Tom13

I think what we are seeing is the aftermath of a couple of reckless transfer windows, from the last 2 managers of this club. 

When Smith was here, I'd argue we had less quality in depth than we do know. What we did have though, was Grealish, who made others around him look better. He'd draw so much attention that it allowed other players more space and time on the ball and would raise the whole teams performance on occasion. 

He left and on paper, spending the money like we did looked clever. 3 players for the price of 1. None of them players have been able to replace what Grealish gave us though. Grealish might not have had massive goal contributions or great assist stats but he was a unique problem for the opposition to deal with. Smith never got over the loss of this player to his system. 

Gerrard came along and obviously had a set, stubborn way of how he wanted us to play. Out went all the wide players, the FBs were heavily exposed in his system and again, the signings (bar Carlos & Kamara) were odd. We didn't need Coutinho, who literally rocked up, did enough to earn a contract and has since looked a busted flush. Dendoncker was a total waste of money and a player we didn't need. Digne is an odd one. I was excited at the prospect of him coming in but I don't see what he offers that's any different from Matt Targett, we are just paying more for the privalege. Add to that the signings of Chambers & Bednarek and it stinks of desperation, getting bodies in the door. He then managed to fall out or at least cause a rift with several key players in the side. 

So, Emery is now left with a very unbalanced squad. Players such as McGinn & Ramsey are having to play a 'wider' role as we have no one else. Buendia is playing like a bloke who seems overly desperate to impress, everything he's trying is a risk. Bailey is being utilised as a 2nd striker, a job he's not doing very well and his confidence is gone. Watkins would be a great striker in a front 3, not as a lone forward shouldering the burden of scoring goals. 

Looking at what we have, if I was Emery, I'd be going 4-3-3. The recruitment now should be focused on bringing in 2 wide players, 1 for either side & a striker. We need quality and pace on the flanks and we need a focus up top, who we can play off. 

It sounds like Moreno is coming in. I'm on board with that and would get him straight into the side. 

Therefore you'd be looking at this... 

Emi, Young (I'd be starting him over Cash right now), Konsa, Mings, Moreno, Luiz, Kamara, Ramsey, New LW, New RW, New CF. 

Watkins, Bailey & Buendia can fight it out to start or rotate in the wide forward positions. Ings is back up to the new striker. You keep Sanson & McGinn as options in Midfield and get Irougbunem involved in the squad. 

Cash, Dinge are options at FB, Carlos will hopefully be back soon at CB, so maybe that's another position we need another body in. 

In sticks, you play Emi. It doesn't matter if it is against Stourbridge U10s, you play Emi. He's a winner & as mad as a box of frogs, but our defence needs him behind them. I would rather Sinsalo or Marshall deputise if needed, I'd guess both don't take 3 weeks to get down to try and make a save.

I'd be getting shot of Olsen, Chambers, Bednerak, Coutinho, Dendoncker & possibly Bailey. 

Who we bring in, I can't claim to be an oracle of knowledge on world footy at present. We deffo need pace. It seems a few of them lads at Villarreal have that and must be worth a look.

CF wise, I'd still not be looking too further afield than Tammy Abraham. Knows the club, did well here and would score plenty with good service. I also like the look of Gérard Moreno. More of a target man, but can score goals. Someone in that guise is a must. 

To summarise, I don't think we need to 'rip it up and start again' but we do need to be wiser, smarter and bolder in the transfer market. Brighton & Leicester have nabbed some top talent from lesser Leagues, something we don't do enough. With 3-4 signings, with a clear idea of what system and style of play they are walking into, will instantly make others around them look better as they can focus then on their own specific role. At present I feel we have several players tasked with doing 2 or 3 different roles each game and it doesn't work long-term. 

Luckily, I trust we have a top manager/coach who will know what he needs, where to find it and allow us to kick on. 

Edited by UpTheVilla26
  • Like 1

I don't see any space in the team for Coutinho or Buendia. We need a pacey winger for the Left Mid spot and we've JJ/McGinn for the other RM spot. 

Chambers is far too slow for the high line Emery wants to play so we should see him move on with a new CB joining.

I'd leave decision on Bailey until summer. See the form he is in and decide then. I feel he should be playing off Right Midfield not up front

Loans Augsutinsson and Bednarek to not be made permanent. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I don't see any space in the team for Coutinho or Buendia. We need a pacey winger for the Left Mid spot and we've JJ/McGinn for the other RM spot. 

Chambers is far too slow for the high line Emery wants to play so we should see him move on with a new CB joining.

I'd leave decision on Bailey until summer. See the form he is in and decide then. I feel he should be playing off Right Midfield not up front

Loans Augsutinsson and Bednarek to not be made permanent. 

Pretty much where I’m at. Honestly, if we started next season without Coutinho, Buendia and Bailey, I wouldn’t be bothered one bit. 

Bailey, Buendia, Luiz, Cash, Digne all need to step up if they want to be first team regulars, I could possibly see them all as back up or moved on soon enough.

All players I was happy to see sign, and I have defended them all, but there comes a time where the rose coloured glasses but he changed for the wet fish slap in the face...

10 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

You can't sell something if there isn't a willing buyer.

We all know how this goes. Bombed out for 2/3 seasons on loan to Turkey while we pay the vast majority of their wages.

It's the repeating cycle of villa and it's signings. Everyone is amazing. Then they sign for villa. Flop. Loaned out until contract expiry as we have ruined their value/careers. 

So true it is painful.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

January 2022 really was a terrible window. Coutinho, Chambers, Digne and Olsen all high on the list of people to be moved on

Strangely looked a really good window at the time…amazing how hindsight is so different.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Bailey, Buendia, Luiz, Cash, Digne all need to step up if they want to be first team regulars, I could possibly see them all as back up or moved on soon enough.

All players I was happy to see sign, and I have defended them all, but there comes a time where the rose coloured glasses but he changed for the wet fish slap in the face...

I think Luiz is fine and building a good partnership with Kamara. I don’t see how he fits in this group.

I think some bigger names in the squad are at risk of being sold - and rightly so. Some will probably be given a few months to improve, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the likes of Bailey, Ollie, Cash, Digne, Phil, are now on lists that put their long term futures in doubt. 

We need to get some players in who want to win at all costs despite having loads of money and an easy life. Players who just go through the motions can do one. 

We have players out on loan that are performing better than our squad players. 

Buendia, Sanson, Chambers, Bednarek, Cash, Ludwig, Bailey, Coutinho, Ings, Lolsen did i miss anyone?

Honestly after yesterday's performance they can all do one.

Absolute bottle merchants the lot of them.

Edited by AshVilla

As always, if you're a fair > middling club (or lower) it's not so much about the players you want rid of. 

It's what happens when bids invariably come in for the players you don't want to lose, such as Kamara and Martinez. 

• Like 1

I think the issue is Emery hasn't had very long to get the best out of the players we have. We maybe playing better as a team but a lot of individual form has dropped off a cliff and steep decline started under the former manager.

Buendia and Bailey started well under him, but it feels like the more they start the worse they get, so Emery needs to drop them and coach them better, because no way we will be able to sell them for anywhere near what we paid.

Same with the Digne. Despite his dreadful mistake - Dendonker should be given more time, as again we won't get back what we paid and his form wasn't terrible before this.

Olsen, Chambers, Augustinsson, Bednarek can go

Nakamba, Sanson, Guilbert need to be sold if they are never going to play (have no faith Sanson will get game time despite scoring yesterday).

Not sure why so many think Carlos will come back and be the answer to anything, complete unknown at this point, injury or no injury.

• Like 1

the reality is, not many of the players mentioned will attract fees, certainly not fees that will be attractive to us or by clubs that will be seen as a step up. 

Who realistically would take Buendia/Bailey/Sanson for the types of fees we paid.

I think Emery is going to need to accept that its going to take a while to recycle the squad and may need to compromise a little on his personal beliefs to accommodate the types of player we have.

I'm not giving up on Digne. Burndia or Baiiey. We have seen in fleeting moments what these players can do. It's up to the manager to get the best out of them. These players would do well at others clubs. They have done previously and no reason why they can't for us.

We need to reduce the amount of surplus squad players that offer little and buy better 

• Like 2

Emi M - keep, starting 11

Olsen - sell

Cash - keep, but as back up RB

Digne - Keep as backup LB

Young - keep for versatility 

Konsa - Sell 

Mings - keep, starting 11 

Carlos - keep, starting 11

Chambers - sell

Benarek - terminate loan

Kamara - keep, starting 11

Luiz - keep, starting 11

Dendoncker - backup / squad utility player 

Nakamba - sell

Mcginn - keep, squad player

Ramsey - keep, starting 11

Buendia - sell

Sanson - keep, squad player

Coutinho - sell

Bailey - sell

Traore - sell

Watkins - sell

Ings - sell

• Like 1

For me, next season:

First choice - Martinez, Carlos, Mings, Kamara, Luiz

Squad options (don't sell) - Cash, Ireogbunam, Ramsey, Buendia, Watkins

Squad options (open for offers) - Steer, Konsa, Chambers, Digne, Sanson, Dendoncker, McGinn, Bailey, Ings

Please leave - Olsen, Steer, Augustinsson, Bednarek, Nakamba, Coutinho, Wesley, Davis, Traore, Hause.

To sign - 1x back up GK, 1x RB, 1x LB, 1x CB, 1/2x winger/AM, 1x forward

I'm not sure we would get the offers for all the squad players that we'd want, and they can all contribute something. 

But plenty of ins and outs required over the next couple of windows without doubt. 

Edited by Condimentalist
  • Like 1

We can all see there are serious issues with our squad mainly that they lack enough ability, application and desire. Fortunately our new Manager will see this also and will correct it. We need to continue to be patient as the set up for the next decade looks like it will take two or three seasons to get the foundations right.

In Unai we trust!

ps excellent management last night not to put Kaden Young on and endure that shit show.

Remember when Purslow gloated about buying Bailey, Buendía and Ings to replace Grealish. To replace his goals, his assists and pace.... 

Yeah! 

I would keep Sanson, one of the few players from yesterday that offered something. Buendía was a good player, seems to be the Villa Curse, Some players turn to S**T! Need to get him back to his best, there is a good player in there. Would keep Ings but i dont think he is going to want to stick around to be a bit part player.

I would send Benarek back to Southampton, get rid of Olsen, Chambers, Nakamba, Augustinsson, Coutinho and Bailey.

Need a new back up GK, 1st team LB and RB. Back up CB, need 2 wingers (even though i would convert Ollie onto that role or an advanced forward  as he is not a striker) a goal scoring forward.