Pre-Match Thread

OutByEaster?

2 hours ago, useless said:

Wilson's inclusion might depend on whether we think he's physically ready or not, might be that Shakpoke as a striker is considered closer to the first team at the moment.

Out for the rest of the season with injury. Wilson will need to step up

On 05/01/2023 at 10:35, ferguson1 said:

Olsen

Cash     Chambers     Bogarde    Augustinsson

Dendoncker   Sanson

J Ramsey                        Coutinho 

Ings         Archer

Bednarek in for Bogarde if he’s with for the season though. 

If Bogarde starts they Mings should too. He will need guidance

Bogarde has actually already played on several occasions in defence against first team League One opposition in the EFL Trophy and was one of our standouts every time, he should be fine against Stevenage. But if he plays tomorrow will likely play in midfield as that's where he's been playing for the U21s recently and will probably be his long term position.

It won't be a team with half of them being under 20s.

Likes of Olsen, Dendoncker, Coutinho, Augustinsson will all start this. Probably Chambers aswell just to give him a confidence boosting start as he's struggled so far this season.

So good core of international reserves and I like the shouts to keep Bailey in to get his confidence up with hopefully a goal and/or assist. 

18 hours ago, useless said:

I'd be tempted to play Sinisalo in goal, would definitley start with Bogarde in midfield, maybe Feeney in defence, Kadan Young and Tommi O'Reilly can come on off the bench, have wondered if Triston Rowe might be a surprise inclusion, I guess that might depend on his scholarship status, as in whether he's agreed to sign with us or not, he's a year younger than even K Young, but already played against first team oppo so him being involved wouldn't be totally surprising.

Sinisalo, Feeney, and Bogarde to start, fill the rest of the team with senior players, then bring on a few more youngsters if we get to the stage where we're comfortable in the game.

Emery is not going to disrespect a number of senior players by picking kids over them. Especially ones on 40k a week that don't start games as it is.

I only mentioned starting two 'kids', that's not disrespecting senior players, most Premier League clubs give chances to their younger players in fixtures like this.

Bogarde is a DM of which we normally play two, if he plays it isn't disrepsecting anyone, Luiz and Kamara won't be bothered about being rested, so that just leaves Dendoncker, who he could play alongside, that's if Dendoncker is even fit.

If Feeney was to come into the team it would be because we're resting Konsa and Mings, after those two there's only Chambers presuming Bednarek is going back to Southampton, so again Feeney playing wouldn't be stopping any squad players getting game time, unless we played him alongside Mings or Konsa Chambers ahead of Chambers, but who cares about that, probably not even Chambers himself, as he will get plenty of game time on other occassions.

No one has actually said to start with four or give youngsters, just speculated on the one or two that could potentially start or others that could come off the bench. I actually think for the most part we will play a very strong team, which is in fact what will allow us to give some game time to some of the younger players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supermon said:

Can't bring myself to get excited for this game. Will be boring to watch no matter what the score is

That’s the spirit using the old crystal ball. What’s the full time score ? Save us all some time.

16 hours ago, mattyvilla said:

looking at the training pictures it will be the usual first team squad

Have to just trust Emery. If he wants to rest players and blood youth, great. If he thinks this game is a chance to get more ideas across to the first team, fine by me.

Marschall, Seb Revan, Raikhy, Bogarde, Tommi O'Reilly and Kadan Young have all traning with the first team in the lead up to this game, they're all in the training video posted on the official site yesterday, didn't see Feeney maybe he's injured.

• Like 1

I think that's disrespectful to our reserves.

The likes of Olsen, Augustinsson, Young, Bednarek, Chambers, Dendoncker, Nakamba, Sanson, Coutinho, Ramsey and Danny Ings aren't going to get overrun because they've never seen the physicality of a League 2 side and I don't think adding a sprinkle of Feeney, Bogarde, or Kadan Young is going to unbalance that sufficiently to change the result.

They're a successful side and they're playing well, but we should win this one.

• Like 1

The Premier League is so much more physical than the lower leagues now. Only one or two of the youngsters might struggle with their physicality.

I mean Kadan Young looks like he’s been working out for 25 years! 

Lets not be disrespectful to Stevenage either. He has done a Newcastle since he took over in March 2022.  Won 27 games  . They are used to winning. By contrast we have won about 10 

Yes we can play some squad members but this is not a foregone conclusion  unless we play all of our first team . 

• Like 1