VillaTalk Deadpool 2023

Xela

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Emma Freud

As I was surprised at this answer, a quick mooney suggests it's not Richard Curtis's partner but Sam Torrence the golfers wife and star of 'Carry on Emmanuelle (the one that killed the franchise) Suzanne Danielle'

00191644.jpg?w=700&h=560

A quick scan of Emma Freud's wiki page though did surprise me though. I never knew she was a backing singer for Mike Oldfield on the Tubular Bells tour.

Anyway there's a picture of Yarwood so we still see dead people.

2 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

As I was surprised at this answer, a quick mooney suggests it's not Richard Curtis's partner but Sam Torrence the golfers wife and star of 'Carry on Emmanuelle (the one that killed the franchise) Suzanne Danielle'

00191644.jpg?w=700&h=560

A quick scan of Emma Freud's wiki page though did surprise me though. I never knew she was a backing singer for Mike Oldfield on the Tubular Bells tour.

Anyway there's a picture of Yarwood so we still see dead people.

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Geoff Davies from Probe Records has died. @bickster...

F***, we havent had his ex-wife’s funeral yet, I thought I'd see him at that next week. They were still quite close even though they’d been divorced decades. I knew he’d been ill because Annie used to tell me that she’d been round his to take him a few bits and sort his house out after he came out of hospital.

I shall play a reggae CD that he sold me out of a bag (along with *ahem* herbal products) in his honour in the morning.

Fairly sure they have a son, well I know Annie does, I presume Geoff was the father. Imagine having to deal with that. 

John Robb, Louder Than War, on Geoff Davies:

We are sorry to hear of the death of the great Geoff Davies- the former boss of Probe Records and key driving force in the Liverpool post punk scene. It’s especially sad to hear the news two weeks after the loss of Annie – his former wife who took over the shop after the couple had separated with Geoff taking over the label.

Geoff (and Annie) was one of the true architects of the Liverpool music scene. One of those mavericks who seemed to live through every pop culture generation and facilitate the action. Every music scene is about space. A space where things happen. Probe was one of those spaces. The space where the freaks came to play and go home with new sounds in their bags and new pals to make art and music with.

Geoff was the facilitator.  He made the space where things happened. That is its own art from. As Liverpool punk scene face Richie Tomlinson says ‘Probe was our school, Geoff our Headmaster’.

He founded Probe Records on Clarence Street, close to Liverpool University on 16 January 1971 through to its classic spot the city centre where it became one of the most famous record shops in the UK.

In the punk and post-punk period the steps leading up to the shop’s front door were full of the exotic flora and fauna of the Liverpool music scene sat in their post-punk finary. The exotic punks and proto goths used the shop as their base for years. Inside, Pete Burns presided behind the counter, being hilariously rude to everyone and hovering in the background was Geoff presiding over the madness and the beautiful beat energy of the space – an extension of his own personality.

Geoff was one of a kind as well as being kind, he took the skinny punk kids, like our mini Blackpool crew, under his arm and bonded over a love of music and home-spun culture. He would turn you onto so much music just beyond your reach – he was a font of knowledge with keen cultural antennae, and the record shop’s own label – Probe Records – somehow survived driven by enthusiasm and not business. Every release was driven by instinct and not cash. This was the ultimate in DIY – a scouse Good Vibrations or Factory and the home of Half Man Half Biscuit – the perfect home for the idiosyncratic band.

Without Geoff, most of post-punk Liverpool probably would not have happened. Every scene needs a kingpin and connector. Every scene needs a wise elder, and every scene needs someone to join the dots and someone to build the playground for the creative droogs to run amok.

Godspeed Geoff, you built the tracks for the soundtrack, and your maverick spirit presided over one of the great music scenes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last year Otis Gibbs interviewed Dave Roe and they are a great set of interviews, talking about Cash in his later years, but also bridging the gap between the earlier Tennessee Two/Three and the later members. Love this particular interview about WS Holland.