World Cup: Matches

Genie

Some people, both English and non-English, refer to England as a 'big team'. But really we aren't. We want to be one of them, yes, but we aren't one of them. Here's why England aren't a big team... since the 1970s this is England's record in the World Cup knock out rounds against the actual big teams, against previous World Cup winners: 

• played 6
  • lost 6

(In 86 Argentina, 90 Germany, 98 Argentina, 02 Brazil, 10 Germany, 22 France).

With such an awful record since 1970, I've now almost given up hope that this will change in my lifetime. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

At least there are no apologies needed for being all in behind Emi now

I put money Argentina to win it before it started. I’m sticking with that, even though I know it will result in Emi going missing in Argentina for a month after 😂

Did we have a shot on goal? When he brought Saka off I was shocked , he was our most effective player.

.........Grealish is a far better player than Rashford or Foden, if you don't see this then I'm not interested in your opinion .

Our midfield was dreadful, Rice and Henderson never created anything, great at 2 yards passes and some last ditch tackles but we're against players like Griezmann, we need more from the middle 

Pickford was middle championship level, first goal was poor from his point of view 

Southgate yet again has failed us, that 3 tournaments in a row where we have failed to even get close to opposition we should be, imho, beating . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

It's about having an impact and doing something different. Sterling has come back from a horrible experience and he done nothing. He should have brought Grealish on when the 8 minutes went up.

So true if the burglary was as bad as the media have made out an having to rush home, Sterling should have been no where near the team. His head just wouldn't be in it. 100% bad move from Southgate letting his heart rule his head!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MCU said:

Also, all the build up and hype about this player and that player getting called up to the England squad for major comps like this (ie Maddison) what’s the point they don’t get played anyway. 

The Liverpool right back, honestly, the mind boggles at some of Safegate's decisions. 

1 minute ago, robby b said:

Some people, both English and non-English, refer to England as a 'big team'. But really we aren't. We want to be one of them, yes, but we aren't one of them. Here's why England aren't a big team... since the 1970s this is England's record in the World Cup knock out rounds against the actual big teams, against previous World Cup winners: 

• played 6
  • lost 6

(In 86 Argentina, 90 Germany, 98 Argentina, 02 Brazil, 10 Germany, 22 France).

With such an awful record since 1970, I've now almost given up hope that this will change in my lifetime. 

They're the international Aston Villa

And I mean that in all seriousness, the parallels are shocking

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Jack just has to come on much earlier, and it's not Villa bias.

On another note, can anyone believe Deschamps didn't start Sanson!?

Yet another manager who doesn't fancy him. 

Let's not even get to Guilbert😁

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

We really weren't. 

I only watched the second half, but France did nothing at all (bar their goal - brilliant cross). It was all England.

That said, there wasn’t much created from open play. 

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I have been wondering what the criticism everyone would end up agreeing on would be, I didn't for the life of me think it would be 'we'd have won this World cup quarter final against France if only James Ward-Prowse was anchoring the midfield'. 

Jokes aside, when your main tactic is to play for set pieces, not playing Grealish and not bringing JWP to the tournament just seems kind of counterintuitive. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

So true if the burglary was as bad as the media have made out an having to rush home, Sterling should have been no where near the team. His head just wouldn't be in it. 100% bad move from Southgate letting his heart rule his head!

I agree with this. What does it say to the other players who can't get a kick when this guy misses days of training, flies back in the day before and comes straight back into the team?  It's not like he's even in good form