Pre-match thread

Nigel

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Only other option is drop Young in CM as that's what happened start of last season v Brentford when lost Ramsey and McGinn to covid on eye of the match.

That's a good shout actually. Young could play next to Kamara with Cash coming in - I think that might be preferable to Nakamba.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If we want to be more on the front foot I'd be interested how Buendia would do dropping in as an 8 personally.

Buendia is playing as an eight already?

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If we're missing Luiz, McGinn and Dendoncker, maybe......

----------------------------Martinez------------------------

Young--------Konsa------------Mings-------Digne

-----------------Nakamba-----Kamara----------------

-----------Sanson----------------------Buendia---------

-------------------Bailey----------Watkins---------------

We need to keep Mings from getting into a willy waving contest with Costa.

Nakamba and Sanson has 1 minute combined in premier league this season unless I missed a game where Marvellous came on. It's a big risk putting two rusty players into a high intensity derby although Wolves are generally a slow paced team over most areas of the pitch.

Think Chambers being put on indicates Emery's thinking and he'll start alongside Kamara as he's decent on the ball. Think Ings will be CF aswell and Ollie a bit wider for this.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

That's a good shout actually. Young could play next to Kamara with Cash coming in - I think that might be preferable to Nakamba.

Buendia is playing as an eight already?

Luiz is the eight, Buendia is inside forward.

Would this be too attacking for a cat and mouse local derby?

Kamara

Buendia

Bailey             Coutinho           Watkins

Ings

Kamara would certainly get his steps in with those options infront of him! Good job he's properly match fit now (cue him pulling up after 10 minutes tomorrow).

Emery will use all his experience and just drop in Chambers as it just feels a bit too risky especially if we're sloppy and go behind in first half.

Can see watkins on the left Bailey on the right and ings in the middle 

Then its who do we put with emi b and kamara, I would hope luiz is fit for the Game which leaves young the young young or sansom on the right.

25 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Kamara

Buendia

Bailey             Coutinho           Watkins

Ings

I think it would be - we'd be taking out two midfielders and replacing them with two forward players in Coutinho and Ings - I think that gives Wolves too much control of the game.

I think we need to replace Luiz as a six, that's absolutely vital for our shape - we've been playing with two 6's and two 8's (or 10's) who have licence to drift wide and a responsibility to defend wide, then two up front - I think going to a formation where we're pretty much giving up the midfield would be a mistake.

I think 

---------------Young-----Kamara-------------

-------Sanson-----------------Buendia------

--------------Bailey------Watkins------------

Would be a decent group if we keep the formation we've been playing - but if (and it's still if) we're missing four in the middle in Dendoncker, Luiz, McGinn and Ramsey, then I think Emery might change the shape up.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Can see watkins on the left Bailey on the right and ings in the middle 

Then its who do we put with emi b and kamara, I would hope luiz is fit for the Game which leaves young the young young or sansom on the right.

I think if we were to move to a 4-3-3, he'd drop Buendia and go with three who can control a game - naturally that would be Kamara, Luiz and maybe Dendoncker, but with what we have missing I think it'd be almost impossible.

Is Ramsey really that out of it he couldn't manage an hour in this? He's only been out for two weeks, not two months. If he's in contention for this wouldn't shock me if he started if we get green light from medical team.

Mind you with way Emery is shaping us up I think he's going to be far more effective playing Buendia's current role than a disciplined central position.

38 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Nakamba and Sanson has 1 minute combined in premier league this season unless I missed a game where Marvellous came on. It's a big risk putting two rusty players into a high intensity derby although Wolves are generally a slow paced team over most areas of the pitch.

Think Chambers being put on indicates Emery's thinking and he'll start alongside Kamara as he's decent on the ball. Think Ings will be CF aswell and Ollie a bit wider for this.

You might well be right on the rust and on Chambers - it's difficult if we're missing four in the middle - I think I'd prefer Young - I guess if Sanson isn't anywhere near ready and Coutinho is considered too lightweight we might see all three, with Chambers and Kamara holding and Young and Buendia in front of them - Young's flexibility at least gives us some options.

I can't see us dropping Bailey for Ings and I can't see us sacrificing the midfield to try to play all the forwards - that's the thing we did under Gerrard that we've moved away from.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

You might well be right on the rust and on Chambers - it's difficult if we're missing four in the middle - I think I'd prefer Young - I guess if Sanson isn't anywhere near ready and Coutinho is considered too lightweight we might see all three, with a Chambers and Kamara holding and Young and Buendia in front of them - Young's flexibility at least gives us some options.

I can't see us dropping Bailey for Ings and I can't see us sacrificing the midfield to try to play all the forwards - that's the thing we did under Gerrard that we've moved away from.

Young certainly has the game intelligence to play CM. Just a bit worried 3 games in a week might be a little too much for the old warrior but he's proved so many people wrong in last six months I wouldn't begrudge him starting there.

The curveball of course is with one day less rest than Wolves and putting plenty into Spurs we need some fresh legs somewhere in the pitch so perhaps Cash might go back to his Forest days and cause some damage himself in midfield? I'd be amazed if he dosen't start tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

The curveball of course is with one day less rest than Wolves and putting plenty into Spurs we need some fresh legs somewhere in the pitch so perhaps Cash might go back to his Forest days and cause some damage himself in midfield? I'd be amazed if he dosen't start tomorrow.

Cash is another good shout actually. 

I'm really hoping at least one of the four is able to play - we'll be weaker without all of them.

• Like 1

We all know the score with our players - they can be great one game and then poor/frustrating the next. 

This isn't like the previous four games that Unai has overseen. It is against a team lower than us and, with us being at home, the onus will be on us to be on the front foot. We know that in the past we've struggled to break teams down when they've sat deeper, so this is a test of the other side of the game for Unai and his staff. 

As fans, we've come to expect us to struggle to break teams down and so I guess most would expect us to be a bit frustrating tonight - I am expecting that! But, we all have to remember that Unai and the new staff have yet to see us play a game against lower opposition that may sit deeper and try to hit us on the break. It's all part of the learning process, I guess. 

It will be a very interesting watch. If we play the higher defensive line we may get caught out by the pace of Wolves' forwards and pay the price for that. I'm looking forward to this and to see how Unai changes things mid-game if things aren't going according to plan. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MaVilla said:

We need to not underestimate wolves (as in the fans).

I'm pretty sure in the hardest run of games table, wolves have had the third hardest start or something, where as we had the third easiest or similar.

Is this from the start of the season? Or a smaller sample?