Pre-match thread

Nigel

15 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Martinez

Young        Konsa             Mings         Digne

Kamara            Chambers

Cash                                Buendia

Bailey         Watkins

I can see this being the team if they are all out, pretty much the team that finished at spurs.

Tbh this would fill me with dread before emery took over....what a difference hes made.

• Thanks 1

Excited and optimistic about this game, which usually leads to a crushing blow.

So with that in mind, I'm predicting a frustrating 1-2 win to Wolves. They'll barely have a sniff but will score from some defensive errors with our high line. 

Ever the optimist me. 

22 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I can see this being the team if they are all out, pretty much the team that finished at spurs.

Tbh this would fill me with dread before emery took over....what a difference hes made.

It was my first thought as well. It does look a negative side on paper but Cash was a useful outlet on the right of midfield last weekend. However, I think Luiz will make it but probably McGinn won’t.  Fingers crossed.

I think Ings in for Bailey is a good call. This will be a reverse of the game on Sunday where Wolves will sit deep and be well organised and we'll have to break them down. Bailey won't be able to use his pace to beat a high line. Ings as a clinical finisher in the box will be more valuable to us. Ings was outstanding against Brighton - still think he has a big part to play for us.

• Like 2

I'd imagine McGinn being out is a given seeing as it was his hamstring he pulled up with, even best case scenario would involve him not being risked as a precaution I think.

Might be wrong but I heard Dendoncker missed out at the weekend due to illness so you'd hope he'd be over that now, and without wanting to read too much into media obligations the fact they had Luiz doing them and the general tone of the piece was a good sign that he should be alright.

Should be a tough one all the same, as much as they've had a bad time of it they're also not the kind of side like an Everton etc that go into free fall and hand out easy points, they'll still make you work for everything and will have the wind in their sails from Lopetegui being recently in the job. Still and all though despite having several good players they massively struggle to score goals, so I can see it being similar to the Brighton and Spurs games in terms of there being limited chances on either side. Just have to hope we're clinical with them again.

12 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

I think Ings in for Bailey is a good call. This will be a reverse of the game on Sunday where Wolves will sit deep and be well organised and we'll have to break them down. Bailey won't be able to use his pace to beat a high line. Ings as a clinical finisher in the box will be more valuable to us. Ings was outstanding against Brighton - still think he has a big part to play for us.

I’m leaning this way as well. Assuming no McGinn but Luiz fit to play:

Emi

Young Konsa Mings Digne 

Luiz Kamara

Cash Buendia 

Ings Watkins

There is also a case for Coutinho instead of Cash or Ings. 

16 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

I’m leaning this way as well. Assuming no McGinn but Luiz fit to play:

Emi

Young Konsa Mings Digne 

Luiz Kamara

Cash Buendia 

Ings Watkins

There is also a case for Coutinho instead of Cash or Ings. 

I've always just considered Cash to be a RB as he has been first name on the team-sheet there for both Smith and SG. He obviously offers much more than that given how versatile he was for Forest. He could be a much better option for the wide midfield role than McGinn is.

45 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

100%.  Would be the perfect game for Coutinho as well.  Will require some intricate phases of play to break Wolves done, Watkins/Bailey pace won't cut it.  a front two of Ings and Coutinho will though.  

13 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

I've always just considered Cash to be a RB as he has been first name on the team-sheet there for both Smith and SG. He obviously offers much more than that given how versatile he was for Forest. He could be a much better option for the wide midfield role than McGinn is.

McGinn has performed well there, my only issue with him on the right is that when Bailey cuts in on his left, McGinn doesn't make runs past him as he is also left footed, Cash might offer something there although i'm not sure Cash is all that great at crossing.

They've scored a measly ten goals in 17 games.

Almost as bad as when they beat us last year in the last 8 minutes.

Let's send the drooling tards home in tears.

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

Anyone know roughly what time the players come out to warm up before the game. Thinking it's about 45 mins before?

They come out thirty minutes before kick off, keepers a little earlier.

(And in this case, the keeper coming out is kind of a big deal).

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

They've scored a measly ten goals in 17 games.

Almost as bad as when they beat us last year in the last 8 minutes.

Let's send the drooling tards home in tears.

The old me would say in response to that “ but yeah this is Villa “ I’m now confident our players are well drilled and will carry out a well executed plan for Wolves, laid out by an elite manager. That happens - result takes care of itself. Bruce was terrible . Smith ( give the ball to Grealish ) Gerrard - awful. Now, every players looks like they are playing better and a real sense of team ethos. 

Is Sanson injured? Could he not go LM and Buendia swap to his Norwich RM position. 

I’d also go Coutinho instead of Bailey

Dibu

Young, Konsa, Mings, Digne

Luiz     Kamara

Buendia                         Sanson

Watkins      Coutinho

6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I think it will be the same team but Cash coming in for McGinn. 

Wouldn’t surprise me. Cash needs to find that sense of adventure he had in his game when he was Forest and predominately a RW for most his time there.