over asked was I OK and ran off with my bag when I said I needed help

Genuinely thought was acid or something so was worried I wouldnt see again. Police said it was a violent crime to investigate but found nothing

• Sad 2
  • Shocked 1

I was in Athens a few years ago and had enough cash in my pocket to pop out of hotel, catch a subway to the city centre to watch a CL semi final in a bar somewhere.

At one of the subway stops about 5 lads got on and must have clocked me as a tourist, they got off at the next stop and shuffled past me which I thought was odd seeing as the carriage was almost empty.

Door shuts, train moved off and I knew that my cash which was in a front pocket of my Jean's, well tucked in and difficult to extract at the best of times, had gone.

Left me my hotel key though, and fortunately I did not have wallet or cards with me. So that was the end of my night out, still had my subway return ticket though...

I have to say on reflection I was impressed at how easy it was for them, at the time I was bloody annoyed!

"Professional" pickpockets are very good at what they do....bastards

Lost my wallet to a pick pocket in Oslo back when wallets were still a thing, and escaped an attempted mugging on the New York subway in 2008 when a couple of yoofs started asking us for money, then demanding money, before following us as we left and eventually pulled a knife on us (we just ran and they didn’t follow, and we’re probably too full of whatever they were on to run anywhere.) 

40 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

When I was younger my family went on holiday to Paris over Christmas and I was left behind. At first I was a little scared but then decided to make the best of it. One night a couple of guys decided to try and break into my house and I had to fight them off. I thought they had me at one point but then one of my neighbours with a shovel and decided to help me out.

Thanks Kevin. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

in the 80s my dad worked away in Saudi Arabia and whilst it was just me and my mum at home, so must have been 83 or 84, we got burgled over night, a video player was taken. Anyway police came round, we suggested a fella who was known to carry out burglaries, a few years older than me, probably he would have been 20. Turns out it was him as he was bragging about it. A few months later my dad is back and they are in a local pub, this burglar ends up stood at the next urinal to my father and says no hard feelings Pete, my dad zips up and chins him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Â