VillaTalk Deadpool 2023

Xela

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Me too. Forever The Singing Detective. 

37 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

That is a sad one. 

For what it’s worth, I’m thinking Dennis Potter, rather than Harry.

I'll always remember that emotional line "Jerry, some queers burnt my club down". 

• Haha 3

Favourite thing about Gambon - didn't like any of the nonsense that surrounded being famous, and used to actively take the piss out of it. Most famously that lead him to just lying in interviews, making shit up in increasingly absurd scenarios to see how far he could take things. You'd have done hapless interviewer given 10 minutes with him to discuss his latest film and Gambon would just go off on some flight of fancy about how he was dating some African princess.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, theunderstudy said:

Michael Gambon gone, such a shame. So many great performances. For some reason his role in Layer Cake is jumping to mind for me 

"Welcome to the layer cake, son". 

• Like 1

On 28/09/2023 at 21:43, Chindie said:

He's also great in underrated modern Western Open Range. It's a small role and hardly nuanced but he has a riot chewing the scenery as 'Oirish' rancher.

Really enjoyed that film and a really great cast too. Kevin Costner, Robert Duvall, Annette Benning, Diego Luna and as you say, Gambon with the worlds worst Irish accent but you can forgive it because he's just such an outlandish character that you wish he was onscreen more.

On 28/09/2023 at 21:43, Chindie said:

He's also great in underrated modern Western Open Range. 

Overrated, for my money. Enjoyable enough, but if it had come out in the 1950s it would have rated as a 'B' movie. Now, speaking as something of a connoisseur of them, there is absolutely nothing wrong with B-westerns - but there is nothing here that makes it stand out from the crowd. The fact that it is always showing on one of the 'high numbered' TV channels says it all. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, sne said:

NFL legend and great name Dick Butkus 80 y.o. 

I’m sure he used to be in “My Two Dads”.

Edit: indeed he was, my memory is still working fine.

Edited by rjw63