Club Crest Discussion (2022 version)

Demitri_C

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I really can’t see the logo stuff impacting whether we will sign a player or not.  They really won’t care. The  100k + weekly salary will be more on their minds. 

Yes and no. You are right about the logo itself, but I would suggest that the overall image and perception of the club does impact, even subconsciously.

'How could I say no to signing for [Insert random club with good image that has not won anything for ages here], they are a massive club'. The words 'massive club' in this instance being a euphemism for 'I have a good feeling about this'.    

Edit- as long as the wages are competitive, obvs

Edited by HKP90

Does anyone know about the finances of such a deal? What I don't get most is the digital re-branding surely costs next to nothing. Someone swapping out the shield for the round one and pressing enter (I over-simplify but graphic designers out there you get what I'm saying) The cost of replacing the physical items around the stadium might cost a bit but in the grand scheme of things not a huge amount surely?

So have we bought the design and own it outright? Are there licensing deals that would cost us more the more places we use it? Is there a financial element to this decision? is what I'm getting at. I'm trying really hard to make sense of it.

New man doesn't like it much is hardly a reason to half-arse it like we have.

40 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I'd be pretty narked if I was Emery. We're stretching to sign top players, and Unai is doing everything he can to get them to buy in to the project, and after yesterday it looks as though we are in two minds as to what we want our identity to be.  

Does not project confidence.

Don’t think new signings care about the badge tbh

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

**** hell, just pick a badge and stick with it, preferably for ever, and stop **** around.

We all like the old circle badge. It did the job. Bring it back and never change it again. It's so silly. Or just keep this one now it's here and everyone will get used to it. Whatever, just stop **** about

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

The club need to sort this, just implement what we voted for. If it needs a little sprucing up that can be done. The 90s badge was frequently refreshed and the Lerner badge was altered twice. Colour was toned down after one year and the Lion changed at the time prepared was removed in 2016.

Exactly where I am at.

I obviously like the new badge. I agree though that it could be better, it's not about the designers absolutely nailing it, but if we want a bit of gold piping or move the star or play with the colour scheme (Gold lion or whatever) then we can do that, same as we did with all the shields since 1992.

But I was looking forward to never seeing the Lerner shield ever again. No amount of not liking this element or that element of the new one changes that in any way.

52 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I'd be pretty narked if I was Emery. We're stretching to sign top players, and Unai is doing everything he can to get them to buy in to the project, and after yesterday it looks as though we are in two minds as to what we want our identity to be.  

Does not project confidence.

Dude players don't give a **** about a badge that's not going to be a deciding factor if they sign for us or not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

So what about all of the merch this season? I know they said the shirts and training wear that SJM is wearing will be the new crest, but what about all of the other crap we try to fleece to our long-suffering supporters?

I've mentioned in this thread before a few times about how the end of the Lerner Shield means I was going to upgrade on all that crap. Time for a new overpriced mug, a new overpiced pint glass etc etc.

Voting with my dollar is the only voice I have in this matter. Drop in the ocean maybe, but I wont be the only one.

15 hours ago, abdomlahor said:

Liverpool do it, no? They use the minimal Liverbird on the kits and classic on social media.

They use the same bird though don't they? The lion is different on both, even facing different directions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

They use the same bird though don't they? The lion is different on both, even facing different directions.

That's what Villa should have done. Introduce the new badge with the caveat of further consultation, and rock the Lion on social media/throughout VP. 

The lion itself should be a nailed on design that is timeless, if they want to mess around with the designs further feel free to do so, but this 'old image/new image' strategy is the worst decision they could have made.

I would love to hear a justification and a plan going forward pretty swiftly. 

• Like 2

Just now, Mic09 said:

That's what Villa should have done. Introduce the new badge with the caveat of further consultation, and rock the Lion on social media/throughout VP. 

The lion itself should be a nailed on design that is timeless, if they want to mess around with the designs further feel free to do so, but this 'old image/new image' strategy is the worst decision they could have made.

Agree completely, it would be the best short term stop gap solution. 

Nobody wants to keep the old badge. The new lion is excellent and very nicely executed. Just drop the roundel and run with the Lion in all of our branding for the season, then you don't have the bizarre disconnect of running 2 badges. 

26 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Pay image brand consultants a ton of money- carry out a consultation to the fans- they tell them they like the old brand- panic and to suggest to flip it the other way- get paid.

Edited by The Fun Factory

The kit has the new badge with the lion facing right in the traditional place on the front, and the old lion facing left on the back. What an utter shambles.

1 hour ago, wishywashy said:

Sup

I think you should be proud. Since you've joined I've seen an infinite increase in the number of people using the phrase wishy washy.

You've infiltrated the minds of VT in under 3 months. 

• Haha 2

Maybe I'm a bit laid back, but I have never contested any changes in badge or kit, I've just accepted they change it.....but then I never moan about what food the wife puts in front of me,either, I just eat it.

Without knowing the shenanigans behind the scenes, I can't comment with any real meaning.

I am more interested in the transfer Market and when the New stand will be built, than a badge.

I look at all the badges together, from the Premier League and they all look ok to me, our new badge and the old badge looks ok, bar from a few tweeks.

I have never been bothered to be overly fussed about this sort of stuff.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

Does anyone know about the finances of such a deal? What I don't get most is the digital re-branding surely costs next to nothing. Someone swapping out the shield for the round one and pressing enter (I over-simplify but graphic designers out there you get what I'm saying) The cost of replacing the physical items around the stadium might cost a bit but in the grand scheme of things not a huge amount surely?

So have we bought the design and own it outright? Are there licensing deals that would cost us more the more places we use it? Is there a financial element to this decision? is what I'm getting at. I'm trying really hard to make sense of it.

New man doesn't like it much is hardly a reason to half-arse it like we have.

It’s more than swapping the badge around and jobs a good un. It’s the total rebrand package. 

the match day programs would need to be redesigned to match the branding 

all the signage around VP and BMH

packaging

Website

social media content 

letter heads

business cards

team bus

and loads more I can’t think of top of my head

all of this will cost money and over a course of a season may just rack up in to the millions more than likely 10s of millions.

I’m sure the club own the rights to this logo, it would be too much red tape if they didn’t. But owning the copyright adds a lot of extra cost. Probably more than we care to know. 

I wouldn’t say Chris Heck dislikes the new badge, but probably doesn’t see it as the right one for global branding. 

With my branding and marketing hat on, it’s a well put together badge, it’s clean, it’s nice, but it’s generic. It has nothing unique to Aston Villa. It’s a round badge with the same design elements as 5 other premier league clubs. It’s not going to stand out to global investors and fan bases when we look like the rest, in particular bigger clubs like Man City or Chelsea. 

For Heck/Villa to backtrack on the new logo would take more than a “I don’t like it”. They’re probably concerned about other elements like potentially missing out on deals and revenue, gaining new fans or not truly representing the existing fans. 

this whole situation is a “balls up” but I’d only say it’s a bulls up in the short term. 

the club has a rich history and lofty ambitions, let’s use that to create a unique identity. 

we nail our branding (not just our badge) and communications. The club could really stand out in a busy market. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Â