Doncaster  to name a few

Obviously these were  a while ago but we cabt go in with that attitude

The past! Emery ball is the future. 

44 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

And this is aston villa the team thats been humiliated in the past

Bradford 

Doncaster  to name a few

Obviously these were  a while ago but we cabt go in with that attitude

Amen to that. I'd rather us avoid a cup humilation. Yes refresh the starting XI but need to go into this 100% professional and get into the next round. There is no reason why we can't have a half decent cup run this year. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, smg said:

Why do we need to play anything other than a first choice team ? The players are rested after the World Cup break and need competition to get used to the new systems the manager wants to use. Imagine the meltdown if a weak team were to lose. The boo boys would explode. We are not getting European football this year, why not go for a cup ? Playing a second string doesn’t make us a big club and will not move the club forward.

I think we'll see changes because the schedule has been quite hectic - it'll be three games in 13 days without this game - four in 13 is a lot.

I also think we'll see changes because we have players that need games and that Emery will want to have a look at from the start - the likes of Chambers, Bednarek, Augustinsson, Dendoncker, Coutinho and others - I think we can make a lot of changes and still bring in some very good players. 

No need to exhaust everyone here.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think we'll see changes because the schedule has been quite hectic - it'll be three games in 13 days without this game - four in 13 is a lot.

I also think we'll see changes because we have players that need games and that Emery will want to have a look at from the start - the likes of Chambers, Bednarek, Augustinsson, Dendoncker, Coutinho and others - I think we can make a lot of changes and still bring in some very good players. 

No need to exhaust everyone here.

I see they need games but surely these can be arranged during training time. Emery doesn’t need to see Chambers play he knows him from Arsenal, the others he will know enough about to form an impression and decide whether they fit into his vision for the future or not. A game against Stevenage will not tell him anything he doesn’t already know and therefore isn’t necessary. As for the number of games 4 in just about 2 weeks is what players at clubs involved in Europe do on a regular basis, if our players can’t cope there is no point in aiming for European competition.

It's also a chance for the other players to get a game. Shop window for some. If a second string side (our second string is quite different to how it has been before ) can't beat these they should all instantly leave the club. Telling me we can't win with Coutinho and Ings starting a game?

• Like 1

I think the thing is that we can field a pretty decent side with eight or nine changes that should be more than capable of beating Stevenage. 

That might give us a little advantage when we play Leeds.

I think he'll make a lot of changes.

• Like 1

I wouldn't bother with the likes of Guilbert, Sanson, Nakamba, or anyone else that might not be in our plans, would have the likes of Feeney, Bogarde, Tommi O'Reiily and Kadan Young in the squad over those,unwanted players doing well against Stevenage isn't going to make much difference if any at all in terms of other clubs' interest in them. it's very rare we get the opportunity to play promising youngsters alongside senior pros in a compettive game, might as well use it now we've got a chance, all the youngsters don't have to start, could just be one or two with others to come off the bench if the scoreline allows it.

• Like 4

There will be a few bench players given starts but Unai won't mess around too much as the players are still bedding down his system and he'll see it as a good opportunity to keep doing that under match conditions.

• Like 1

I'd go:

Olsen

Cash      Konsa       Mings      Augustinsson

Buendia  Dendoncker  Kamara   Bailey

Ings   Coutinho

We have been lucky for a change that we have a decent draw (on paper) for a change and not the annual trip to Old Trafford but we still need to play with the right attitude and treat our opponents with respect (on their big day out!).

Olsen looked to be more reassured (albeit underworked) against Spurs so I would give him a start in this (get to at least a QF place before looking at Emi returning in this competition!)

I'd play Augustinsson as he looked lively on Wednesday night, hopefully he can put more pressure on Digne in the coming weeks.

Start with both Bailey and Buendia as I think these both could do with the confidence (hopefully) this game will bring and maybe can both play themselves into a bit of better form.

Let Coutinho do his bits playing just off Ings and I think we should, should run out comfortable winners (3-0 or 4-1 - would be my prediction)

After 45-60 mins look to bring on the likes of Ramsey (if fit), Sanson (if alive),  Chambers, Archer etc..

19 hours ago, messi11 said:

The past! Emery ball is the future. 

Yeah but im not taking no team for granted.  If we get knocked out i can imagine what social media an dthis place will be like.

Play a weakened/ but string enough team to win. Have some impact subs just in case

Would probably play Olsen, Cash, Chambers, Mings, Augustinsson, Dendoncker, Sanson, Buendia, Ramsey, Bailey and Ings as a 4-2-2-2 style formation. Maybe have the likes of Kaden Young, Rory Wilson and Lamar Bogarde on the bench for the last 25 mins or so.

Would really like a cup run this year, I feel like we could beat anyone on our day with Unai in charge. Coming up to 30 years without a trophy too, I just want something to properly celebrate. 

• Like 2

I'd be tempted to play Sinisalo in goal, would definitley start with Bogarde in midfield, maybe Feeney in defence, Kadan Young and Tommi O'Reilly can come on off the bench, have wondered if Triston Rowe might be a surprise inclusion, I guess that might depend on his scholarship status, as in whether he's agreed to sign with us or not, he's a year younger than even K Young, but already played against first team oppo so him being involved wouldn't be totally surprising.

Sinisalo, Feeney, and Bogarde to start, fill the rest of the team with senior players, then bring on a few more youngsters if we get to the stage where we're comfortable in the game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, useless said:

I'd be tempted to play Sinisalo in goal, would definitley start with Bogarde in midfield, maybe Feeney in defence, Kadan Young and Tommi O'Reilly can come on off the bench, have wondered if Triston Rowe might be a surprise inclusion, I guess that might depend on his scholarship status, as in whether he's agreed to sign with us or not, he's a year younger than even K Young, but already played against first team oppo so him being involved wouldn't be totally surprising.

Sinisalo, Feeney, and Bogarde to start, fill the rest of the team with senior players, then bring on a few more youngsters if we get to the stage where we're comfortable in the game.

100%. I'd like to see Wilson get on the bench