World Cup: Matches

Genie

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

2006 was a great final between 2 top teams at the top of the game and while that was not as high scoring it a compelling game. 

That was a great final. It wasn’t better than yesterday’s though

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Cringe from Aguero, that was worse than John Terry. 

Its understandable he was allowed join as he had to retire early but I dont think they are winning with Aguero starting

I was sure France had made the big late comeback like Real against Man City, in a rope-a-dope ploy, and would go on to win it.

I thought France's second penalty was very harsh.

It seems on reflection that the difference between the two sides proved to be a certain Emiliano Martínez, who was every bit as important to Argentina's tournament win, as Messi.

Excellent for Villa's global brand profile.

15 hours ago, maqroll said:

I think the final is in Mexico city, so maybe a Sombrero and bottle of tequila?

It hasn't been confirmed yet but the overwhelming likelihood is that the final will be in New York.

60 of the 80 matches will be in the US with just 10 games each in Mexico and Canada.

I think the opening game will be at The Azteca in Mexico City tho. And having been there just last year, it will need one heck of renovation to be anywhere close to being a host stadium.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

2006 was a great final between 2 top teams at the top of the game and while that was not as high scoring it a compelling game. 

The gulf between last nights game and the 2006 final couldn't be any bigger in my opinion. I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention that game since about 20 minutes after the final whistle. 

This game had it all with comebacks, goals, penalties, last minute drama and of course the whole Messi subtext.

As such, the 2022 final will be talked about for decades to come. 2006? Not even in the same ballpark for me.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

The gulf between last nights game and the 2006 final couldn't be any bigger in my opinion. I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention that game since about 20 minutes after the final whistle. 

This game had it all with comebacks, goals, penalties, last minute drama and of course the whole Messi subtext.

As such, the 2022 final will be talked about for decades to come. 2006? Not even in the same ballpark for me.

The final when Zidane scored a panenka on Buffon then headbutted Materazzi is forgotten and not spoken about 😂

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

The final when Zidane scored a panenka on Buffon then headbutted Materazzi is forgotten and not spoken about 😂

Not really. The headbutt gets a mention now and again if people are discussing Zidane, but I haven't heard anyone talking about that final since 2006. It was a 1-1 draw and I can't remember anything from it apart from the Zidane incident.

Last night will live very long in the memory for the game and not just because one of the all time greats did something stupid.

The two matches are totally incomparable in my opinion. 

20 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

It hasn't been confirmed yet but the overwhelming likelihood is that the final will be in New York.

60 of the 80 matches will be in the US with just 10 games each in Mexico and Canada.

I think the opening game will be at The Azteca in Mexico City tho. And having been there just last year, it will need one heck of renovation to be anywhere close to being a host stadium.

Yeah, it's falling apart. But they have plenty of time. 

I can't wait, it's gonna be crazy here.

How did that idiotic meme celebrity chef get onto the pitch to “celebrate” with the Argentinian players? Let alone hold the trophy. Half didn’t even know he was and he basically harassed Messi for a selfie. That’s a massive security risk. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Cringe from Aguero, that was worse than John Terry. 

I disagree. He was a part of the early qualifying and the guy was forced to retire. As tough a break as they come. He was the one who carried Messi on his shoulders post match and I just think he was considered part of the squad still, if just spiritually. Terry wore a full kit with **** shinguards, nothing will ever be as cringe as that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Yeah, it's falling apart. But they have plenty of time. 

I can't wait, it's gonna be crazy here.

Yeah my missus is from Mexico City and I lived there last year  Amazing city, truly beautiful and with very nice people.

I really hope England get drawn to play in Mexico but I just know it'll be the North Eastern seaboard.

• Like 1