Pre-match thread

Nigel

Application….

That’s what I expect and along with whatever tactics UE gives the team another top performance and yet more progress. 

Go spoil the dogheads big day out.

Oh the hope. The hope is back. The awful cruel mistress.

I'm optimistic for this one, as well we should be. But we're nowhere near good enough to be cocky, so a professional job please lads and get the 3 points.

News articles today about Emery saying Martinez is now fully focussed on Villa after his world cup win even hint that we might have our number 1 stopper in goal again. How nice would that be :D  :D  

3-0 Villa.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Apparently luiz, mcginn and dendoncker all injured, ramsey only fit enough for the bench...

???        Kamara

?????                                 Buendia

Sanson and Bailey, with coutinho up front with Watkins?

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Apparently luiz, mcginn and dendoncker all injured, ramsey only fit enough for the bench...

???        Kamara

Something like:

Emi

Young Konsa Mings Digne

Sanson Kamara

Buendia Bailey

Coutinho 

Watkins

Edited by Villa87

We are always at our most vulnerable, when things are looking up.

Like the hungry boy, with a big dinner in front of him.....be careful not to gorge yourself.

We have built a formidable 9 points from 12......Lets not abandon, all the good defensive work, that has given us a platform to play from.

This could easily, be a banana skin game......We need to approach it with maturity, patience, composure and a cool head.

Try to gorge ourselves, and we could end up, being sick.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

We need to not underestimate wolves (as in the fans).

I'm pretty sure in the hardest run of games table, wolves have had the third hardest start or something, where as we had the third easiest or similar.

I think it's going to be a difficult game, Wolves have some good players that can definitely hurt us and their new manager is no mug, you can already see the signs of improvement in their two games since the World Cup break.

I would imagine their tactics will be to sit deep, soak up the pressure, get the crowd frustrated, and then try and hit us on the counter with pace of Traore, or sucker punch with a set piece. They'd probably be happy with a point if offered it, their situation isn't that desperate yet that they need to take any unnecessary risks, to begin with at least.

So I think we need to take great care in how we approach this one, we can't go too gung-ho and equally we shouldn't expect them to come at us and leave any spaces to exploit.

I'm sure Emery will have a plan on the best way to tackle this, we'll need good movement and sharp passing to break them down, the likes of Buendia and Coutinho could be key. Wouldn't be too surprised to see Ings at some point too, if it remains goalless going into the final third of the game.

If Luiz is not fit for this one then that will be a big miss.

2 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

???        Kamara

I can see chambers inthe holding role if all those are out.

Talk about bare bones though!

If some or all of McGinn, Luiz and Dendoncker are out, then we’re down to the bare bones and it’ll be very difficult. Has Emery/club confirmed this yet?

I wonder if Emery may use Cash on the right of midfield again like he did against Spurs? Otherwise Chambers, Sanson or Nakamba with Kamara I imagine and Cash, Bailey or Coutinho further forward?  Ings or Coutinho with Watkins perhaps? Or would he even change his preferred starting formation and play three central defenders with wing backs? 

Martinez

Young        Konsa             Mings         Digne

Kamara         Luiz/ Chambers

Cash                                Buendia

Bailey         Watkins

Subs: Olsen, Bednarek Augustinsson, Nakamba, J Ramsey, Sanson, Coutinho, Ings, Archer 

2-1 win but going to be a tough night if we don’t have the three available mentioned above.   UTV

Edited by ferguson1

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

We need to not underestimate wolves (as in the fans).

I'm pretty sure in the hardest run of games table, wolves have had the third hardest start or something, where as we had the third easiest or similar.

MaVilla, I agreed that we did not make the most of our winnable opportunities early on but with almost half the season now played this stat has less relevance now.

21 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Mum's a wolves fan. 

The 2-3 last year was a low point in our relationship. Her silent celebrations were worse than what orange and brown fireworks the garden would have been. 

We have to win this. Have to.

Don, only the Villa could spoil your relationship with ones mother!😂

Edited by Lochheads twin
  • Haha 1

If we're missing Luiz, McGinn and Dendoncker, maybe......

----------------------------Martinez------------------------

Young--------Konsa------------Mings-------Digne

-----------------Nakamba-----Kamara----------------

-----------Sanson----------------------Buendia---------

-------------------Bailey----------Watkins---------------

We need to keep Mings from getting into a willy waving contest with Costa.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

???        Kamara

Can see Sanson getting a very rare start given Nakamba is even more out of favour.

Only other option is drop Young in CM as that's what happened start of last season v Brentford when lost Ramsey and McGinn to covid on eye of the match.

Actually thinking about it Chambers is most logical option given we put him in for last 10 minutes on Sunday and he did a good job at Burnley last season which is only time he's played as a DM.

It's a big of a problem as Moutinho-Neves-Nunes is the strongest area of their side by a current mile so will level up the match a bit more.

If we want to be more on the front foot I'd be interested how Buendia would do dropping in as an 8 personally.