Tom13

It seems at the moment that we have a number of players who are underperforming and/or frustrating regularly.

I guess mid table players will always have a few weaknesses, but there's a few in our squad who are even struggling to look PL standard at the moment.

If we're serious about going to the next level and gaining greater consistency, who needs shipping out?

I'd like to see Cash and Digne replaced as a starting point. They limit our attacking threat so much. Cash is even poor defensively as soon as he's up against someone with a bit of trickery. Digne's touch is often so poor. One FB who can actually dribble would be a dream.

I don't think Chambers is good enough to even be a squad player. Weak, rash, overrated passer. Nowhere near good enough.

We need a better regular starter than Watkins. Brilliant at some things, amateurish at many others. I'd like to keep him in the squad, but simply, we need better. Another one who limits our ability to build dangerous attacks.

Leon Bailey - I'm about ready to give up on him. Was willing to be patient to let him get his confidence and fitness going, in a side which actually has shape, but he is so frustrating. Runs down blind alleys, and if he does manage to spot the best option, it's often too late. Could maybe be a good impact sub for a little while, but unless there's a drastic turnaround in his level of performance, he also needs replacing in the starting XI.

Buendia - you won't find a bigger fan of his than me, but his giving the ball away needs to stop. I don't want him gone just yet though - I'd give him more time as I know he's so dangerous in the final third.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Could you imagine the outrage on here if we hadn’t though?

Not much in hindsight considering he would probably be now playing for Barcelona B or they would have bought him out

Inclined to agree and i said it in a different thread...

Martinez, Mings, Kamara, Luiz, Ramsey are my first teasers who can stay...

The rest aren't good enough with the exception of Cash perhaps, I think he will improve.

Buendia and Bailey particularly look like stinkers at the moment, both are average it seems.

Nicking Spoony’s post as a template 

4 hours ago, Spoony said:

I wouldn’t be sad to see any of the following leave:

Olsen

Konsa

Cash

McGinn

Sanson

Buendia

Watkins

Steer

Chambers

Augustinsson

Nakamba

Bednarek

Coutinho

Guilbert

Digne

Bailey

Donk

Start with the bold. 

Thank you Jed, I don’t think we would be in the Premier league without your efforts in 18/19.

I don’t think Marvelous has done much wrong, he’s been an ok squad member. But he doesn’t have a future here.

Callum Chambers, started well. Not sure what the hell has happened. Will remember the Leeds goal fondly and that fancy pass he did for that assist, I forget which game.

Olsen, Bedbarek, Guilbert, sadly this is not meant to be.

On notice and happy to see leave if there’s not a marked improvement during the remainder of the season - Sanson (bit unfair as barely played, today was a good start), Coutinho, Bailey, Digne.

And then below that group it’s probably lead by Watkins but he has a bit more goodwill in the bank. Dendoncker it’s too early for me to say. 

For what it’s worth, I get where Spoony is coming from with this list, I wouldn’t be massively gutted about any of these going (McGinn, maybe for sentimental reasons).

The players I’m bothered about are Martinez, Mings, theoretically Carlos, Luiz, Kamara, Ramsey. And to a slightly lesser extent Cash, Konsa, Buendia, McGinn and Ings. For various reasons I feel better disposed to those players, although some are easier to justify than others.

Edit - forgot Ashley Young, he is welcome to stay.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

It's been clear for ages now that this squad is only good enough for mid table or lower. We can't do a wholesale change, but we need better than Bailey and Buendia immediately.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

There wouldn't have been any outrage. He hardly pulled up trees here on loan.

I got laughed out of here for saying I wasn't thrilled with the signing (permanently) at the time tbf.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

The question should be who can stay?

I think today's result brings a sharp focus on the sad reality that we just aren't good and we have players who, due to their ability cap or mentality deficit, drag the whole program down.

Ashley Young is our best player FFS